China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

China had its highest daily case rate in over two months. Is the second wave starting? More than likely not I hope.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Smurfy123

The second wave brigade are out in force now after hiding for a few weeks since the virus has been on the wane.
More cases along the way is unavoidable it really is. In Ireland here we are going to see more cases down the line but the key to this is that more than likely 1 in 10 will need hospital treatment and 1-100 who get it will need ICU. Now Florida have seen a spike in cases but hospital admissions has dropped dramatically in the same time. People need to realise this. A doctor in Florida said this morning yes we are getting more cases but the virus is less affective.
Scaremongering is hitting new heights

armaghniac

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 15, 2020, 08:54:37 AM
China had its highest daily case rate in over two months. Is the second wave starting? More than likely not I hope.

Yes, the fire has reignited, but in this case they are fire watchers positioned around and a fleet of fire trucks waiting to be dispatched to any outbreak. They can control it. But the point is that vigilance is needed.

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 15, 2020, 09:34:28 AM
The second wave brigade are out in force now after hiding for a few weeks since the virus has been on the wane.
More cases along the way is unavoidable it really is. In Ireland here we are going to see more cases down the line but the key to this is that more than likely 1 in 10 will need hospital treatment and 1-100 who get it will need ICU. Now Florida have seen a spike in cases but hospital admissions has dropped dramatically in the same time. People need to realise this. A doctor in Florida said this morning yes we are getting more cases but the virus is less affective.

More data is needed about who exactly is getting the disease to make the call on this. Older people are reasonably trying to avoid it while younger people don't give a damn. Perhaps it is changing and that would be great.

QuoteScaremongering is hitting new heights

AsI I said vigilence is needed, it hasn't gone away you know. We don't need scaremongering, we don't need the pretence that the problem has gone away, we need rational behaviour.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Senior hurling

https://www.ft.com/content/d9e52589-ea36-4900-be1e-693387887097

Half of Beijing's districts reported new coronavirus cases on Monday in the country's most serious upsurge in infections for months. Authorities announced that 79 people had been hospitalised and there were 36 new infections in the Chinese capital, a day after more than 75,000 tests were conducted in the city of 20m. The cluster of infections linked to Beijing's largest seafood and vegetable market has become the most serious outbreak since China said it had largely succeeded in controlling the pandemic.

Smurfy123

No young people done what they were asked to do
To say the don't give a damn is wrong
The fire will be lite until a vaccine is found but it will be quickly put out
The chances of getting this virus is very low
The chances of getting it and going into ICU is extremely low

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 15, 2020, 10:08:54 AM

With only 95% of people actually contracting the virus surely this virus will be around for a while yet?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 15, 2020, 10:51:43 AM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 15, 2020, 10:08:54 AM

With only 95% of people actually contracting the virus surely this virus will be around for a while yet?

Department of Health scientific data indicates there could be repeated waves of the coronavirus outbreak and they could be much worse that what Northern Ireland has already experienced and with "much greater" deaths.
Modelling, released by the department late on Sunday evening shows less than 5% of the population have recovered from Covid-19 - meaning that over 95% of people in Northern Ireland are susceptible.
It also indicated what could happen if the rate of infections - the R rate - rose from its current level of below one, to 1.2 or above - resulting in "repeated waves" of the epidemic if restrictions are not put in place at different times over the rest of the year.
If the R rate rose to 1.5 in early October, a second wave of the epidemic could result in close to 800 patients requiring intensive care support. That would overwhelm the health system which currently has 98 ICU beds available.
In another scenario where the R rate rose to 1.3, the epidemic could peak in early December with just over 300 patients requiring ICU support if measures taken to suppress the virus were ineffective - resulting in "much greater" deaths than in the first wave, according to the document.

If the rate rose to 1.2, it means the epidemic would still be increasing at the end of 2020 and over 100 patients would be in critical care.

Rossfan

It hasn't gone away you know.
I fear that like all colds and flus it may come at us strongly from October on.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

larryin89

Open her up if we die we die , this can't go on indefinitely, poverty levels will go through the roof eventually and it will be much worse , lesser of two evils surely ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Hereiam

I think its time things opened again, the current situation cannot continue or there is going to be serious repercussions to society as a whole. I think if the message of washing your hands and stay at home if you develop flue symptoms is kept up i do believe we can ride this out until a vaccine is developed. I know when I would catch a cold in the past it would have to be a very bad one for me to take the day off, but now if i feel one coming on i will be stayin at home until it runs it course or get tested if its still an option.

A common sense approach is needed here and I know there are alot of people who just don't listen but if the vast majority do the right things we should be ok.

sid waddell

The second wave brigade are out in force now

Demonising people who have a different opinion to yourself, using troll-like language, is the right-wing culture war way of "debating", ie. not debating at all.

You need to realise that you are not a virologist or epidemiologist and that virologists and epidemiologists with different, evidence based opinions to you, who warn that this virus is likely still in its early stages, are not "scaremongering". They are being highly responsible.

Dismissing the threat of the virus - as you continually do, for what reasons I do not know but they smack of somebody who desperately wants to believe something for which there is basically no evidence - is highly irresponsible.

tbrick18

Quote from: sid waddell on June 15, 2020, 02:32:27 PM
The second wave brigade are out in force now

Demonising people who have a different opinion to yourself, using troll-like language, is the right-wing culture war way of "debating", ie. not debating at all.

You need to realise that you are not a virologist or epidemiologist and that virologists and epidemiologists with different, evidence based opinions to you, who warn that this virus is likely still in its early stages, are not "scaremongering". They are being highly responsible.

Dismissing the threat of the virus - as you continually do, for what reasons I do not know but they smack of somebody who desperately wants to believe something for which there is basically no evidence - is highly irresponsible.

Spot on Sid!

There's an awful lot of this type of rhetoric going around that we've all been duped and that people have next to no chance of catching this.

What people need to realise is that if we hadn't gone down the road we did with lock down and social distancing, the infection and death rates would be much higher.
The fact that the measures have worked so far in this country does not diminish the risk the virus poses. If 95% of the population (NI) haven't caught the virus yet, as is reported, that is 19 times more people than have already caught it. If we were to assume 100% of people were to contract the virus, that could mean 19 times more deaths...even if we use the official figures and not the more accurate NISRA figures of excess deaths, that would mean the number of deaths would be in the region of 10K. If we were to use the excess deaths figures then we would be looking at closer to 20K deaths if there was 100% infection rate. 10-20K people dying of a disease in a place as small as here is substantial by any measure.

I think a lot of people just assume that the lock down had no impact at all on spread and the unfortunate thing is it would probably take a second more severe wave of this to convince them.
Some people never listen until it's too late.

Looking at China today and their response to a new cluster just adds more weight the to the probability of more outbreaks here.

the goal was on

the reality is covid is a highly infectious disease. You only have to look at hows its spread around the world to realise that. Locks downs were key to both managaing it and increasing awareness of how we must now live to ensure we can minimise the spread. When GAA returns its likely at some stage to see cases but you hope we are in a position to control these should that happen. Whats unacceptable is clubs and county teams who are currently flounting gaa and government laws.

Smurfy123

No Sid its an opinion ok. This chat only gets going when bad news is out iut.
Some people thrive on getting the bad news going.
95% have it and there lies my point
We will gets spikes that is unavoidable but we now have the things in place to deal with it
Don't forget only 13% of the people at the start of this who got it needed hospital treatment. It now seems like it is not as deadly as once was so I would imagine that to now be down to as low as 5%.
So imagine we had a massive massive speak say our worst day 160 cases 8 would need hospital treatment
Milltown you still milking the furlong?

JoG2