Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on April 19, 2020, 08:51:21 PM
Quote from: laoislad on April 19, 2020, 08:31:49 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 19, 2020, 05:19:06 PM
A good drop in the death numbers today.
Where?

NI 1.
Engerland well down too, duno bout Sco and Wal. Ita and Spa also down.
Prob the weekend explains some of the data but good to see smaller numbers.
Havin said that i take them all with a pinch of salt these days

Many places are  down onSundays, the office is closed. You then get a rake on Tuesday
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

nrico2006

Big drop from last Sunday though as well. But Tuesday usually tells the most accurate state of play.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

johnnycool

Quote from: bennydorano on April 19, 2020, 11:01:39 AM
Bought the UK Times and read the full article, good read but nothing overly surprising if you assumed it's been handled badly from the start - 99% of posters here fall into that category.

The most interesting point I read was that only a decade or so ago the UK was admired for it's Pandemic plans and preparedness and Singapore's Pandemic plan was copied from the UK! Unsurprisingly austerity and Brexit planning are pinpointed as the main reasons for it's current state as well as more recent bouts of hubris and good old fashioned incompetence.

It's even less surprising when you listen to Boris talk about the coronavirus back in February at a speech in Greenwich to the business community @9:50 in then it all becomes clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV1XZQ_8eqE

He's no fúcking Clark Kent.

APM

Quote from: johnnycool on April 20, 2020, 09:12:54 AM
Bought the UK Times and read the full article, good read but nothing overly surprising if you assumed it's been handled badly from the start - 99% of posters here fall into that category.

The most interesting point I read was that only a decade or so ago the UK was admired for it's Pandemic plans and preparedness and Singapore's Pandemic plan was copied from the UK! Unsurprisingly austerity and Brexit planning are pinpointed as the main reasons for it's current state as well as more recent bouts of hubris and good old fashioned incompetence.

It's even less surprising when you listen to Boris talk about the coronavirus back in February at a speech in Greenwich to the business community @9:50 in then it all becomes clear.

Opened that and went to 9:50 and listened to him wittering on, lots of jingoism and speculation about Brexit bullshit, but nothing about CV, unless I missed the point. 

RadioGAAGAA

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-military-sympt/coronavirus-clue-most-cases-aboard-us-aircraft-carrier-are-symptom-free-idUSKCN21Y2GB

So, considering this US Navy screw up as essentially a controlled test environment.

~60% of COVID cases have no symptoms.

Good and bad. Good in that many more among the general population may have had it and fought it off than first thought, bad in that dumb fukkers who have no symptoms think they are grand and don't need to observe social distancing measures - while they could actually be a carrier and infecting others.
i usse an speelchekor

johnnycool

Quote from: APM on April 20, 2020, 10:01:59 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 20, 2020, 09:12:54 AM

Opened that and went to 9:50 and listened to him wittering on, lots of jingoism and speculation about Brexit bullshit, but nothing about CV, unless I missed the point.

Apologes, at 9:45 he starts on about Coronavirus and it's economic impact due to "market segregation which goes beyond which is medically rational".

do you not think he's talking about not going into lockdown and keeping the economy intact rather than locking down to prevent contagion?

Milltown Row2

During this pandemic are normal flu deaths being recorded as just that, flu deaths and what is the rate of those since this all started ?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 20, 2020, 11:31:42 AM
During this pandemic are normal flu deaths being recorded as just that, flu deaths and what is the rate of those since this all started ?

Probably very little as the flu will be getting few chances to spread.
i usse an speelchekor

GetOverTheBar

Depends on Medical Practitioner. Like anything, you could have one that is thorough and does the job to the tee or you could have one who'll throw down, Covid 19...next.

screenexile

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 20, 2020, 11:51:06 AM

Depends on Medical Practitioner. Like anything, you could have one that is thorough and does the job to the tee or you could have one who'll throw down, Covid 19...next.

I don't think you can just "throw down" Covid19 unless there's been a test no??

macdanger2

Seasonal flu is largely gone by this time of year

Milltown Row2

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 20, 2020, 12:11:39 PM
Seasonal flu is largely gone by this time of year

Depending on where you live I suppose
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: screenexile on April 20, 2020, 11:58:03 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 20, 2020, 11:51:06 AM

It's basically a form upon death which they are legally obliged to complete. Unless there is foul play, suspected foul play or any kind of autopsy it will just be filed with the national office of statistics - the below is issued to Medical Practitioners since the outbreak -

3. Referring deaths to the coroner
• Covid-19 is an acceptable direct or underlying cause of death for the purposes of
completing the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death
• Covid-19 is not a reason on its own to refer a death to a coroner under the
Coroners and Justice Act 2009.
• That Covid-19 is a notifiable disease under the Health Protection (Notification)
Regulations 2010 does not mean referral to a coroner is required by virtue of its
notifiable status.

armaghniac

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 20, 2020, 11:50:18 AM

Probably very little as the flu will be getting few chances to spread.

Exactly. In Hong Kong the flu season ended early because of the social distancing etc.

Quote from: screenexile on April 20, 2020, 11:58:03 AM

I think if the patient had the clinical symptoms then you can put it down.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Itchy

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 20, 2020, 10:06:08 AM
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-military-sympt/coronavirus-clue-most-cases-aboard-us-aircraft-carrier-are-symptom-free-idUSKCN21Y2GB

So, considering this US Navy screw up as essentially a controlled test environment.

~60% of COVID cases have no symptoms.

Good and bad. Good in that many more among the general population may have had it and fought it off than first thought, bad in that dumb fukkers who have no symptoms think they are grand and don't need to observe social distancing measures - while they could actually be a carrier and infecting others.

Mostly good I would say as it may help scientists to understand why the people who carry it with no symptoms are not getting sick. Is it diet, is it genetics, weight, smoking etc. If that can be understood then perhaps it can help people protect itself. Good also in that they % fatalities for those who are infected would not be as high as 1st believed. However, it does little to protect the people who are vulnerable today. Someone posted an article earlier on this thread from Harvard I think that presented similar results in a study.