Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on April 14, 2020, 04:35:12 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 14, 2020, 01:40:11 PM
Quote from: Franko on April 14, 2020, 01:20:30 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 13, 2020, 09:47:14 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 13, 2020, 09:39:10 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 13, 2020, 09:26:52 PM
There were stories doing the rounds in Italy and Spain that there were old peoples homes where the staff just legged it and the army had to come in. How true that is I don't know but you could well believe it

There is some truth to that. But staff in these places had little or no PPE, a lot of them came down with the virus and had to isolate, so things became increasingly impossible for those left. In most cases they didn't just leg it, but had been calling for help for many days. These types of homes are a real point of vulnerability and places that have kept the deaths down have had a plan for such places.

How could you plan for this? I never heard one expert on here discuss it other that the SARS, Bird flu and other virus attacks which were not global to this extent.

Unfortunately it takes something like this to change mindsets. Everyone,  every country it seems was caught out

There were plenty of people *on this thread* talking about early stage mitigation procedures which could and should have been have been put in place to minimise the effect of this on people.  Personally, I feel that the decisions taken by businesses and the GAA in the north were influenced by people of this ilk in the wider community and very definitely helped things by their early actions.

Experts *on this thread* were telling those people to shut up because they didn't like what they were hearing and "there's nothing we can do about it so we may as well just let it play out".

Those "experts" include you.   ::)

Take your hard on for me elsewhere, I'm not into that ;)

I'm talking about long before that. not a week or two into this, as no one thought it would spread like it did.

I put a thread up on experts, to gauge who would actually know what they were talking about rather than trailing things of Wiki or Google, letting things play out I'm nearly sure I said for Brexit after it was voted, its going to be a lot worse after this, but I'd that's the least of the economies worries.

But sure just keep rowing in behind my posts every so often ::)

You keep up spouting the nonsense, I'll keep rowing in.

As for the bit in bold.

L O L

There are none so blind....

Whatever amuses you
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 14, 2020, 04:49:25 PM
There were stories doing the rounds in Italy and Spain that there were old peoples homes where the staff just legged it and the army had to come in. How true that is I don't know but you could well believe it

There is some truth to that. But staff in these places had little or no PPE, a lot of them came down with the virus and had to isolate, so things became increasingly impossible for those left. In most cases they didn't just leg it, but had been calling for help for many days. These types of homes are a real point of vulnerability and places that have kept the deaths down have had a plan for such places.

How could you plan for this? I never heard one expert on here discuss it other that the SARS, Bird flu and other virus attacks which were not global to this extent.

Unfortunately it takes something like this to change mindsets. Everyone,  every country it seems was caught out

There were plenty of people *on this thread* talking about early stage mitigation procedures which could and should have been have been put in place to minimise the effect of this on people.  Personally, I feel that the decisions taken by businesses and the GAA in the north were influenced by people of this ilk in the wider community and very definitely helped things by their early actions.

Experts *on this thread* were telling those people to shut up because they didn't like what they were hearing and "there's nothing we can do about it so we may as well just let it play out".

I'm talking about long before that. not a week or two into this, as no one thought it would spread like it did.

I put a thread up on experts, to gauge who would actually know what they were talking about rather than trailing things of Wiki or Google, letting things play out I'm nearly sure I said for Brexit after it was voted, its going to be a lot worse after this, but I'd that's the least of the economies worries.

As for the bit in bold.

L O L

Whatever amuses you

Your posts are more funny strange than funny ha-ha if I'm honest.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on April 14, 2020, 04:59:17 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 14, 2020, 04:49:25 PM

As for the bit in bold.

L O L

Whatever amuses you

Your posts are more funny strange than funny ha-ha if I'm honest.

Whatever keeps you posting back then. stay safe and hope you get through it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RadioGAAGAA

Its a bit disconcerting to see the media push politicians here and elsewhere about easing lockdowns.

The US in particular seem to be under the impression (as led from the media) that they are on top of things.

A plateau in cases is not the end. It can signify the beginning of the end, no more, no less.

After reaching peak, the lockdown needs to continue for several weeks after to drive the number of carriers right down. Otherwise it'll utterly explode again as soon as restrictions are eased.

Furthermore, even after driving the number of carriers down, then a massive push on testing and tracing - far beyond the current farce - is needed so any cases that do spring up are identified quickly, and potential carriers also quickly tested and further isolated if needs be.

I can already see the stupid media pushing stupid politicians into lifting too early, not being prepared and the whole thing spiralling again.
i usse an speelchekor

J70

The US right wing media in particular is starting to amp up the calls for reopening and, indeed, starting to question why the lockdown was implemented in the first place.

A particularly idiotic piece by Dennis Praeger today, for example:
https://townhall.com/columnists/dennisprager/2020/04/14/has-the-lockdown-worked-n2566857

Hits all the usual marks, including the American right wing's disdain for "experts".

balladmaker

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 14, 2020, 08:04:55 PM
Its a bit disconcerting to see the media push politicians here and elsewhere about easing lockdowns.

The US in particular seem to be under the impression (as led from the media) that they are on top of things.

A plateau in cases is not the end. It can signify the beginning of the end, no more, no less.

After reaching peak, the lockdown needs to continue for several weeks after to drive the number of carriers right down. Otherwise it'll utterly explode again as soon as restrictions are eased.

Furthermore, even after driving the number of carriers down, then a massive push on testing and tracing - far beyond the current farce - is needed so any cases that do spring up are identified quickly, and potential carriers also quickly tested and further isolated if needs be.

I can already see the stupid media pushing stupid politicians into lifting too early, not being prepared and the whole thing spiralling again.

In the UK, the media and government seem to be one and the same, you'd almost think the government were loading the media with the questions.  UK government reaction to COVID19 is nothing short of shambolic and negligent, they've caused thousands of deaths.

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on April 14, 2020, 08:19:58 PM
The US right wing media in particular is starting to amp up the calls for reopening and, indeed, starting to question why the lockdown was implemented in the first place.

A particularly idiotic piece by Dennis Praeger today, for example:
https://townhall.com/columnists/dennisprager/2020/04/14/has-the-lockdown-worked-n2566857

Hits all the usual marks, including the American right wing's disdain for "experts".
It will increase infections and cause an even bigger crash

J70

NYC just added 3700 people to its death toll. Brings it to more than 10K in just the city. The extra people were never tested,  but are presumed to have died from it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/us/coronavirus-updates.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Main Street

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 14, 2020, 03:48:25 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 14, 2020, 03:45:03 PM

Can't help but notice the Swedes missing from this with their interesting approach.
That list is nonsense. And it isn't a question of what is the best approach, more what you can do with a population who can act responsibly.
Fwiw, despite the Swedes being very slow to recommend self isolation for returnees to the country, very  slow to inform close knit immigrant communities in Stockholm  in their own language about the health info,  they are doing reasonably with their approach. Ireland are just next to to Swedan in the deaths per population table, doing quite poorly and struggling despite the martial law lock down approach.
Another country I mentioned was Iceland  https://www.covid.is/data who have a similar approach to Sweden, there is no lock down,  they have detected a high rate of infections per population but have managed to contain it without a lock down, their peak is well in the past, and they they're preparing for a controlled responsible normality in the next 2 weeks. No roll of the dice as some uninformed folks like to label it.

The data in Ireland is poor, there is no table numbering the recovered. How on earth can one measure the real progress if any,  if you can't compare the numbers of recovered  to the numbers of  live infected?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Main Street on April 15, 2020, 01:22:26 AM

Can't help but notice the Swedes missing from this with their interesting approach.
That list is nonsense. And it isn't a question of what is the best approach, more what you can do with a population who can act responsibly.
Fwiw, despite the Swedes being very slow to recommend self isolation for returnees to the country, very  slow to inform close knit immigrant communities in Stockholm  in their own language about the health info,  they are doing reasonably with their approach. Ireland are just next to to Swedan in the deaths per population table, doing quite poorly and struggling despite the martial law lock down approach.
Another country I mentioned was Iceland  https://www.covid.is/data who have a similar approach to Sweden, there is no lock down,  they have detected a high rate of infections per population but have managed to contain it without a lock down, their peak is well in the past, and they they're preparing for a controlled responsible normality in the next 2 weeks. No roll of the dice as some uninformed folks like to label it.

The data in Ireland is poor, there is no table numbering the recovered. How on earth can one measure the real progress if any,  if you can't compare the numbers of recovered  to the numbers of  live infected?

Recovery doesn't sell fear presumably.

I'm also still continuing to search for data on smokers with this disease from any country, but it's not forthcoming. Why?

No argument with the point in bold, perfectly fair question to ask.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

How can Sweden be doing well and Ireland poorly with almost identical figures? Is that because Sweden have bigger population? There is no way Belguim or Holland are doing better than Ireland. Also Iceland are going through the exact same restrctions as here, my close relative lives there. There has been a lot of crap in media about Iceland. They are testing a lot but most of the other stuff I have read is just plain untrue.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 15, 2020, 09:15:44 AM

Recovery doesn't sell fear presumably.

I'm also still continuing to search for data on smokers with this disease from any country, but it's not forthcoming. Why?

No argument with the point in bold, perfectly fair question to ask.

The general consensus here in the North is that the data on gov.ie is good , very informative and updated regularly , compared to what we are getting.

Rudi

Spot on &  table looks like someone pulled it out of their arse, it means nothing. In 18 months time we can review data from respective countries and generate a table showing real performance.
Regarding Irelands performance even with a full lockdown the figures are poor, the handling of nursing homes was shocking with people double jobing, 20k Irish over to Cheltenham without warning of the potential risks or banning of flights, Dublin airport - complete lack of information, cleaning procedures & no hand santizer. But sure we are doing better than the UK & Boris Johnson is a fool.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 15, 2020, 09:24:44 AM
The general consensus here in the North is that the data on gov.ie is good , very informative and updated regularly , compared to what we are getting.

It's all relative though :(

Who has the least misinformation.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 15, 2020, 10:08:33 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 15, 2020, 09:24:44 AM

It's all relative though :(

Who has the least misinformation.

True to a point.