China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Australia's remoteness? Ireland's proximity to the UK where they made a pig's ear of it?

armaghniac

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on April 10, 2020, 12:30:12 AM
Can somebody explain the difference with the number of deaths in Ireland compared to Australia?

Similar no of recorded cases, obv Ireland much higher per head. Ireland 6,574, Aus 6,104
Similar no of tests carried out per head of population, so not disproportionate there. 10,734 v 12,946
Ireland has 263 deaths so far with only 51 in Aus.

Covid19 got into the nursing homes in Ireland, probably it did not in Australia.

QuoteIt looks like patients aren't recovering in Ireland (or not being reported) - only 25 recoveries compared to 2,987 in Australia.

Recoveries are not properly reported.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 10, 2020, 12:41:17 AM
Australia's remoteness? Ireland's proximity to the UK where they made a pig's ear of it?
Australia is remote from the rest of the world, but I wouldn't think more remote internally than Ireland.
Quick google search tells me 29% of Aussies live remotely but 36% Irish (rural means a different thing in Aus though!)

Proximity with UK/Europe would explain the difference in cases, but not the deaths disparity.

We (Australia) have a LOT of Chinese students and visitors.
Interesting to note though, that while the bulk of Australia's confirmed cases were from overseas these were mostly from Europe, not Asia.
Hasta la victoria siempre

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: armaghniac on April 10, 2020, 12:54:18 AM
Can somebody explain the difference with the number of deaths in Ireland compared to Australia?

Similar no of recorded cases, obv Ireland much higher per head. Ireland 6,574, Aus 6,104
Similar no of tests carried out per head of population, so not disproportionate there. 10,734 v 12,946

Covid19 got into the nursing homes in Ireland, probably it did not in Australia.

QuoteIt looks like patients aren't recovering in Ireland (or not being reported) - only 25 recoveries compared to 2,987 in Australia.

Good point on the nursing homes.
Would be interested to hear about how recoveries are reported. You would think the Govt would have an interest in tracking this.
Hasta la victoria siempre

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on April 10, 2020, 01:00:23 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 10, 2020, 12:54:18 AM

Good point on the nursing homes.
Would be interested to hear about how recoveries are reported. You would think the Govt would have an interest in tracking this.

It seems saying things aren't being reported without a link from better sources or history of this sort of thing is the done thing !
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Keyser soze

The reporting of this in the UK is laughable. You would need to have a keen eye to get a handle on the number of deaths in the UK on a daily basis from the BBC website, yet when deaths were high in Spain and Italy their figures were the leading article for weeks on end. Now on the BBC it is Stanley Johnson telling people he is now taking the disease seriously, the mad oul ****. If I want to check UK daily deaths it is easier to do so on the RTE site.

Also the UK is reporting only deaths of people who die in hospital and do not include people at home, in Care etc which is of course vastly under-representing the actual death rate.

The silence from the MSM on these matters is deafening, happy to spew the daily line that things are getting better or whatever BS they are fed at the daily briefing. No-one appears to want to confront these wankers on the horrendous balls up they have made of the public health system over the past 4 decades and who are now flat out lying through their teeth. I suppose it is only a matter of time before they latch on to some minority group to carry the can, unfortunately the immigrants who are dying in their droves to save the rest of us are out of the loop on this one [for now], Jeremy Corbett had the ill manners to f**k off at the wrong time and we cannot therefore shift the blame onto his pinko commie anti semitic shoulders.

So with no handy bogeyman to blame and rather than asking some hard questions about the shit storm that is unfolding in front of our eyes the MSM are actively conspiring with this shambles of a Tory government in pretending all is well.

johnnycool

what I found utterly astounding at the No10 daily press briefing on the day they'd just announced over 950 deaths in a single day, more than China, Italy or Spain ever reported the press were asking when the "lock down" would end.

What planet are these not jobs on?

Will it ever end

It seems to be an increasing narrative over the last few days - when will lockdown end!

Each journalist asks it in some roundabout way - as if their trying to get a scoop on this... madness!

imtommygunn

Those last 2 posts resonate with me too. It's a scramble to find out any death tally and like you say keyser soze big death tallies in other countries are the headlines.

950 deaths and they say the lockdown won't end just yet. Utter madness. I don't know if they just look at the incoming cases or what but I suspect no and they are just complete bluffers. The UK is fundamentally broken in many ways here. Politicians are useless, the media is beyond ridiculous and the list goes on.

Stanley Johnson said Boris "took one for the team". What the f**k does that even mean.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Ambrose on April 09, 2020, 11:25:37 PM
Quote from: Will it ever end on April 09, 2020, 10:19:24 PM
Australia & NZ looking to have things really well under control - interestingly construction & manufacturing both still open in Oz

It could be a seasonal thing, Oz and NZ are both at the end of their summer/going into autumn, unfortunately we don't know enough about this virus yet.

Australia and NZ both have control of their own borders. They basically pulled the plug one day and that was that. To be fair that was something that was mentioned earlier in this thread but I caused a bit of a row saying the airports would be the last thing to close here.

Not to sound tooooo right wing, but Ireland....both North and South do not control it's basic geographical advantage. The Aussies and Kiwis do which helped them massively.

NW is an interesting case though. Thought the below was a decent article on it. I think this type of thing will happen again, Ireland needs to get it's house in order perhaps with cross agreement on shutting borders should something like this reemege in the next seasonal virus season but obviously there won't be much hope in getting our politicians to think about something so sensible.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/coronavirus/new-zealand-isnt-just-flattening-the-curve-its-squashing-it/ar-BB12hgdZ

TabClear

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 10, 2020, 10:40:50 AM
Those last 2 posts resonate with me too. It's a scramble to find out any death tally and like you say keyser soze big death tallies in other countries are the headlines.

950 deaths and they say the lockdown won't end just yet. Utter madness. I don't know if they just look at the incoming cases or what but I suspect no and they are just complete bluffers. The UK is fundamentally broken in many ways here. Politicians are useless, the media is beyond ridiculous and the list goes on.

Stanley Johnson said Boris "took one for the team". What the f**k does that even mean.

It means that the moron in charge of the UK has a moron for a father.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 10, 2020, 10:40:50 AM

There's an article somewhere that I read that David Cameron did a gutting job on the BBC when he was in power, i.e. putting like minded people in positions within that organisation to have influence on what news is presented and how.
FFS they even edited out the studio audience laughing during the QT leaders debate when Boris Johnson gave an answer when asked about the importance of trustworthiness, let alone changing the footage of him laying a wreath to that from the previous year as he made a balls of doing even that.

Sky news speaks for itself, ditto the Sun, the Daily Mail and the Telegraph and Peston on ITV is a Tory boy through and through although I do like his TV show.

Channel 4 is the only real serious news channel on the go at the moment.

Hardy

The BBC is an arm of the state. The right wing media are propaganda sheets for shady 'think tanks' that represent the ultra-rich 1% who don't think they should contribute to society. Look at how easily they got the nation demonising professional footballers for not taking a pay cut. Hedge fund managers, media billionaires, tax-dodging business moguls - not a mention.

The people who are keeping their sorry carcasses alive and delivering their food now are those they wanted to ban from the country a few months ago.

Milltown Row2

Was astounded by the media also and their talks of when will the lockdown be relaxed!

If you were on the stage you'd love to tell them to f**king wind their necks in and get a real grasp of what's happening!!

Your moronic questions on this are beyond the pale!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea