Taylor

Quote from: armaghniac on April 09, 2020, 09:51:03 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 09, 2020, 08:48:10 AM
UK posting some seriously bad figures at the minute according to John Hopkins;

60,733 confirmed cases
7,079 Deaths
135 recovered
53,501 active

looking at that, it's over 10% fatality rate, in fact its worse if you consider that of the 53,501 active cases there's a good chance of a high percentage of those will also die.

I suppose the fatality rate is skewed due to them not doing an awful lot of testing and of that 60,733 confirmed cases most are probably in hospital needing assistance.
One of their medical specials did think that the actual number of people with CV-19 was well in excess of 500,000 but that was a rough estimate.
I'd say even that is well short of reality.

They have really made a pigs ear of this and it's going to cost lives.

Would be interesting to see a similar chart with % of population from those areas in critical care

imtommygunn

Quote from: HiMucker on April 09, 2020, 09:02:26 AM
I think any individual act regarding this seems harmless, but we have to look at everything through  the scope of the entire population. Rois's point is spot on. I think everyone just needs to make that personal sacrifice. 1000s of people having the same idea will cause problems.

That is exactly it. One person more getting it means that will spread no matter what with at least immediate family and then potentially health workers and then there is the extra load on the health system which will creak it further. Also if you're a key worker you could spread to colleagues if you get it before you know and all of that is how this thing could keep going and going never mind the wave 2.

Hound

Quote from: APM on April 09, 2020, 09:56:40 AM

Quote from: Hound on April 09, 2020, 09:45:29 AM
Why would anyone forget/ignore the social distancing rules just because they go to a different home? Even forgetting about your civic duty to your fellow person, you primarily practice social distancing to save yourself

Irish Times today:
"Easter could be Ireland's Cheltenham"

There seems to be a consensus that everyone is going to the same place to have a big party!

But the problem is that many people are not practicing social distancing.  Particularly young people and if their parents, are disregarding the guidance by taking them to a holiday home, whose to say that they will practice social distancing when they get there.  Hence the risk of spreading the infection from a densely populated area to a less populated area.

The logic of one person deciding to go to a holiday home and behave responsibly is undeniable.  The problem arises when everyone takes that approach, and we end up with people travelling across the entire country.  What's worse is the view taken by people with money or status, like the Scottish CMO, that this doesn't really apply to me!

It needs to apply to everyone.
What we're really good at is calling people out on social media who haven't been adhering to the rules. And there'll always be gobshites somewhere, so I think that's great. And I've absolutely no problem with naming and shaming.

But I believe when these go viral they get way overblown and it looks like it's far far more prevalent than it is. "Young people" getting a particularly torrid time!
On calls/whatsapps with friends and colleagues I've been asked a few times if my teenagers are out meeting with their friends. FFS, of course not, they're not frickin morons and neither are their friends!

five points

The holiday home thing is bunkum. Just an excuse for a splurge on Garda overtime and a distraction from our nursing homes turning into charnel houses on foot of bad decisions made by Tony Holohan and the government a month ago.

J70

Quote from: johnnycool on April 09, 2020, 08:38:55 AM
Quote from: Itchy on April 09, 2020, 08:19:52 AM
Quote from: Hound on April 09, 2020, 08:11:49 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on April 08, 2020, 09:53:07 PM
Quote from: Hound on April 08, 2020, 09:15:53 PM
Those holiday-homers taking a right bashing on social media. And Gardai creating massive traffic jams, which is a great deterrent!

Personally not sure how traveling in your car and go to your empty holiday home, and stick to the same regime of only leaving the house for your daily walk/exercise and for groceries would be increasing the risk of catching or spreading the virus.
Same as walking in beauty spots, etc. Grand if you are the only one doing it. Not so good for the locals if the population of thei village double switch a crowd coming from places where the virus is more prevalent.
So even if you keep all the social distancing rules you're increasing risk? Maybe so. But if I lived in the city with small/no garden and was told I couldnt visit my remote holiday home (with big gardens and lovely views) and where I'd be less likely to meet people on my daily walk, but it would be a huge benefit to my mental health and my family's mental health, I'd be righty pissed off!

Dont often agree with you but I certainly can understand this. If i lived in a city and had a home elsewhere in the countryside I would have been gone to it weeks ago. I feel really sorry for kids in apartments and housing estates with very small gardens or perhaps communal gardens, it must be torture. There is something also very ugly about some of the stuff you hear from people like some Green Councillor down in Clare (RTE Radio 1 during the week) telling people from cities "they were not wanted", I heard similar from someone else supposed to be representing Achill Island. When this is over you are welcome to come back so we can fleece you.

Maybe we cant open up a free for all into small Irish villages from big cities but I think it might be actually a benefit if say people could apply to move to their holiday homes and government could facilitate X% of houses in some of these area to be filled.

There's two sides to this;

At the start of the lock-down in and around St Patricks day week I was in a local shop and it was bunged with caravaners out from the city and there was SFA in it due to panic buying and the influx of people into the area..

Some small villages won't be able to cope with the implementation of social distancing in small shops.

Or demands on local, limited, hospital resources if all these extra people start to get sick.

It's not just the west of Ireland where this debate is raging. Catskills/Hudson Valley and the Hamptons out on Long Island have seen a lot of local concern and resentment about NYC people leaving the city for second homes and Air BnBs and potentially bringing the virus with them.

We were supposed to be heading up to the Catskills ourselves today, but we cancelled it a couple of weeks ago.

ardtole

I spent 4 years in New York and never made it up to the catskills, has always been a regret.

Rudi

Quote from: five points on April 09, 2020, 12:20:48 PM
The holiday home thing is bunkum. Just an excuse for a splurge on Garda overtime and a distraction from our nursing homes turning into charnel houses on foot of bad decisions made by Tony Holohan and the government a month ago.

The HSE ballsed up big time regarding nursing homes, very little about it in the Irish media, its all Chelentham this and Boris Johnston that. Our lads can do no wrong  ::) Celebrity doctor was one of the first to get the virus, now the eggit is given full license on the media to tell us mere gobshites how not to get it.

armaghniac

Quote from: Rudi on April 09, 2020, 01:06:20 PM

The HSE ballsed up big time regarding nursing homes, very little about it in the Irish media, its all Chelentham this and Boris Johnston that. Our lads can do no wrong  ::) Celebrity doctor was one of the first to get the virus, now the eggit is given full license on the media to tell us mere gobshites how not to get it.

It is easy to point out mistakes in the past and the nursing homes clearly were a failure, although one found in many countries.
However, it is what it is, it isn't as easy to say what should be done in the future.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

Quote from: ardtole on April 09, 2020, 01:00:08 PM
I spent 4 years in New York and never made it up to the catskills, has always been a regret.

Stunningly beautiful area. We go up five or six times a year, although not yet for the skiing.

Someday, if fortune favours us, we'll hopefully buy a wee place up there.

Rudi

Quote from: armaghniac on April 09, 2020, 01:14:36 PM
Quote from: Rudi on April 09, 2020, 01:06:20 PM

It is easy to point out mistakes in the past and the nursing homes clearly were a failure, although one found in many countries.
However, it is what it is, it isn't as easy to say what should be done in the future.

Certain things were only changed 4 days ago, medical contractors working with people who had the virus & then working some hours in nursing homes.

LeoMc

Anybody should just be able to go where they want?

five points

Quote from: LeoMc on April 09, 2020, 01:37:17 PM
No, the fuss about holiday homes is bunkum.

But I have no problem with people travelling the length of the country once they keep to themselves and don't come into contact with others. If that means they would be banned from local shops and from filling stations etc en route, I'm fine with that.

Milltown Row2

Seen dates of relaxation of lockdown in countries like Germany and Denmark end of April, mentioned even possible schools going back. Was on the Peston show, think he had a Danish ex minister on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: five points on April 09, 2020, 01:40:33 PM

But I have no problem with people travelling the length of the country once they keep to themselves and don't come into contact with others. If that means they would be banned from local shops and from filling stations etc en route, I'm fine with that.

You mean drive places, with kids, not stop in Applegreen or any service station etc.?

Then get to your destination, don't go shopping in any of the local shops or get any petrol diesel etc?

I think I'd rather stay at home.

You must be in one of these civil liberty groups who think they can do what they want, whenever they want and everybody else must stick to the guidelines.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: marty34 on April 09, 2020, 01:49:07 PM
Quote from: five points on April 09, 2020, 01:40:33 PM

You mean drive places, with kids, not stop in Applegreen or any service station etc.?

Then get to your destination, don't go shopping in any of the local shops or get any petrol diesel etc?

I think I'd rather stay at home.

You must be in one of these civil liberty groups who think they can do what they want, whenever they want and everybody else must stick to the guidelines.

Guards stopping at Bridgend both directions last night and today