China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: LeoMc on April 08, 2020, 09:53:07 PM
Quote from: Hound on April 08, 2020, 09:15:53 PM
Those holiday-homers taking a right bashing on social media. And Gardai creating massive traffic jams, which is a great deterrent!

Personally not sure how traveling in your car and go to your empty holiday home, and stick to the same regime of only leaving the house for your daily walk/exercise and for groceries would be increasing the risk of catching or spreading the virus.
Same as walking in beauty spots, etc. Grand if you are the only one doing it. Not so good for the locals if the population of thei village double switch a crowd coming from places where the virus is more prevalent.

My wife asked if we could go to the beach a few weeks ago and I said no. Says I "What if everyone else gets the same idea? The place will be packed."

Sure enough it was in the papers the next day that beaches were getting so busy that they had to be closed.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Can't stand the fkrs but fair play to them.
Now how about Denis O'Brien, Dermot Desmond, Michael O'Leary etc following suit.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

Those holiday-homers taking a right bashing on social media. And Gardai creating massive traffic jams, which is a great deterrent!

Personally not sure how traveling in your car and go to your empty holiday home, and stick to the same regime of only leaving the house for your daily walk/exercise and for groceries would be increasing the risk of catching or spreading the virus.
Same as walking in beauty spots, etc. Grand if you are the only one doing it. Not so good for the locals if the population of thei village double switch a crowd coming from places where the virus is more prevalent.
So even if you keep all the social distancing rules you're increasing risk? Maybe so. But if I lived in the city with small/no garden and was told I couldnt visit my remote holiday home (with big gardens and lovely views) and where I'd be less likely to meet people on my daily walk, but it would be a huge benefit to my mental health and my family's mental health, I'd be righty pissed off!

armaghniac

Someone can go and live in their holiday home if they wish. It it the coming and going that is the problem.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hound

Quote from: armaghniac on April 09, 2020, 08:13:59 AM
Someone can go and live in their holiday home if they wish. It it the coming and going that is the problem.
Don't think the virus passes through cars though. Unless the Gardai asks you to open your window and sticks his head to the edge, like was shown on RTE News yesterday evening !

Itchy

Quote from: Hound on April 09, 2020, 08:11:49 AM

So even if you keep all the social distancing rules you're increasing risk? Maybe so. But if I lived in the city with small/no garden and was told I couldnt visit my remote holiday home (with big gardens and lovely views) and where I'd be less likely to meet people on my daily walk, but it would be a huge benefit to my mental health and my family's mental health, I'd be righty pissed off!

Dont often agree with you but I certainly can understand this. If i lived in a city and had a home elsewhere in the countryside I would have been gone to it weeks ago. I feel really sorry for kids in apartments and housing estates with very small gardens or perhaps communal gardens, it must be torture. There is something also very ugly about some of the stuff you hear from people like some Green Councillor down in Clare (RTE Radio 1 during the week) telling people from cities "they were not wanted", I heard similar from someone else supposed to be representing Achill Island. When this is over you are welcome to come back so we can fleece you.

Maybe we cant open up a free for all into small Irish villages from big cities but I think it might be actually a benefit if say people could apply to move to their holiday homes and government could facilitate X% of houses in some of these area to be filled.

johnnycool

Quote from: Itchy on April 09, 2020, 08:19:52 AM
Quote from: Hound on April 09, 2020, 08:11:49 AM

Dont often agree with you but I certainly can understand this. If i lived in a city and had a home elsewhere in the countryside I would have been gone to it weeks ago. I feel really sorry for kids in apartments and housing estates with very small gardens or perhaps communal gardens, it must be torture. There is something also very ugly about some of the stuff you hear from people like some Green Councillor down in Clare (RTE Radio 1 during the week) telling people from cities "they were not wanted", I heard similar from someone else supposed to be representing Achill Island. When this is over you are welcome to come back so we can fleece you.

Maybe we cant open up a free for all into small Irish villages from big cities but I think it might be actually a benefit if say people could apply to move to their holiday homes and government could facilitate X% of houses in some of these area to be filled.

There's two sides to this;

At the start of the lock-down in and around St Patricks day week I was in a local shop and it was bunged with caravaners out from the city and there was SFA in it due to panic buying and the influx of people into the area..

Some small villages won't be able to cope with the implementation of social distancing in small shops.

johnnycool

UK posting some seriously bad figures at the minute according to John Hopkins;

60,733 confirmed cases
7,079 Deaths
135 recovered
53,501 active

looking at that, it's over 10% fatality rate, in fact its worse if you consider that of the 53,501 active cases there's a good chance of a high percentage of those will also die.

I suppose the fatality rate is skewed due to them not doing an awful lot of testing and of that 60,733 confirmed cases most are probably in hospital needing assistance.
One of their medical specials did think that the actual number of people with CV-19 was well in excess of 500,000 but that was a rough estimate.
I'd say even that is well short of reality.

They have really made a pigs ear of this and it's going to cost lives.

HiMucker

I think any individual act regarding this seems harmless, but we have to look at everything through  the scope of the entire population. Rois's point is spot on. I think everyone just needs to make that personal sacrifice. 1000s of people having the same idea will cause problems.

Angelo

Quote from: HiMucker on April 09, 2020, 09:02:26 AM
I think any individual act regarding this seems harmless, but we have to look at everything through  the scope of the entire population. Rois's point is spot on. I think everyone just needs to make that personal sacrifice. 1000s of people having the same idea will cause problems.

Yup, the measures in place are quite explicit

Some people think they are special though and can flout them, they may think it has no consequence but it does. They apply to everyone so people need to stop being so selfish, we are all in the same boat. Unless you are leaving your house or grounds for one of the specific exemptions then you have absolutely no business being outside. It applies to everyone, you are not so special that you should be the only one who decides to break ranks on it.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Hound

Why would anyone forget/ignore the social distancing rules just because they go to a different home? Even forgetting about your civic duty to your fellow person, you primarily practice social distancing to save yourself

Irish Times today:
"Easter could be Ireland's Cheltenham"

There seems to be a consensus that everyone is going to the same place to have a big party!

armaghniac

Quote from: johnnycool on April 09, 2020, 08:48:10 AM
UK posting some seriously bad figures at the minute according to John Hopkins;

60,733 confirmed cases
7,079 Deaths
135 recovered
53,501 active

looking at that, it's over 10% fatality rate, in fact its worse if you consider that of the 53,501 active cases there's a good chance of a high percentage of those will also die.

I suppose the fatality rate is skewed due to them not doing an awful lot of testing and of that 60,733 confirmed cases most are probably in hospital needing assistance.
One of their medical specials did think that the actual number of people with CV-19 was well in excess of 500,000 but that was a rough estimate.
I'd say even that is well short of reality.

They have really made a pigs ear of this and it's going to cost lives.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

APM

Quote from: Hound on April 09, 2020, 09:45:29 AM
Why would anyone forget/ignore the social distancing rules just because they go to a different home? Even forgetting about your civic duty to your fellow person, you primarily practice social distancing to save yourself

Irish Times today:
"Easter could be Ireland's Cheltenham"

There seems to be a consensus that everyone is going to the same place to have a big party!

But the problem is that many people are not practicing social distancing.  Particularly young people and if their parents, are disregarding the guidance by taking them to a holiday home, whose to say that they will practice social distancing when they get there.  Hence the risk of spreading the infection from a densely populated area to a less populated area.

The logic of one person deciding to go to a holiday home and behave responsibly is undeniable.  The problem arises when everyone takes that approach, and we end up with people travelling across the entire country.  What's worse is the view taken by people with money or status, like the Scottish CMO, that this doesn't really apply to me!

It needs to apply to everyone.