China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on April 06, 2020, 07:08:21 PM
So why is it ok to stigmatise Spanish people? That flu of 1918 also started in China. This notion that labelling something Chinese is automatically racist is absurd. Pure snowflakism.

Was it not TexasKansas?

edit cos my brain ain't very good at remembering shit
i usse an speelchekor

gallsman

Quote from: lenny on April 06, 2020, 07:05:41 PM
Quote from: trileacman on April 06, 2020, 06:26:22 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 06, 2020, 06:15:27 PM
Did it not originate in China? How is calling it the China Coronavirus racist?

I don't know. We must all be racist bastards for using the term "Spanish flu" a million times since the years beginning.

Spanish flu didn't originate in Spain. This Coronavirus more than likely originated in China but it could've started in any country so there's no need to stigmatise China because there's enough racists out there and they don't need encouragement.
So why is it ok to stigmatise Spanish people? That flu of 1918 also started in China. This notion that labelling something Chinese is automatically racist is absurd. Pure snowflakism.

The 1918 flu is most widely suspected to have originated in the US.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on April 06, 2020, 07:33:10 PM

I don't know. We must all be racist bastards for using the term "Spanish flu" a million times since the years beginning.

Spanish flu didn't originate in Spain. This Coronavirus more than likely originated in China but it could've started in any country so there's no need to stigmatise China because there's enough racists out there and they don't need encouragement.

Happened when everyone headed home after the war, so could have happened in any country but it's the Spanish flu!

f**k what an annoying thing to be concerned about!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GiveItToTheShooters

Many reports suggested that it started in China. Whether it did or not, the Chinese were a major factor in spreading it. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/1/140123-spanish-flu-1918-china-origins-pandemic-science-health/

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: gallsman on April 06, 2020, 07:33:10 PM

The first recorded case was in Kansas, USA. However it is possible it could have started in other parts of the world with China one of the possibilities but definitely not Spain. It is called the Spanish Flu because the Spanish media were the first to report it in their newspapers.
A neutral county after the First World War it wasn't bound by the Western powers of not reporting any bad news stories on its front pages in the aftermath of the war.

GetOverTheBar

Has this been the most aggressive thread in GAA Board history?

gallsman

Thanks for the history lesson JC. I don't need, and didn't ask, for it, but cheers nonetheless.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: gallsman on April 06, 2020, 07:48:11 PM
Thanks for the history lesson JC. I don't need, and didn't ask, for it, but cheers nonetheless.

Just incase any else wanted enlightened! A wee fun fact for the day.

Milltown Row2

Trump has stopped calling it the Chinese virus!

I see the wet markets were up and running again.

Some say that in Asia they trust the wet markets rather than the supermarket!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

pbat

Boris moved to ICU. Not looking great for him.

Saffrongael

Quote from: pbat on April 06, 2020, 08:15:59 PM

Itchy will be delighted
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Eamonnca1

Why are free staters so thin-skinned about being called free staters?

tonto1888

Quote from: pbat on April 06, 2020, 08:15:59 PM

Where are you hearing this

pbat

Eamonnca1