China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambrose

If you do nothing else today please listen to this. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0877mb2
You can't live off history and tradition forever

larryin89

It's very hard to understand the logic behind the reluctance to lockdown, every single doctor I've listened to or read said their country wont cope unless the curve is flattened , you can't flatten this curve without lockdown , social distancing is been adhered to by most but not near enough to  be effective in the way they want . Several groups of youths I have witnessed just yesterday gathering . On Thursday morning I had a confrontation with a lad on site , washing his hands and face in the canteen sink with all cups feeling the full brunt of his face washing . 

My point is it's not going to work unless you apply the lockdown , you can force people to stay in their home through the law , enforce it now with immediate effect or we are going to see an awful situation develop here .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Ty4Sam on March 21, 2020, 09:56:17 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on March 21, 2020, 09:43:57 AM
Lads wondering if I could get your thoughts. Me and my mate set up a consultancy and training firm last year. We got our first contract and employ a speech and language therapist and occupational therapist 3 days per week each alongside the work we do. We do not employ them through PAYE, they're technically self employed themselves. The service we work in is at high risk of being temporarily shut down due to the vulnerability of the clients to Covid19 meaning our contract will likely be suspended too for the duration.

Am I right in thinking that none of us will be entitled to the 80% scheme announced by the government? I think my reading is that we may only be entitled to the universal credit equivalent. Another headache is that we aren't even a year through our contract so we have not have any tax returns as our business started after April 2019.

Unfortunately it would seem so. £94 a week! There is pressure building though so hopefully they address it. There are 5 million self employed in UK, surely they have to come up with something for them.

Going to have too, the wife and I are both self employed and whilst my business should be ok for the next 3 months it may get a bit tricky from July onwards; The wife's does recruitment and business has clearly fallen off a cliff so at its stands its £94 a week. Luckily for us we have savings and can get through this but I'm sure the majority of the 5 million self employed don't and are in financial trouble. We've got a situation where someone could have started work in February after not worked for 5 years or even their relatively new into the country and their been looked after whereas a 60 year old who's self employed and paid into the system for 40 years and never claimed anything in their life has been cast aside, doesn't seem fair does it?

My wife is in a funny situation, paid NI for the last 15 years but started off on in her own in November and accountant told her non need to pay NI until April 2020 as she'd already contributed more than enough from April to October. I've a horrible feeling she'll be left out again next week when I expect more announcements are made.

Itchy

Quote from: Ambrose on March 21, 2020, 11:26:52 AM
If you do nothing else today please listen to this. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0877mb2

Its grim. What a pity people like Nolan didnt use their platform earlier like proper journalist to question the idiotic response of Boris Johnson. The man said it will be a miracle if its kept to 20k deaths, he is right about that.

The other thing the struck me was this doctor telling people to prioritise health over their job. What good is your job if you are dead. One of my observations when I watch the bbc news and to an extent listen to the 6 co folk on here, there is almost as much talk about jobs and economy than there is about death. In my own experience in the south people are only talking about health and I'm talking about people who's business has collapsed. I'm not sure why that's the case, maybe the government in south is just doing a better job of communicating how dire this is going to be

Rossfan

Quote from: Itchy on March 21, 2020, 12:33:47 PM

Its grim. What a pity people like Nolan didnt use their platform earlier like proper journalist to question the idiotic response of Boris Johnson. The man said it will be a miracle if its kept to 20k deaths, he is right about that.

The other thing the struck me was this doctor telling people to prioritise health over their job. What good is your job if you are dead. One of my observations when I watch the bbc news and to an extent listen to the 6 co folk on here, there is almost as much talk about jobs and economy than there is about death. In my own experience in the south people are only talking about health and I'm talking about people who's business has collapsed. I'm not sure why that's the case, maybe the government in south is just doing a better job of communicating how dire this is going to be
Maybe we're still a Society and haven't fully become an "Economy" yet.
Maybe the Election outcome showed we still want it to stay that way?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Someone was on earlier posting about political bashing

In the North for years we had to contend with themus and us'ss! The amount of southern posters bashing on about the brits on here since Brexit and now the virus would sicken your hole!

If they'd put that amount of effort into this place during the troubles we'd be united years ago :D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Feeling better now you've got that rant off your chest?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Itchy on March 21, 2020, 12:33:47 PM

If you have lost your job then you are safer from the virus as you do not have to go to work and mingle with people, so your concerns about  the virus my be eased but a new concern about economics arises.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ardtole

A wake up call. Hopefully the message gets through.

Tony Baloney

Driving through Armagh today and although cafes etc. closed I can't see much adjustment in people's attitudes. Supermarket car parks rammed, people dandering about drinking coffee (takeaway still allowed), roads still relatively busy.

bannside

Great listen. Thanks Ambrose.

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 21, 2020, 01:37:13 PM
Someone was on earlier posting about political bashing

In the North for years we had to contend with themus and us'ss! The amount of southern posters bashing on about the brits on here since Brexit and now the virus would sicken your hole!

If they'd put that amount of effort into this place during the troubles we'd be united years ago :D

Because the brits response to this was pathetic, herd immunity - remember that. Our experts better than yours etc. If you dont accept that then you really must have your head up your arse. People will die that should not have died due to the Brits response.

Cunny Funt

The figures remain shocking in Italy with 6,557 new cases and 793 deaths today.

HiMucker

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 20, 2020, 04:15:05 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 19, 2020, 09:39:16 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on March 19, 2020, 07:17:16 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 19, 2020, 07:12:11 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 18, 2020, 07:37:07 PM
The UK have 104 deaths as of today.  If we / they are tracking at the same rate as Italy the number tomorrow should be approx 145.
Will be interesting to see.
144!

That was very accurate. What's your thoughts on the upcoming days

It'll be approx 190 - 195
184 at the minute. Likely to be close to 195 by end of day.
That UK figure doesn't seem to stacking up with just 3 deaths today. Any reason for that, as it's gone against the trend of every other country at the same point.