China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

We do need a certain amount of the population to actually get the virus in order to build immunity. It's about controlling the numbers, elongating the process.

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 13, 2020, 07:35:01 AM
Quote from: seafoid on March 13, 2020, 05:16:34 AM
Italy has

15113 cases in total
1153 people in Intensive care with the virus
1016 dead

Yesterday almost 200 people with the virus died in Italy.

The goal in Ireland is to keep the number of cases down. Once large numbers of people need intensive care the mortality rate
is appalling.

Surely looking at Italy as a comparison is wrong? Different set of dynamics, culture, numbers, and more importantly they had the worst possible start. Each country will react differently. Hopefully we don't hit Italys rates of cases and deaths
It's microbes versus humans.

Our wee UK has a population of c 60m
5% get infected. 5% of those need intensive care. 150,000
The UK has 4,000 ICU beds.
#seniorhurling

Solo_run

Quote from: Itchy on March 13, 2020, 08:21:19 AM
Italy has

15113 cases in total
1016 dead

The goal in Ireland is to keep the number of cases down. Once large numbers of people need intensive care the mortality rate
is appalling.

Surely looking at Italy as a comparison is wrong? Different set of dynamics, culture, numbers, and more importantly they had the worst possible start. Each country will react differently. Hopefully we don't hit Italys rates of cases and deaths

No it is right to look at it. It is an example of what will happen if we don't do a lock down early in the process - a lot of you were arguing against doing this but at last the sensible calls are being made and this is coming from all the experts looking at countries like China and Italy. Once the health service is overwhelmed people who would have otherwise been saved will instead die due to lack of treatment (respirators).

I see where you are going with this and I agree.  However, not to just scare people but what isn't being mentioned is that Italy has the highest elderly population in Europe. Almost 1/4 of the population is 65 or over. Open to correction on the age bracket.

Itchy

Quote from: Solo_run on March 13, 2020, 09:10:36 AM
Italy has

15113 cases in total
1016 dead

is appalling.

No it is right to look at it. It is an example of what will happen if we don't do a lock down early in the process - a lot of you were arguing against doing this but at last the sensible calls are being made and this is coming from all the experts looking at countries like China and Italy. Once the health service is overwhelmed people who would have otherwise been saved will instead die due to lack of treatment (respirators).

I see where you are going with this and I agree.  However, not to just scare people but what isn't being mentioned is that Italy has the highest elderly population in Europe. Almost 1/4 of the population is 65 or over. Open to correction on the age bracket.

I am sure that is a factor but what I am reading is that in italian hospitals, which on brink of collapse, they are deciding between whether to treat people who are 40 yrs old vrs someone 30 yrs old. The old people are dying thing is lulling people into a dangerous sense of security that they will be ok. They wont if this thing goes out of control.

screenexile

Italian figures aren't right though clearly they have many more confirmed cases than 15,000 that's only the amount who have tested positive.

It seems to have slipped under the radar that the UK are only testing people who are hospitalised, if you show symptoms you have to self isolate... so the number in reality is much much higher than the number we are getting.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Solo_run on March 13, 2020, 09:10:36 AM
Italy has

15113 cases in total
1016 dead

is appalling.

That's true, but what people aren't factoring in is that the NI (& the south) have one of the worst respiratory death rates in Europe. That could be a huge factor when looking at the impact of Covid19. But the reality is we don't know, but should be taking Italy as a very clear warning of what can happen.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

macdanger2

Quote from: trailer on March 13, 2020, 08:42:25 AM
We do need a certain amount of the population to actually get the virus in order to build immunity. It's about controlling the numbers, elongating the process.

I don't think it's been confirmed that getting it actually gives you immunity

square_ball

Quote from: screenexile on March 13, 2020, 09:14:35 AM
Italian figures aren't right though clearly they have many more confirmed cases than 15,000 that's only the amount who have tested positive.

It seems to have slipped under the radar that the UK are only testing people who are hospitalised, if you show symptoms you have to self isolate... so the number in reality is much much higher than the number we are getting.

Yes the daily reported figure is in no way accurate. They've estimated that the people who have it at the moment in the UK may actually be between 5,000 and 10,000.

seafoid

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2020/03/13/sport-coronavirus-live-premier-league-suspended-efl-rugby-latest/

Sport coronavirus live: Premier League to be suspended this morning with EFL likely to follow - latest updates

seafoid

Quote from: screenexile on March 13, 2020, 09:14:35 AM

What really counts is the strength of the health system

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/prepared-britain-coronavirus-pandemic-sophisticated-analysis/

Covering 195 countries, the GHS Index assesses countries' preparedness in six areas: prevention, detection, rapid response, strength of the health system, compliance with international norms, and the overall risk environment. It is in the latter three that the UK faces real challenges.Like many other high-income countries, the UK also has a large older population – 18.4 per cent of people in the UK are over 65, more than double the global average. In any public health emergency, older adults are especially vulnerable, but only Scotland and Wales have publicly available plans that address this issue.
When an outbreak does occur, the strength of a country's healthcare system and health workforce determine its ability to adequately treat the sick and protect health workers. And on this measure, the UK woefully underperforms thanks to chronic under-investment in the NHS.

trailer

Quote from: macdanger2 on March 13, 2020, 09:22:43 AM
Quote from: trailer on March 13, 2020, 08:42:25 AM

I don't think it's been confirmed that getting it actually gives you immunity

Yes it's not confirmed but as with other Viruses the thinking is that it is unlikely that you'll be reinfected as you will have built up antibodies to fight the infection.

Tony Baloney

I'm leaving it to the globally recognised and award-winning scientists and medical professionals to decide on the best course of action. Apologies to all social media and barstool experts.

Milltown Row2

No one is really underestimating it, regardless of what AFM and others may think, but the reality is we can only deal with the numbers we have and how responsible we can be, the figures for each country will be different for a lot of reasons, some i outlined earlier, the doubling effect of known cases is true, and in Italy there may be as many with it but self isolating and they are not on the figures also.

It's too hard to define, and its a day by day or even an hour by hour thing. The panic buyers are loading up and we haven't hit our peak yet!! whats going to happen when suppliers can't get the stock  in due to their own health and safety procedures? the panic buyers will have feck all left and left nothing for everyone else!!

14 weeks is a long time away for it to be peaking don't you think? And whats the difference between the scientists in Denmark and the UK ?

All my appointments are dropping off and that's fine, Id rather they didn't come in and see me and possibly affect me or my co workers, as a business we'll probably close for a couple of weeks soon enough, the building above me is working less half capacity now, from nearly 600 employees to 240 will be in work from Monday.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 13, 2020, 10:01:44 AM
I'm leaving it to the globally recognised and award-winning scientists and medical professionals to decide on the best course of action. Apologies to all social media and barstool experts.

Why should some guy with 7 years of medical school and 3 years in the USA doing a PhD have more respect for his opinion than me, who spent 10 minutes on Facebook?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 13, 2020, 10:05:21 AM
No one is really underestimating it, regardless of what AFM and others may think, but the reality is we can only deal with the numbers we have and how responsible we can be, the figures for each country will be different for a lot of reasons, some i outlined earlier, the doubling effect of known cases is true, and in Italy there may be as many with it but self isolating and they are not on the figures also.

It's too hard to define, and its a day by day or even an hour by hour thing. The panic buyers are loading up and we haven't hit our peak yet!! whats going to happen when suppliers can't get the stock  in due to their own health and safety procedures? the panic buyers will have feck all left and left nothing for everyone else!!

14 weeks is a long time away for it to be peaking don't you think? And whats the difference between the scientists in Denmark and the UK ?

All my appointments are dropping off and that's fine, Id rather they didn't come in and see me and possibly affect me or my co workers, as a business we'll probably close for a couple of weeks soon enough, the building above me is working less half capacity now, from nearly 600 employees to 240 will be in work from Monday.
Tipperary need more than 14 weeks to.peak..