Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Quote from: Syferus on May 14, 2018, 06:38:15 PM
Quote from: galwayman on May 14, 2018, 06:23:42 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on May 14, 2018, 05:47:52 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 14, 2018, 05:45:20 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on May 14, 2018, 05:18:54 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 14, 2018, 03:33:40 PM

A lot of Mayo apologists for Diarmuid O'Connor are out in force today, but there is a fair body of evidence at this stage to indicate that DOC is more than fond of the dirt. He should have got a straight red in the league match against Galway for a ridiculous high challenge on Kerin and lets call out what the – which one replay angle clearly shows – calculated, premeditated elbow yesterday was: a dirty blow that there can be no excuse for.
The substantial amount of Mayo fans that applauded him off the pitch while castigating Conroy as a cheat would want to seriously cop themselves on. Not to mention the bizarre cheering when the change of Cafferkey was announced pre match, maybe they were excited about Barrett starting but how would Cafferkey and his family feel about that? I'm not trying to antagonise Mayo fans here, I was sat in the terrace with all my own Mayo relations and you couldn't fault their behaviour or that of the majority of Mayo fans but while there's a lot of backslapping given to Mayo fans by themselves and others for what they bring to the game, for a certain portion of them yesterday it was not a good look at all.

I agree with all of this. I was the good samartian yesterday and brought my oul fella and uncle along who wouldn't get to many games anymore at their age. Both of them referenced the behavior and edge to the Mayo fans which 'never used to be the way'. The torrents of abuse at the referee when at best they hadn't seen a replay, and at worst it was a clear elbow, was absolutely laughable. Less widespread but still there was abuse of Conroy who was quite clearly out cold or close to it, whether the elbow was accidental or not. That was really awful. Booing of free takers also.

Mayo fans have clearly been amazing and follow the team everywhere with such passion, and have this unreal pride with stuff like 'Mayo day' or throwing a Mayo jersey at every celeb they meet or how the Jersey is the only thing they'll wear abroad. Stuff that has the rest of the country cringing with embarrassment but you put up with it because it's Mayo and it's good natured and doesn't harm anyone. However there seems to be a blind spot that come with this specific side, from blind defense of player indescretions to referee abuse to complaining about the media. It's been very apparent recently, since 2012 or so and plenty of county's supporters have commented on it, the biggest probably being Donegal fans upset with Mayo fans behavior during the 2013 hammering. Have heard it from Kerry fans also, while the dubs and Ros fans can probably be taken with a pinch of salt. Still, it's been a fair fall from grace from being everyone's second team and the lovable gracious neighbor to being the set of fans people dislike most.

Leitrim supporters are far bigger w**kers than Mayo supporters in general.

I can't comment on Galway football supporters because they're such an endangered species.

Your posts dont normally make me laugh Syf, but that is a good 1.
Might be as well to ignore the smart arse who attempts to take over every thread on this board with his horse shit snidy remarks.

Someone's a bit edgy.
Not really. Just would like to be able to read posts about a game I'm interested in without reading stupid childish crap for once is all.

Syferus

Quote from: galwayman on May 14, 2018, 06:42:40 PM

A lot of Mayo apologists for Diarmuid O'Connor are out in force today, but there is a fair body of evidence at this stage to indicate that DOC is more than fond of the dirt. He should have got a straight red in the league match against Galway for a ridiculous high challenge on Kerin and lets call out what the – which one replay angle clearly shows – calculated, premeditated elbow yesterday was: a dirty blow that there can be no excuse for.
The substantial amount of Mayo fans that applauded him off the pitch while castigating Conroy as a cheat would want to seriously cop themselves on. Not to mention the bizarre cheering when the change of Cafferkey was announced pre match, maybe they were excited about Barrett starting but how would Cafferkey and his family feel about that? I'm not trying to antagonise Mayo fans here, I was sat in the terrace with all my own Mayo relations and you couldn't fault their behaviour or that of the majority of Mayo fans but while there's a lot of backslapping given to Mayo fans by themselves and others for what they bring to the game, for a certain portion of them yesterday it was not a good look at all.

I agree with all of this. I was the good samartian yesterday and brought my oul fella and uncle along who wouldn't get to many games anymore at their age. Both of them referenced the behavior and edge to the Mayo fans which 'never used to be the way'. The torrents of abuse at the referee when at best they hadn't seen a replay, and at worst it was a clear elbow, was absolutely laughable. Less widespread but still there was abuse of Conroy who was quite clearly out cold or close to it, whether the elbow was accidental or not. That was really awful. Booing of free takers also.

Mayo fans have clearly been amazing and follow the team everywhere with such passion, and have this unreal pride with stuff like 'Mayo day' or throwing a Mayo jersey at every celeb they meet or how the Jersey is the only thing they'll wear abroad. Stuff that has the rest of the country cringing with embarrassment but you put up with it because it's Mayo and it's good natured and doesn't harm anyone. However there seems to be a blind spot that come with this specific side, from blind defense of player indescretions to referee abuse to complaining about the media. It's been very apparent recently, since 2012 or so and plenty of county's supporters have commented on it, the biggest probably being Donegal fans upset with Mayo fans behavior during the 2013 hammering. Have heard it from Kerry fans also, while the dubs and Ros fans can probably be taken with a pinch of salt. Still, it's been a fair fall from grace from being everyone's second team and the lovable gracious neighbor to being the set of fans people dislike most.

I can't comment on Galway football supporters because they're such an endangered species.

Might be as well to ignore the smart arse who attempts to take over every thread on this board with his horse shit snidy remarks.

Someone's a bit edgy.
Not really. Just would like to be able to read posts about a game I'm interested in without reading stupid childish crap for once is all.

There was nothing 'childish' in what I said. You have a personal dislike that you want to wrap up in the clothes of reason, not the other way around. Good job derailing the thread, by the way.

galwayman

Quote from: Syferus on May 14, 2018, 06:44:42 PM

Someone's a bit edgy.

There was nothing 'childish' in what I said. You have a personal dislike that you want to wrap up in the clothes of reason, not the other way around. Good job derailing the thread, by the way.
Derailing the thread? You mean like you do in every single thread you contribute to?
I've made a total of 2 posts in this thread unrelated to the game and I won't be making any more...

To the Mayo lads on here - is Shane Nally still on the panel?
Or was it that he just didn't make the subs for this particular game?

SLIGONIAN

Leitrim fans are a only w@#kers to Roscommon fans for obvious reasons

Mayo fans are usually fine as long as you let them win which we do most of the time

Thought both teams were average enough yesterday but id expect both to improve as the year goes on, hopefully we can give Galway a good run for their money. Roscommon favourites for Connacht now imo.

I might hate that Tom Parsons plays for Mayo and not Sligo his home county (made this clear in the past) but Id like to wish him a speedy recovery from that shocking injury yday. Felt terrible seeing it.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Mac2

Quote from: galwayman on May 14, 2018, 06:51:43 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 14, 2018, 06:44:42 PM

Someone's a bit edgy.

Derailing the thread? You mean like you do in every single thread you contribute to?
I've made a total of 2 posts in this thread unrelated to the game and I won't be making any more...

He wasn't on the 26, he lacks pace for this level but has a good boot on him which is more than can be said for some of lads that were brought on.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: galwayman on May 14, 2018, 06:51:43 PM

Didn't make the subs played for his club at the weekend instead.

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 14, 2018, 06:53:59 PM
Roscommon favourites for Connacht now imo.

You won't have any bookie having them favourites so i would encourage you to place some cash on them if you really think that. 

Syferus

Mayo fans are usually fine as long as you let them win which we do most of the time

Thought both teams were average enough yesterday but id expect both to improve as the year goes on, hopefully we can give Galway a good run for their money. Roscommon favourites for Connacht now imo.

I might hate that Tom Parsons plays for Mayo and not Sligo his home county (made this clear in the past) but Id like to wish him a speedy recovery from that shocking injury yday. Felt terrible seeing it.

I'd only call those you see at league matches and underage county matches supporters, Sligoian. Every county attracts knackers if they're doing well in the summer. The sort who wouldn't even know half the bench's first names..

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Syferus on May 14, 2018, 07:05:14 PM

I'd only call those you see at league matches and underage county matches supporters, Sligoian. Every county attracts knackers if they're doing well in the summer. The sort who wouldn't even know half the bench's first names..
True but in Leitrims case they lose to ye alot more than the other way round so there probably sick of ye at this stage, and there is the local rivalry which is added fuel,

Dont Roscommon have a home Connacht final if they face Galway?, they were much better than Galway last year so id be pretty confident if i was them, Roscommon have improved since then too.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Syferus

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 14, 2018, 08:01:38 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 14, 2018, 07:05:14 PM

True but in Leitrims case they lose to ye alot more than the other way round so there probably sick of ye at this stage, and there is the local rivalry which is added fuel,

Dont Roscommon have a home Connacht final if they face Galway?, they were much better than Galway last year so id be pretty confident if i was them, Roscommon have improved since then too.

Yes, but King John the First reckons we need new turnstiles before we can host a Connacht final. The reality of the poorly attended McHale replay in 2016 will likely mean some remedial work will be done and he'll quietly forget about his concerns in favour of the almighty Euro. Galway will have a tougher time getting to the final than we will, though.

Manning18

What'll the Hyde hold after the health and safety officers have a look? 21k I think in crap weather last year. I'd say 25k could be reasonably expected on a normal day with a bit more added interest this year

Syferus

Quote from: Manning18 on May 14, 2018, 09:28:32 PM
What'll the Hyde hold after the health and safety officers have a look? 21k I think in crap weather last year. I'd say 25k could be reasonably expected on a normal day with a bit more added interest this year

There was 18,287 last year. There was some 15,000 at the replay in 2016, at the venue it would be held in if for some reason the Hyde couldn't be used.

There is zero question about the Hyde being able to host the capacity required for a Connacht final between Roscommon and Galway.

Weird to mention H&S officers when everyone knows that's exactly why McHale, Salthill and the Hyde's capacity reduced in recent years.

Manning18

Quote from: Syferus on May 14, 2018, 10:05:20 PM

There was 18,287 last year. There was some 15,000 at the replay in 2016, at the venue it would be held in if for some reason the Hyde couldn't be used.

There is zero question about the Hyde being able to host the capacity required for a Connacht final between Roscommon and Galway.

Weird to mention H&S officers when everyone knows that's exactly why McHale, Salthill and the Hyde's capacity reduced in recent years.

I only mentioned H&S because of the lengthy discussion about McHale's capacity prior to Sunday. I think everyone was surprised at the low figure of 28k being mentioned beforehand. Perhaps the Hyde has an up to date capacity figure but surely there'll be a look taken prior to the first big game there in yonks.

Syferus

Quote from: Manning18 on May 14, 2018, 10:24:17 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 14, 2018, 10:05:20 PM

I only mentioned H&S because of the lengthy discussion about McHale's capacity prior to Sunday. I think everyone was surprised at the low figure of 28k being mentioned beforehand. Perhaps the Hyde has an up to date capacity figure but surely there'll be a look taken prior to the first big game there in yonks.

We hosted CFs 2011, 2012 and 2015, hardly 'yonks ago'? There was probably close to as many at the Ros-Mayo league match two years ago at the Hyde as there would be for a Ros-Galway CF.

Laoiseabu

macdanger2

Just saw DOC's sending off on TV, disgraceful stuff tbf. That said, he probably expected it to be more of an "elbow-off" to the upper body than a shot to the jaw (I don't think he had time to line him up even if he had wanted to).

Reckless play though and a deserved sending off. Will be lucky to get off with a one match ban