Learning the guitar

Started by MR E, December 29, 2009, 12:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: Puckoon on January 18, 2018, 07:59:27 PM
Perhaps it's just hindsight on my part. Wish I had have paid attention to scales, arpeggios, runs and licks and picking strokes when I was younger. It's still a concentration exercise for me on some of the scales and runs. I have to think about it.

Definitely Chords and songs will embed the love for the instrument at the start.

100%. It's tough learning scales and the like with an older brain!

The Gs Man

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2018, 03:41:54 PM
Lads, I'm just good enough to be called bad, but I enjoy myself. I love strumming along on an acoustic in the study, and singing stuff from Christy Moore, Fureys etc. Easy on the voice, and easy enough (relatively) in the  Chord department.

The one thing that is killing me is the Barre chords. B, Bm etc etc. My fingers just can't form the chords because either the one acting as a 'capo' won't stay down, or the other ones forming the chord can't reach. Is there an easier way to play those chords, or do i just have to keep at it until my auld fingers loosen up enough to do it?

PS, seanie, I agree with All JOG says there. Also I like this url for easy enough songs, and loads of them....

http://www.irish-folk-songs.com/lyrics-and-chords.html

Practice them to death!  And maybe use a lighter gauge string.

Like J70 said, I would have avoided songs with B or whatever in it, to the point where I was transposing everything and using a capo.  A bit fiddly, especially on stage.

However, I just grabbed the electric and practised them flat out on that, which is easier.  I was then able to revert back to the acoustic.

So, basically it's practise.  Don't give up on it!
Keep 'er lit

BarryBreensBandage

If you can play F and D sweetly, you can play the guitar.

All those with B problems, play B7, it will get you by.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

BarryBreensBandage

For those that find it hard to fret (barre), use your thumb to cover the top two strings and fret your F.

BarryBreensBandage

Twelve Bar Blues

Great sound out of this and easy to play:

Strum pattern is 4/4 - there are 4 beats in one bar -  which means 4 down strokes for each bar.

So start with E7
Four bars - that's 16 down strokes

Next A7
Two bars - 8 down strokes

Back to E7
Two Bars - 8 down strokes

Then B7
One Bar - 4 down strokes

Back to A7
One Bar - 4 Down Strokes

Back to E7
Two Bars - 8 down strokes

Sure give it a go

BarryBreensBandage

The post above is used for the likes of Booker T's 'Green Onions' and John Lee Hookers 'Boom Boom'.