Intercounty apathy a worrying trend

Started by Lar Naparka, January 04, 2017, 03:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

The big game changer is that Dublin have got their act together over the last 10-15 years and the vast majority cannot now compete with a well resourced, lean Dublin machine. Their underachievement in the 80's, 90's and 00's was staggering when you look back. Their population wasn't quite as high but it was still huge compared to anyone else and they only landed 2 titles from 1978 to 2010.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on January 09, 2017, 05:11:19 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 09, 2017, 04:43:03 PM
. Roscommon are one of the favourites for the All Ireland every year.
In Syfland maybe :(
2 Connacht titles in 25 years would suggest otherwise. .....

That may have been tongue in cheek.

seafoid

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 09, 2017, 04:50:16 PM
Are Offaly in the 80s the last county with a population of less than 80,000 to reach All Ireland senior final?
The Derry GF population may be less than 80K
Maybe Armagh as well
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 10, 2017, 09:01:01 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 09, 2017, 05:11:19 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 09, 2017, 04:43:03 PM
. Roscommon are one of the favourites for the All Ireland every year.
In Syfland maybe :(
2 Connacht titles in 25 years would suggest otherwise. .....

That may have been tongue in cheek.
I know it was but just putting us in perspective.
The 17 Counties  I listed have only 10 or 11 Provincial titles between them in the last 25 years.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Real Talk

Folks currently success at County level is not just about ability its also about  ...... MONEY

Money to pay for a back room staff of in some cases over 40 people getting some form of payment from some source to maintain the Professional Prep required to compete at the 'top table'.  If the Dublin's, Kerry's, Mayo's and Tyrone's of this world are training 4/5 times a week ... can you imagine how much player traveling expenses are involved over a 40 week period/year

Good quality players are aware what's happening in this regard throughout the country.  If they believe that 'their' county can't commit/don't want to commit/don't have the sponsorship to pay for that massive expenditure then it is unlikely that they will give up their time to a lost cause in an less than level playing field (no pun intended) .....

Amateur association ..... ?????????????

rosnarun

allow only top 8 compete for same and a strict 1  in 1 out relegation  system based on winning level 2 competition see if players take it more seriously then?
has to be a stick with every Carrot
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Jinxy

Relegation should be two up, two down otherwise you could have a lot of dead rubber games.
It's as much about teams trying to avoid relegation as it is about getting promotion.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

sligoman2

Great to see that Ross Donovan has reversed the trend and has come out of inter-county retirement.  One of the toughest defenders in the country and its great to see him back.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Substandard

Interesting reading.  Apart from the difficulty of selling any radical changes that would get past congress, I'd imagine there'd have to be heavy promotion of the competition for the weaker counties:  would games be televised, or would there be a highlights/ discussion program on television?  Serious investment would need to be made, at least directly from Croke Park.  Would there be a risk (unlikely, but still possible) that SKY would have the 'Senior' rights, while the rest might get token coverage?  I've no real agenda here one way or another, just a few thoughts based on what I've read so far.  Also, what happens to London/ New York?

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Real Talk on January 10, 2017, 10:21:00 AM
Folks currently success at County level is not just about ability its also about  ...... MONEY

Money to pay for a back room staff of in some cases over 40 people getting some form of payment from some source to maintain the Professional Prep required to compete at the 'top table'.  If the Dublin's, Kerry's, Mayo's and Tyrone's of this world are training 4/5 times a week ... can you imagine how much player traveling expenses are involved over a 40 week period/year

Good quality players are aware what's happening in this regard throughout the country.  If they believe that 'their' county can't commit/don't want to commit/don't have the sponsorship to pay for that massive expenditure then it is unlikely that they will give up their time to a lost cause in an less than level playing field (no pun intended) .....

Amateur association ..... ?????????????

That's 100% right!
Apathy has feck all to do with Mickey Mouse competitions. Those who remember the Centenary Cup and more recently, the Tommy Murphy will understand this. It takes money to get anywhere nowadays and counties that can't afford the backup of Dublin and the chasing pack; Mayo, Tyrone, Kerry and maybe one or two others, know damn well that all the gutbusting in the world won't get any of them anywhere.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Hound

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 09, 2017, 05:17:03 PM
The big game changer is that Dublin have got their act together over the last 10-15 years and the vast majority cannot now compete with a well resourced, lean Dublin machine. Their underachievement in the 80's, 90's and 00's was staggering when you look back. Their population wasn't quite as high but it was still huge compared to anyone else and they only landed 2 titles from 1978 to 2010.
We could still only play 15 in those years and we had no Diarmuid Connolly or Stephen Cluxton.
If population was the most important factor our hurlers would be regular All Ireland champions also. But they don't have a Cluxton, Connolly, Brogan in their midst to propel them up the rankings. We've got some awesome players at the minute, like Kerry used to have when they were winning countless titles in the 70s and 80s and like they're likely to have in a few years time (or less) when they inevitably regain top spot.

Rossfan

Quote from: Substandard on January 10, 2017, 12:57:39 PM
Interesting reading.  Apart from the difficulty of selling any radical changes that would get past congress, I'd imagine there'd have to be heavy promotion of the competition for the weaker counties:  would games be televised, or would there be a highlights/ discussion program on television?  Serious investment would need to be made, at least directly from Croke Park.  Would there be a risk (unlikely, but still possible) that SKY would have the 'Senior' rights, while the rest might get token coverage?  I've no real agenda here one way or another, just a few thoughts based on what I've read so far.  Also, what happens to London/ New York?

Sponsorship and TV packages would have to include all 3 (or whatever) Championships. You want to show 1 Senior game - you must cover an Inter and a Junior too.
To encouraget Co Boards etc - could a percentage of the gates be pooled and divided equally between all participants.
If you had 140,000 at Senior Semis, 40k at Inter and 25k at Junior Semis - put €5 a head into the pool and divide equally between the 12 Co Boards.???
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: sligoman2 on January 10, 2017, 12:36:55 PM
Great to see that Ross Donovan has reversed the trend and has come out of inter-county retirement.  One of the toughest defenders in the country and its great to see him back.
Did he officially retire or take a year out? Sligos neighbors Donegal are going through a major transitional phase with I think 8 of last years panel either retired or taking time out.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 10, 2017, 06:57:07 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on January 10, 2017, 12:36:55 PM
Did he officially retire or take a year out? Sligos neighbors Donegal are going through a major transitional phase with I think 8 of last years panel either retired or taking time out.
Do Sligo and Donegal have a border? Not important anyway.