New Car Advice

Started by Dinny Breen, March 06, 2018, 11:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikhail Prokhorov

do not buy a new car and avoid finance at all costs, complete rip off

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 07, 2018, 01:42:40 PM
I would say the complete opposite. Town driving is perfect for automatics. Cruising on a motorway is ideal for a manual.
Accelerating is where a manual is more enjoyable IMO. Cruising and decelerating I'd prefer auto. And of course the stop/start traffic and town stuff.

rosnarun

Quote from: johnnycool on March 07, 2018, 11:15:46 AM
Quote from: GJL on March 07, 2018, 10:52:02 AM
Quote from: awideisneverasgood on March 07, 2018, 10:10:07 AM
On the lookout for something with 7 seats myself, thinking about Hyuandai Sante Fe or Kia Sorrento.

Is there anything else I should consider?
Had thought about the Discovery Sport but Ive heard too many horror stories about Land Rovers so Ill give them a miss.

I had a BMW X5 with 7 seats. Looked great and had fantastic spec. Only down side was the poor MPG.

The road tax on a X5 must be a good bit north of £500 per year now!

They've also got a bad reputation for tyre wear, have you noticed that.

Was looking at bringing a high spec VW Touareg over from England a few years back but my local mechanic put me off as he said even changing the filter was a nightmare.
Rented an X3 with 150 miles on the clock in Scotland , Got a puncture before I hit 200 miles . Runflat tires TG but  no spare , I could not get a spare between Inverness and Glasgow airport abd even if I had it would have been £400  to replace,
Kinds put iff the X series a bit
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

NAG1

Quote from: rosnarun on March 07, 2018, 02:39:34 PM
On the lookout for something with 7 seats myself, thinking about Hyuandai Sante Fe or Kia Sorrento.

Had thought about the Discovery Sport but Ive heard too many horror stories about Land Rovers so Ill give them a miss.

I had a BMW X5 with 7 seats. Looked great and had fantastic spec. Only down side was the poor MPG.

Was looking at bringing a high spec VW Touareg over from England a few years back but my local mechanic put me off as he said even changing the filter was a nightmare.
Rented an X3 with 150 miles on the clock in Scotland , Got a puncture before I hit 200 miles . Runflat tires TG but  no spare , I could not get a spare between Inverness and Glasgow airport abd even if I had it would have been £400  to replace,

Plus they are pointless and they are ugly as sin. Other than that great job  ;D

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 07, 2018, 01:34:43 PM
Quote from: Hound on March 07, 2018, 01:29:43 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 07, 2018, 09:28:21 AM
Quote from: Hound on March 07, 2018, 07:23:12 AM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 06, 2018, 06:59:52 PM
3 times this year already! Are manual 4 wheel drives an option? She who must be obeyed just informed me she doesn't want an automatic.
What's the reason for her not wanting an auto?
Has she driven a decent auto before?

Yes, she had a BMW auto for a while and hated it. Said it was grand for motorway driving but found it poor for short trips and town/city driving. I've never really driven one so can't comment.

Jeez, driving in traffic is what really makes an auto stand out for me. If you are stuck in traffic for 30 mins, driving 50 metres every minute type of thing, then the auto is way less tiring and stressful. But each to their own!

Dinny, I wouldnt believe the stories about the Jeep Cherokee. I really like the look of it (esp the Grand), and I'd imagine the bad stories are from years ago.

Likewise, someone else mentioned Landrover's being bad. I've a mate who loves his Discovery Sport, can't speak more highly about it. There's so many of them about I can't believe they are a bad car.

I do like the look of it too but genuinely haven't a clue but will see what the research says. Will it take one for a test drive.

Had a look at a Jeep Cherokee last night, it is a very nice vehicle, the only drawback is that is has a quite small boot.

I'm going to check out a 2017 Nissan X Trail 1.6 DCI N-Vision 5dr 4WD this evening, it has low mileage and is quite reasonably priced.

thebigfella

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on March 07, 2018, 02:32:21 PM

Buy new and deal hard... nothing like collection day for a new car  ;D

On another note if you a looking for a new sporty saloon with a big boot, the new M5 is quite phenomenal  :)

GJL

Quote from: thebigfella on March 07, 2018, 08:27:57 PM

On another note if you a looking for a new sporty saloon with a big boot, the new M5 is quite phenomenal  :)

If you need a big boot I would recommend an Audi RS6 Avante.

magpie seanie

I brought a second hand car in from the UK recently. More hassle and either you or someone else needs to know a bit about cars but excellent value even when you factor in VRT, flight, ferry etc. I even got a warranty that's effective over here. I think in NI the cross border factor is priced in so cars aren't as good value.

PCP is very expensive. You're paying a high premium for certainty in regards anything going wrong and of course the removal of hassle of resale or getting done on a trade in.

Hound

The car I bought up North was the same price as similar in England. It was less than 1 year old, so maybe that made a difference.

ziggy90

Quote from: GJL on March 08, 2018, 09:42:22 AM
Quote from: thebigfella on March 07, 2018, 08:27:57 PM

If you need a big boot I would recommend an Audi RS6 Avante.

If you need a big boot and a reliable, cheap to run car, look no further than the Skoda Superb. High end spec without the luxury price tag.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

laoislad

Quote from: NAG1 on March 07, 2018, 03:10:23 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on March 07, 2018, 02:39:34 PM

Plus they are pointless and they are ugly as sin. Other than that great job  ;D
Pretty much all BMWs are as ugly as fcuk nowadays.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

balladmaker

An astute business person once told me to "Never own anything that reduces in value" ... a car fits into this perfectly.

Itchy

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 08, 2018, 10:18:24 AM
I brought a second hand car in from the UK recently. More hassle and either you or someone else needs to know a bit about cars but excellent value even when you factor in VRT, flight, ferry etc. I even got a warranty that's effective over here. I think in NI the cross border factor is priced in so cars aren't as good value.

PCP is very expensive. You're paying a high premium for certainty in regards anything going wrong and of course the removal of hassle of resale or getting done on a trade in.

Not so great deals if you are buying a 4x4 due to higher emissions.

Tony Baloney

Anyone any experience of the older Volvo XC90? The missus has to travel hill and glen to work and the roads are shite so a 7-seat 4x4 is the answer but I don't want to spend big money on anything this year, so would buy one to do a few years if in decent nick around the £10k mark.

shezam

Quote from: balladmaker on March 08, 2018, 12:39:08 PM
An astute business person once told me to "Never own anything that reduces in value" ... a car fits into this perfectly.

Anyone got a car on PCH Personal Contract Hire? Views?