FERMANAGH V DOWN Preliminary Round USFC

Started by imagine, October 08, 2008, 08:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

ive just moved to canada.

Check out Setanta, they usually have games that are on TV, you can pay for individual games online in N America or Irish pubs show it in major cities.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Trevor Hill

Quote from: downman on May 12, 2009, 05:50:06 AM
ive just moved to canada. does anyone know how i can watch the match online anywhere as RTE dont broadcast outside of Ireland.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=12230.0

wanderer

From a Fermanagh point of view I would be confident of a result (always am at this time of year). Line up as follows;

1. Gallagher

2. Goan
3. Lyons
4. Jones

5. Kelly
6. McCluskey
7. T.McElroy

8. McGrath
9. Sherry

10. O'Brien
11. C.McElroy
12. Little

13. Maguire
14. Carson
15. D.Keenan

Mourne Rover

Following Benny's injury, there is even worse news emerging today for Down supporters. According to the five-day weather forecasts, it is likely to be a cloudy and wet day in Enniskillen on Sunday with a 95 per cent chance of showers during the afternoon. By my reckoning, the last time we won a championshp match in the rain was against Donegal in Clones in the preliminary round of 1996. Even then, we had an extra man from the first minute, we were awarded a freak goal when Gary Walsh was ruled to have carried the ball over his line and we still only scraped home by a point. Should we even bother turning up on Sunday ?

FermGael

My Fermanagh team

1. Gallagher

2. Goan
3. Lyons
4. Jones

5. Kelly
6. McCluskey
7. Foy(if fit)

8. McGrath
9. Sherry

10.Maguire
11.O'Brien
12. Little

13. T McElroy
14. Carson
15. D.Keenan

That would be the team that i would line out.
If Foy is fit, push Tommy into the forwards and give him a free role.
Would leave a 2 man Full forward line of D Keenan and Carson.  Down Full back line is not good and will be suspect under the high ball.
D Keenan is raw but he played well the last couple of league game and he can hit a free
Bring Eamonn out to the CHF line and with Lyttle they sould win a good amount of break ball, and act as extra defenders in our swarm defence
If fit, Foy should start as well IMO.  Was playing very well before the injury.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

DownFanatic

Its going to be interesting to see if Benny takes part on Sunday. Id say he will and Id expect him to start.

There are also strong rumours going around that Peter Turley is to slot in at full back.

Also, it would be nice to see the Minors getting a win. I have heard glowing reports about the young lad Caolan Mooney from Rostrevor. Supposedly he is still only 16 but he is going to be one of the best to emerge since Marty Clarke.

ExiledGael

Quote from: FermGael on May 12, 2009, 02:40:12 PM
My Fermanagh team

1. Gallagher

2. Goan
3. Lyons
4. Jones

5. Kelly
6. McCluskey
7. Foy(if fit)

8. McGrath
9. Sherry

10.Maguire
11.O'Brien
12. Little

13. T McElroy
14. Carson
15. D.Keenan

That would be the team that i would line out.
If Foy is fit, push Tommy into the forwards and give him a free role.
Would leave a 2 man Full forward line of D Keenan and Carson.  Down Full back line is not good and will be suspect under the high ball.
D Keenan is raw but he played well the last couple of league game and he can hit a free
Bring Eamonn out to the CHF line and with Lyttle they sould win a good amount of break ball, and act as extra defenders in our swarm defence
If fit, Foy should start as well IMO.  Was playing very well before the injury.

Damien Kelly has been struggling with injury lately and hasn't trained according to O'Rourke in the IN today. Hopefully he makes it but those teams look close enough to what I'd expect. Really hope Blobby stays in at 14 all game. He could be the target man we've been looking for and he can really take a score himself. He's been called out to midfield to fight fires throughout the league but he could really test a poor Down full-back line.
Big day for Micky Jones at corner-back too. Can't see Tommy that far forward Fermgael.
Surprised it's all ticket? Will be travelling home on the day, presume the tickets will be on sale at the ground on the day too?
Not gonna sell out in a hundred years.

Pangurban

Lets cut the hype and bullshit lads. Down will win this easily, and in saying that i am not disrespecting Fermanagh, who in their current form and with their list of injuries, will do well to keep the score respectable. I dont underestimate the ability of the current Down team and management to c**k things up, but to lose this one would be difficult even for them

Erne Gael

Quote from: Pangurban on May 12, 2009, 09:28:08 PM
Lets cut the hype and bullshit lads. Down will win this easily, and in saying that  i am not disrespecting Fermanagh who in their current form and with their list of injuries, will do well to keep the score respectable. I dont underestimate the ability of the current Down team and management to c**k things up, but to lose this one would be difficult even for them

That's exactly what you are doing.

Pangurban

That is not nor would ever be my intention, i am merely acknowledging Fermanaghs current difficulties, compounded by growing injury list of key players. In view of this anything less than a comprehensive win for Down would and should be considered failure.

FermPundit

Lets cut the hype and bullshit lads. Down will win this easily, and in saying that i am not disrespecting Fermanagh, who in their current form and with their list of injuries, will do well to keep the score respectable. I dont underestimate the ability of the current Down team and management to c**k things up, but to lose this one would be difficult even for them

Comments like this sum up Down football and their mentality.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Trevor Hill

The game is in Enniskillen, in all probability it will rain and despite promotion we had an extremely poor league campaign against very poor opposition. We lost to Tipperary a couple of weeks ago, we have no full back, the rest of the defence is shaky to say the least and the main players are either injured or returning from long spells on the sideline and the likes of John Clarke, Michael Walsh and James Colgan will watch the game from the stand or even on TV, none of this bodes well for Sunday. A one point win would be a great result in my opinion.

Mourne Rover

FermPundit, you should realise that Pangurban is a regular critic of the Down management, as is his right, and is setting them up for a fall. After the Tipperary game, he came on this board to predict an early championship exit for us. He has now modified this to suggest that anything less than a convincing win in Enniskillen would be a bad result. Most Down fans, comparing  the championship record of the two teams over the last five years, would take a draw now, even before they saw the weather forecast.

mountainboii

Down have done nothing in recent years to suggest that they are significantly better than Fermanagh. In fact, Fermanagh have a much more impressive recent championship pedigree. I'm struggling to understand this mentality, at the minute it just seems like blind arrogance TBH :-\

Pangurban

A one point win would be a great result in my opinion.

The above statement from Trevor Hill is what is really wrong with Down Football and our current mentality. It reflects low self belief and limited ambition. Get a grip man, we are not facing Tyrone or Kerry, this match will be a walkover. Cast out your demons or you will be hyping the likes of Antrim to the status of dangerous opponents next