The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AhFeckRef

Jesus Christ, the patronising attitude towards Leitrim was terrible.  Sure weren't we great to turn up on the day and give a "spirited" display. 

Also why could they not come down of the fence on Galvin! No mater what the CCC are going to do I believe that the Sunday Game should not have condoned this behaviour.

mhacadoir

they looked scared to say anything on the Galvin matter. tommy lyons stumbled and mumbled bout it not being clever but he "is a sound lad", where as tohill sat firmly on the fence, sayin nothing.

i was looking forward to seeing the highlights from newry last nite but they were put together very badly, showed nothing of the pattern of the game.

Zulu

And what is all this 'due process' rubbish, of course all players are entitled to go through whatever disciplinary system is in vogue at the moment but can SG analysts not give an opinion on the issues that a game throws up? Nobody wants analysts to be controversial for the sake of it but it is just as annoying when they sit on the fence about tough issues.

INDIANA

but when they highlight incidents up north they get hammered for it so you can't blame them at times.

Zulu

On this forum maybe Indiana but sure that should be the least of their worries! I rarely watch a soccer or rugby game in full but I often switch over to watch the analysis of the games as they are often entertaining and they rarely pull punches. The SG in contrast is banal and boring with little or no insightful analysis of the issues. I've said this before but ex-players are often friends of current players and as such are often unsble to give unbiased, hard hitting views on the games. The SG is now falling between two stools, it is neither offering extensive highlights nor in depth analysis but only micky mouse versions of both.

ross matt

On the contrary I thought Tommy Lyons spoke very openly and clearly on the Galvin matter. Tohill completely sat on the fence. Dara .... well I think there was a closing of the ranks there.

Two Hands FFS

Two token minutes from the Antrim v Down hurling. OK it might not be top quality but it's a provincial final. I bet the other 7 seven provincial finals played this summer will get live coverage & lenghty highlights. But I wasnt suprised. A joke as usual

Too much analysis after the cavan - Armagh match...everyone wanted to see coverage of the Tyrone - Down from saturday night

magpie seanie

Lads and lassies - a bit off topic (sorry thread police) but whats the tune that played over the Etihad advert just at the end of the ad breaks on the live programme on Sunday? I saw the video recently but didn't catch the name and its hilarious. Basically its a bar in Wales on St Davids Day in 1989 and some guy just lands in and starts these crazy dance moves much to the consternation of all around (including a guy in a fetching vest who spits his pint of bitter across the room!).

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

Seanie, don't know the add but sounds like Utah Saints - Something Good

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oMLCrzy9TEs
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quick off the mark there Jinxy  :o
#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

Thanks guys. Can't view youtube here but will have a look when I go home and prove to my wife it wasn't something I made up!

Hardy

I hope I misheard this, but in a noisy pub in Dublin on Sunday night I thought I heard Tommy Lyons saying something about Armagh scoring "on the second phase". Please tell me I'm wrong.

Uladh

Twas hard to pick that phrase out between all of the business and Grid iron speak the man rehershes and the high pitched "yeknow pat"s.

i love the way he has to refer to his notes to read out the name of thse who "he" thinks has played well. nice touch that.

laoisgaa

Dublin/Wexford replay won't be live on TV
By Cóilín Duffy

Next Sunday's Leinster Senior Hurling Championship semi-final replay between Dublin and Wexford has not been granted live TV coverage it has emerged.

Despite RTÉ showing clashing games on two occasions live last year, the new agreement doesn't allow this according to the Leinster Council.

"The new TV negotiations this year ensured there wouldn't be a clash of live TV games," a Leinster Council Spokesman said today.

"With the entry of TV3 into the market, none of the rights holders are allowed to broadcast games which would clash with other live GAA transmissions."

However there may be a snag in the agreement, for instance if TV3 don't have the rights to cover a live game – such as in the case of last Sunday where RTÉ broadcast
the Connacht SFC semi-final between Galway and Leitrim, and the Leinster SHC semi-final involving Kilkenny and Offaly live.

If a replay had been fixed for last Sunday to clash with those fixtures, there may have been a possibility that it could have been broadcast on RTÉ 1 as the clashing games would have been on two channels of the same broadcaster.

Ulster football fans were angered already this year when the BBC was not allowed show the initial Tyrone/Down Ulster SFC quarter-final live.

RTÉ2 were showing the Cork/Tipperary Munster SHC tie the same day, while TV3 had exclusive live rights to the Dublin/Louth Leinster SFC quarter-final.

In a statement on the BBC website, The Championship presenter Austin O'Callaghan explained that the BBC would have loved to have broadcast the game live, but that contractual reasons denied them from showing, what turned out to be the first drawn game of the Summer.

"The BBC is very keen to show the game live but the television contract simply does not allow us to do so," O'Callaghan said.

"The GAA's Primary TV rights holders for the football and hurling championships are RTE and TV3. The BBC is a secondary rights holder.

"This means we can show the same game live in the Ulster Championship simultaneously with RTE - or in the case of the Ulster final, with TV3.

"But we cannot go "head-to-head" with either broadcaster when they're broadcasting a different, non-Ulster Championship game at the same time."
However to further complicate matters, the BBC have already shown live on two occasions this year, games which have clashed with other Live GAA TV transmissions.

Last Sunday's Armagh and Cavan Ulster SFC quarter-final was broadcast live on BBC2, up against the latter stages of Offaly/Kilkenny in the Leinster SHC and the majority of the Galway/Leitrim Connacht SFC semi-final.

The Beeb had previously clashed with RTÉ when they showed Antrim/Cavan live in the Ulster SFC, on the same day the Southern broadcaster showed the Wicklow/Kildare and Galway/Roscommon football games.

But the BBC and RTÉ are allowed show games head-to-head, with a special dispensation given to fledgling station TV3, when they are showing live games.

As a new broadcaster entering the market TV3 have been given a leg up by the GAA, who have ensured that games broadcast by RTÉ and the BBC don't clash with the commercial station.

Whatever game TV3 are showing live regardless of province or code, neither of the state broadcasters can go up against them. This is to ensure that TV3 can establish itself as a new channel for watching Gaelic Games, and this practice is not uncommon among broadcasting contracts for various sports across the world.

It is understood though that GAA fans will be able to keep their hurling appetites at bay through the internet via the RTE.ie GAA Championships Media Player, which is expected to stream the Dublin/Wexford replay live. However this has yet to be confirmed.

RTÉ has already earned the wrath of GAA supporters this year, by failing to broadcast the Offaly/Westmeath Leinster SFC quarter-final live, and instead showing a Euro 2008 group game.