The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quotewas wondering if that was a typical Wicklow accent.

That's your real Wicklow accent.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Asal Mor

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 11, 2012, 09:11:37 AM
I made the mistake of not watering the flowers at half time in the Kerry game yesterday, and stupidly listened to the half time anal-ysis. Joe Brolly needs to be taken off that job now. He contributes nothing and his insulting of lads who have all Ireland medals coming out their pockets is a disgrace. He;s not fit to lace some of their boots, yet he feels it is appropriate to call Darren O'Sullivan a selfish under 10? Gobshite. Darren O'Sullivan's pacy runs are a ploy Kerry deliberately use you eejit, and if Donaghy had rattled the net then one of those runs would have been responsible for a goal. To say he runs because he is selfish and doesn't want to pass until he runs into someone's "knee-literaly" is absolutely stupid analysis.

Then they pick 3 clips of Kerry lads soloing the ball as evidence that they don't look up, ignoring the long balls kicked into Kieran O'Leary and Gooch and Donaghy that scores came from. It's as if they have a pre-determined rant they want to go on, and then spend the entire half/game looking for examples that support their argument, ignoring anything that contradicts their prejudice.

Also, when you pick up a break, your first instinct is to secure possession, then a solo coming out of the pack, and then you look up. All of the Kerry lads they picked out did exactly that. Joe would have you believe they should win the ball and take their first solo, under pressure, while scanning the field for options. Crazy stuff altogether.

Good post AZ. I agree with all of that.

rrhf

Im no lover of Kerry football but men like Darren O Sullivan deserve more respect from pundits than that. 

screenexile

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on June 11, 2012, 08:31:01 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 11, 2012, 08:10:08 PM
Quote from: Orchardman on June 11, 2012, 06:54:50 PM
didn't big anto tohill get the deadner for speaking out of line one day? he was turning into a good pundit too, took him a few years to warm up. For some reason i don't mind mcstay, bit of a spoofer but he's grand.

Everything that is said about brolly and spillane is true, in fact i never listen to them now, brutal. I like the guys on BBC, but even marty mchugh, a smart football man im sure, is prone to making wild sweeping statements and bullshit analysis.

RTE have some great men for the hurling, and eddie brennan has been a good addition this year, smart talker and no bullshit. Surely we must have some good football men? Kevin cassidy is good whenever he's on TG4

Finally, armagh and john kingham yesterday showed that spillane's 'long ball into the full forward line' is clearly not always the best answer, unless you have both a suitable target man and quality ball going in. Didn't work for big kingham yesterday, but hopefully he'l keep working at it and could well be a useful option

Anything Martin McHugh says that makes sense is undone by his blatant anti Derry bias that shines gloriously through in all his columns and commentary for the BBC. He's a mouth!

mus have Draperstown blood in him somewhere 1

tfal?? lol

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Orchardman on June 11, 2012, 06:54:50 PM
didn't big anto tohill get the deadner for speaking out of line one day?

No.

Dinny Breen

What purpose does it serve to show Davy Fitz swearing, seriously you'd wonder have the people complaining ever been involved in sport when emotions are high and intense.
#newbridgeornowhere

here comes 6

Des Cahill is the biggest mistake the Sunday game has ever made

From the Bunker

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 17, 2012, 10:47:41 PM
What purpose does it serve to show Davy Fitz swearing, seriously you'd wonder have the people complaining ever been involved in sport when emotions are high and intense.

Yeah, jez that's sport! Show us your medals and all that. In the heat of the moment, you'll say and often do anything. It was caught on Telly, that's the difference.

Quote from: here comes 6 on June 17, 2012, 10:57:22 PM
Des Cahill is the biggest mistake the Sunday game has ever made

Yeah, should stick to the day job with Pat Kenny!

Dinny Breen

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 17, 2012, 11:16:21 PM

Yeah, jez that's sport! Show us your medals and all that. In the heat of the moment, you'll say and often do anything. It was caught on Telly, that's the difference.

Classic moment in fairness but hardly worth analysis, Eddie Brennan got a good kick out probably thinking my 8 beats 2.

Davy Fitz and Eoin Kelly exchange pleasantries
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Also it was nice of Pat Spillane to give Alan Mulhall credit for some great saves today, superb goalie and Offaly's best player today.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

You'd hear worse at an u14 match. The Sunday Game really is tabloid tv these days. All sensationalist bullshit and hyperbole. I think most people would prefer to watch proper extended highlights instead of all this "expert analysis."
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

From the Bunker

Spillane on speed tonight, Poor Whelan left as a spectator on the show.  ???

Captain Obvious

After Spillane hype up Donegal tonight i expect them to flop now.

cadence

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 18, 2012, 12:09:13 AM
After Spillane hype up Donegal tonight i expect them to flop now.

his response to how we play football, was untenable in the long run. a climb down for him, but that was inevitable i reckon. wish he would still slag us off though. he's just a silly. like a jeremy clarkson that commentates on gaa.   

sheamy

It was car crash tv. You could even see how uncomfortable Cahill was raising it, not to mention the panel discussing it.

'Ah look now,...'