Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportacus

Wouldn't be too hard on the team.  Nightmare draw and played with a bit of enterprise.  Some good spells going forward.  Just a group of decent club players plugging away against a top team who are years in the making.  Fitzpatrick is really the only quality we have.  He'd make a lot of teams.  No quick fixes, when you're at the bottom it's tough.

Dire Ear

Definitely no shame in that performance from Antrim, never realised there were so many not wanting to play

Spike

Quote from: hardstation on May 25, 2019, 08:40:40 PM
Quote from: Dire Ear on May 25, 2019, 08:33:14 PM
Definitely no shame in that performance from Antrim, never realised there were so many not wanting to play
That's a red herring. They wouldn't be a pile better than the lads who were playing. Not a jot of difference would it make.

Ah come on........a cargin / st galls  combo would be better on their own

Spike

Slightly improve? We have 4 players of county grade playing and no one from our top two clubs are deemed good enough or worth chasing.  No one is expecting us to beat a tyrone but never has the gulf been bigger than right now. If tyrone hadnt taken the foot off the gas it could have been truely shocking. If there has been a worse antrim team in living memory then please remind us as ive never seen it.  Ten years ago we looked to be finally starting to competete, now we look in reverse. Regardless of talent, physically we dont look at it. And that is unforgiveable.

Mentally Antrim looked beat before the game started. That cant be right and since when do you see players and management  chatting and laughing during a hiding in a championship match?

Big problems but sure we say that every year and it never changes. Casement, dunsilly, div 4, lenny, that tyrone match, idiocy of corrigan......we're at rock bottom.

Only way is up - can Saffron Vision PLEASE action the playing side this summer as a priority!!

Tony Baloney

The Antrim Twitter feed is constantly going about how the poor lads have no home ground #ReBuildCasement. Needless to say they never respond to retorts from Antrim gaels asking why they closed it down years before they needed to.

Milltown Row2

Physically we had one or two players that met the Tyrone lads. There is no reason if you're a county player to at the very least present yourself physically at the same  level of the opposition.

On the match it was akin to Liverpool playing Southend. The difference between a div 1 team and a rock bottom div 4 team is very evident.

Tyrone got their scores as you'd expect very easily and we fought very hard for each of our scores and the chances we had to improve on that were lost in case to losing possession in a tackle.

I thought when we had possession we were very good, took the goals well and didn't embarrass themselves with our discipline.

I don't think in all honesty had we our best players available we'd have improved much on that score line
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

The age demographic of Cargin and st galls should be taken into consideration too.

Really I doubt what happened yesterday would ever have been much different. Look what happened Louth and they are division 3 and weren't that far from promotion.

Those 2 games illustrated the huge difference between the top few teams and the lower reaches of the league.

Mr I would disagree with your first point. The setups of Tyrone, Dublin etc etc are hugely professional on the fitness and conditioning side. They also have squads with a lot of continuity. The fitness levels Tyrone have takes a few years to get too. We have massive flux every year so only see gains year on year with a few players.We were always going to struggle to match their fitness levels.

Yesterday illustrated that the football championship in current format really doesn't work.

imtommygunn

Might be a bit harsh but for people to say we were beat the way we were because of no cargin or st galls players is nonsense. They are ageing teams.

Our best are just a million miles away from Tyrone and there is probably a phd's worth of reasons as to why.

Milltown Row2

I get what you are saying but, if I'm training for something I'll get myself to a level that I want to compete at, you set goals and try and achieve them.

I pay 30 odd quid a month for gym membership if I wanted to physically get to a standard I'd have to put the effort in and work out. Some people go to the gym and fart about the ones that don't are on show yesterday, unfortunately being a gifted footballer won't cut the mustard if you are easily beat in a a tackle or unable to win the race to a ball.

Having a fitness coach or dietician telling you what you already know you need to do is a cop out IMO of course
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Belfast GAA man

Did the BBC only realise Casement was closed yesterday? they are a bit late with their correct shaming of the GAA for neglecting our 2nd city

As Lenny said Gaelfast is a primary school initiative we need something aimed at teenagers or we will have to wait to 2030 to see improvement

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 26, 2019, 09:43:44 AM
I get what you are saying but, if I'm training for something I'll get myself to a level that I want to compete at, you set goals and try and achieve them.

I pay 30 odd quid a month for gym membership if I wanted to physically get to a standard I'd have to put the effort in and work out. Some people go to the gym and fart about the ones that don't are on show yesterday, unfortunately being a gifted footballer won't cut the mustard if you are easily beat in a a tackle or unable to win the race to a ball.

Having a fitness coach or dietician telling you what you already know you need to do is a cop out IMO of course

This is elite level stuff though with a lot of sports science behind it. I don't think joe bloggs off the street could get to those levels without a very qualified fitness coach. A lot of pts in gyms would not be in that camp I suspect.

I get part of what you are saying but the level of the top teams in fitness and conditioning is very advanced. Personally I think you can get yourself very fit but I don't think you can get to that level.

To me it is one of the big reasons the gaps are starting to become what they are in inter county football. Yes ability and to be honest mainly organisation but the difference in conditioning between top and bottom teams is huge.

Sportacus

We were much improved on the shambles in Newry last year so management and players deserve some credit for that.  I can't get my head around the two tier system - I'd fear we would disappear off the map altogether.  Still think playing like we did yesterday we would give quite a few teams across the country a game, it's not that long ago the same Tyrone team hammered Armagh in an All Ireland Quarterfinal. 

Milltown Row2

On a positive note, we had some players on show yesterday that didn't look out of place in a top tier team, we just need 20 of them

Belfast GAA man

I think most of St Galls main men are 30 plus and wouldn't have time for county commitment - Cargin should have plenty involved but I'd say their Derry managers over the last few years don't get a F... about Antrim

Dunsilly King

Quote from: hardstation on May 26, 2019, 03:10:40 PM
Most of Cargin's would be 30+ too.

What a load of balls. The team I saw play Creggan a fews ago had about 3. Mick Mc Cann, Tony Scullion for sure, after that Croizer maybe, is he 30 yet