Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snapchap

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 19, 2022, 07:57:27 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on March 19, 2022, 07:49:04 AM
Quote from: dublin7 on March 18, 2022, 09:31:57 PM
When you're a populist party like  SF with no polices you have to expect this ridiculous carry on.
You do know that FF also wiped old statements from their website?

Quote from: dublin7 on March 18, 2022, 09:31:57 PM
All they are about is criticising everything. The day they have to actually make major decisions in government is a frightening day.

Basic things like budgets & limited spending are meaningless to them & that's a frightening thought

lol the Blueshirt fanboy is trying to lecture on budgets and spending!!!
The party that gave us National Childrens Hospital - set to be the most expensive hospital building in the world, and of the most expensive buildings in the world of any description, thanks to a FG managed €1.7 BILLION overspend. To put that in context - the Burj Khalifa (the tallest building in the world) total build cost was less than just the overspend on the Childrens Hospital. Tell me more about how good they are at budgeting again will you?!lol

That's incredible. Not enough people know this.

Apologies I meant the NCH overspend was only just less that cost it build the Burj Khalifa. Overspend set to be at least €1bn. Burj Khalifa in total cost £1.3bn. Staggering.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

As a northerner I'm astounded at how far behind the south we are on absolutely everything bar possibly the NHS. As a Derry man , we have fallen further behind in almost every league table since peace arrived. Was in Letterkenny yesterday  buzzing,

RedHand88

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 19, 2022, 08:48:57 AM
As a northerner I'm astounded at how far behind the south we are on absolutely everything bar possibly the NHS. As a Derry man , we have fallen further behind in almost every league table since peace arrived. Was in Letterkenny yesterday  buzzing,

The North is a hole. At least we agree on that Fear  :D
Not sold on the NHS being better either.

Snapchap

As a northerner I'm astounded at how far behind the south we are on absolutely everything.
Seriously? Did you think the north was an economically viable entity or something?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Snapchap on March 19, 2022, 09:58:04 AM
As a northerner I'm astounded at how far behind the south we are on absolutely everything.
Seriously? Did you think the north was an economically viable entity or something?

Until the late 80s we were away ahead. Successive government in the Republic have been excellent in pushing their economy on. Medical devices being only one example. Manufacturing has died in the north

imtommygunn

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 19, 2022, 09:13:52 AM

The North is a hole. At least we agree on that Fear  :D
Not sold on the NHS being better either.

The uk is slowly being pushed towards an American style healthcare system. Nhs in a bad place.

Rossfan

Could SF/Snapchap tell us how the Hospital overspend could have been avoided without it being a basic 4 walls, roof and long rows of beds?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tyrone08

Quote from: Rossfan on March 19, 2022, 11:07:47 AM
Could SF/Snapchap tell us how the Hospital overspend could have been avoided without it being a basic 4 walls, roof and long rows of beds?

Wouldn't it have been a good place to start to set a realistic budget to begin with. I am continually astound as to how large scale projects with government run way over budget. They pay huge sums to project managers and no one is held to account.

Rossfan

They should of course have built it in a green field in the grounds of Tallaght or Connolly Hospitals instead of an inner city site.
The Hospital Consultants didn't want to have to travel 5 miles though and to hell with patients trying to beat their way through traffic etc.
Of course the precedent was set with fkn Bertie approving it for his Constituency originally.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: tyrone08 on March 19, 2022, 11:22:02 AM

Wouldn't it have been a good place to start to set a realistic budget to begin with. I am continually astound as to how large scale projects with government run way over budget. They pay huge sums to project managers and no one is held to account.

Nearly remind you of Casement Park

Sportacus

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 19, 2022, 10:19:54 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on March 19, 2022, 09:58:04 AM

Until the late 80s we were away ahead. Successive government in the Republic have been excellent in pushing their economy on. Medical devices being only one example. Manufacturing has died in the north
Mandatory coalition explains a lot Fear.  They dither and argue rather than making decisions.  It would be hard to make a success of anywhere in the world never mind here.  Plus our MLAs largely are a bunch of amateur and the civil service is a bureaucratic swamp. Throw in lack of scale, riots etc and it's truth is we're going nowhere fast.

Snapchap

:o WTF are you asking me that for? If it was inevitable that it was going to cost comfortably over €2bn then maybe the question you should be asking is why was Varadkar, only four years ago, announcing that it was going to cost €900m.

"How could the overspend have been avoided" lol. Well if we can't blame the government who budgeted it at €900m, then it must be nobody's fault  ::)

Rossfan

Typical Shinner moan complain jibe know it all till asked "what would you do".

Snapchap

Quote from: Rossfan on March 19, 2022, 11:36:10 PM
Typical Shinner moan complain jibe know it all till asked "what would you do".

Typical blueshirt response. Excuse gross incompetence and keep voting as before.

Would would I have done? What does that matter? I'm not the f**king Taoiseach. But sure since you asked, I'd have simply budgeted accurately. You implied that it was always going to cost over €2bn. If even you knew that, why did the FG government not know that as recently as four years ago when they said it would cost €900m?

seafoid

The main problem is the Union.

The UK focuses on SE England. Regions get ignored. Northern England, the English Midlands and Wales are in the same boat as NI.
NI was richer than the South when it had industry and high protestant productivity.
But the industries collapsed.
Deindustrialisation was dealt with by social welfare rather than investment. UK productivity is very poor.

NI also has polarised education and the aftermath of the war.

The RoI has a volatile economic model made up of a profitable multinational part and a mediocre domestic part.