Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: Itchy on December 12, 2020, 02:03:51 PM
I reserve the right to call a west brit a f**king West brit. Like poppy wearing Frank Feighan for example, an utter west brit. Or the gobshites thet want to honour the RIC, more west brits.
But this fails or refuses to understand the wider ramifications of doing such

Calling somebody a "west Brit" is pure name calling and nothing more

If you see name calling as legitimate, then others will also engage in it against you

And you have no comeback, because you introduced it in the first place

Do not then complain when Irish politics descends into a US style culture war shitshow - because language such as "west Brits" explictly makes it such

Do not then complain when real issues that affect people's day to day lives vanish from the news

Calling somebody a "west Brit" is a cop out - it's a refusal to deal with real issues

Instead of showing a concern for politics, it shows the opposite - a total disregard for politics, total disregard for real issues, and then, you get the sort of politics you deserve - one that is staffed by useless incompetents - that's what you have in Stormont

It's also an actual example of cancel culture

As somebody from the Republic, I don't want the Dáil to turn into Stormont but it seems that that's what a lot of Sinn Feiners want

sid waddell

Quote from: hardstation on December 12, 2020, 01:36:23 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 12, 2020, 01:19:19 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 12, 2020, 11:59:45 AM
Quote from: Angelo on December 12, 2020, 11:51:54 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 12, 2020, 08:11:05 AM
Why wouid any northern nationalist care about comparing FF FG to SF, is that people's only defence against SF incompetence on here?

I don't like parties that stood back and enabled a loyalist pogrom and British state forces terrorise the nationalist community then use victims of the troubles to score political points against their opponents.

It's nasty and cynical and insulting to northern nationalists.

Would you ever devalve hi, honestly it doesn't matter to us, it's just a manufactured ploy to gain power in South. Get with the facts , ROI is a really good country on a world stage, yes the west Brits are dicks but Shinners wouid destroy Irish economic gains. The truth is bitter sometimes
If Sinn Fein want to call people "west Brits", they shouldn't then complain when people then brand them as sectarian murderers or Trumpists

Two can play that game
If the Trumpist, sectarian murderers don't complain but in turn call those other people "sectarian murderers who became west brits", where do we go from there?
But in the Dail, only Sinn Fein are still glorifying a campaign of which sectarian murder was an integral part

Nobody else is

Therefore it's totally legitimate to call Sinn Fein glorifiers of sectarian murder, especially after comments like that of Stanley and David Cullinane

Sinn Fein are the people who have put politics in the Republic down this road

If you're happy to give it, don't complain when you have to take it

I say this as somebody who voted no. 1 for Sinn Fein in 2011 and 2016

red hander

What was sectarian in Stanley's comments? Kilmichael was an operation against murdering Auxilliary bastards. Narrow Water was an operation against murdering Parachute Regiment bastards.

Itchy

Quote from: red hander on December 12, 2020, 06:20:04 PM
What was sectarian in Stanley's comments? Kilmichael was an operation against murdering Auxilliary bastards. Narrow Water was an operation against murdering Parachute Regiment bastards.

100%

And sorry sid, calling something what it is is not name calling in my book.

sid waddell

I didn't say the comments were sectarian in and of themselves

I said Sinn Fein and Stanley glorify a campaign which had sectarian murder as an integral part

Which they did

You call the Auxiliaries and the Paras "murdering bastards"

As forces, I wouldn't disagree

But so were the PIRA murdering bastards

sid waddell

Quote from: Itchy on December 12, 2020, 09:19:49 PM

100%

Well if you're to take the literal interpretation of what a west Brit is - which you invite the reader to do - it would refer to somebody from the western part of Britain, for example, Wales

But if you're being literal - which you say you are - when you call people born and bred in Ireland "west Brits", the only explanation for that would be that you actually believe Ireland is part of Britain

Which would be incredibly ironic

But of course in reality it's just a pathetic, childish slur against Irish people whose opinions you don't like but who you don't have the smarts to actually argue against

You don't have to like anybody's opinions, fine, but argue properly against them, because by doing nothing other than calling those people stupid names, you actually give them the moral high ground and unintentionally afford them a credibility you simultaneously deny to yourself

Seaney

Quote from: sid waddell on December 12, 2020, 10:54:45 PM

100%

Well if you're to take the literal interpretation of what a west Brit is - which you invite the reader to do - it would refer to somebody from the western part of Britain, for example, Wales

But if you're being literal - which you say you are - when you call people born and bred in Ireland "west Brits", the only explanation for that would be that you actually believe Ireland is part of Britain

But of course in reality it's just a pathetic, childish slur against Irish people whose opinions you don't like but who you don't have the smarts to actually argue against

You don't have to like anybody's opinions, fine, but argue properly against them, because by doing nothing other than calling those people stupid names, you actually give them the moral high ground and unintentionally afford them a credibility you simultaneously deny to yourself

Or against I am lucky enough to be born in the free state, f**k do I care selling out the nordies.

red hander

Quote from: sid waddell on December 12, 2020, 10:40:53 PM

I said Sinn Fein and Stanley glorify a campaign which had sectarian murder as an integral part

Which they did

How does it feel to live in the freedom won for you by violent republicans standing up against the most despicable murdering empire in history that makes Hitler, Stalin and Mao look like amateurs. You are the epitome of a West Brit. Deluded arsehole.

restorepride

Quote from: sid waddell on December 12, 2020, 03:25:15 PM
Quote from: hardstation on December 12, 2020, 01:36:23 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 12, 2020, 01:19:19 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 12, 2020, 11:59:45 AM
Quote from: Angelo on December 12, 2020, 11:51:54 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 12, 2020, 08:11:05 AM
Why wouid any northern nationalist care about comparing FF FG to SF, is that people's only defence against SF incompetence on here?

I don't like parties that stood back and enabled a loyalist pogrom and British state forces terrorise the nationalist community then use victims of the troubles to score political points against their opponents.

It's nasty and cynical and insulting to northern nationalists.

Would you ever devalve hi, honestly it doesn't matter to us, it's just a manufactured ploy to gain power in South. Get with the facts , ROI is a really good country on a world stage, yes the west Brits are dicks but Shinners wouid destroy Irish economic gains. The truth is bitter sometimes
If Sinn Fein want to call people "west Brits", they shouldn't then complain when people then brand them as sectarian murderers or Trumpists

Two can play that game
If the Trumpist, sectarian murderers don't complain but in turn call those other people "sectarian murderers who became west brits", where do we go from there?
But in the Dail, only Sinn Fein are still glorifying a campaign of which sectarian murder was an integral part

Nobody else is

Therefore it's totally legitimate to call Sinn Fein glorifiers of sectarian murder, especially after comments like that of Stanley and David Cullinane

Sinn Fein are the people who have put politics in the Republic down this road

If you're happy to give it, don't complain when you have to take it

I say this as somebody who voted no. 1 for Sinn Fein in 2011 and 2016
Reading your sectarian comments, I'm surprised you were even allowed to vote.

Rossfan

If his name is on the Reguster he's entitled to vote.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thebigfella

Quote from: red hander on December 12, 2020, 11:24:13 PM

Which they did

How does it feel to live in the freedom won for you by violent republicans standing up against the most despicable murdering empire in history that makes Hitler, Stalin and Mao look like amateurs. You are the epitome of a West Brit. Deluded arsehole.

:D

general_lee

Which they did

Did you not get the memo? Blowing up British soldiers and executing them by the side of the road is only morally acceptable pre-partition. Sectarianism only ever existed in the northern state and the IRA 1970 onwards were waging a sectarian war in a bid to kill all Protestants.

Seriously though, the hypocrisy among some people is astonishing and would make most unionists blush.

Itchy

100%

"childish" That would imply I am a child, but in fact I am an adult in my 40s.
"Stupid", That would imply I am lack intelligence, but I have a degree and a masters and work as a manager in a medical device company.

You should concentrate on debating and not throwing around these slurs sir. It totally belittles the really clever arguments you make on the use of the English language and your incredible knowledge of Geography will be wasted if you don't improve the delivery of your arguments.

sid waddell

Quote from: Itchy on December 13, 2020, 09:52:07 AM

100%

"childish" That would imply I am a child, but in fact I am an adult in my 40s.
"Stupid", That would imply I am lack intelligence, but I have a degree and a masters and work as a manager in a medical device company.

You should concentrate on debating and not throwing around these slurs sir. It totally belittles the really clever arguments you make on the use of the English language and your incredible knowledge of Geography will be wasted if you don't improve the delivery of your arguments.
Childish - "of, like, appropriate to a child"

Which calling people "west Brits" is

I didn't call you "stupid" - I said calling people "west Brits" when you can't argue against the points of other people, is stupid

Which it is

Ironically with that post - because you show you're unable
i) to distinguish between something being childish, and being a child
ii) something being stupid and somebody being stupid...

well, it should be obvious, shouldn't it?

Did you have a basic English language comprehension failing - or maybe it was a deliberate, performative comprehension failing?

Your argument is that because you have a Masters degree and work as a manager in a medical device company (well done on that) that it proves you are an intelligent commentator on Irish politics and history

It definitely doesn't and your posts here have been the opposite of intelligent commentary

sid waddell

Quote from: thebigfella on December 13, 2020, 12:28:30 AM

Which they did

:D
It was quite predictable that a Sinn Fein supporter would leap in and try to lessen the crimes of Hitler

A sort of Up the RA Godwin's Law

You didn't address the point - I called the PIRA murdering bastards, but clearly you disagree

You disagree that those who murdered the workmen at Kingsmills and Joanne Mathers and the people at Enniskillen and the members of the Irish Collie Club and Jonathan Ball and Tim Parry and the people buying fish on the Shankill Road were murdering bastards

That signifies at least some degree of agreement with those murders

In short, the attitude of Sinn Fein supporters on this forum is: murdering civilians is just fine, as long as our lads did it