Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: lawnseed on September 11, 2013, 11:19:28 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on September 11, 2013, 10:04:44 AM
They may call it "The North", "this place" or the 6 Counties" but SF/SDLP's cosy little inclusive executive has placed Irish Unity so far in the future it is quite likely that Gibraltar and Spain will be unified first. It's not even as if there is a smidgen of recognition of any Irish detention in the state...completely represented at home and abroad by purely Unionist/British symbols. Unionists don't even have the generosity of spirit to recognise any Irish dimension whatsoever. Hence their ulsterisation of Seamus Heaney and the continuing references to us all being British Citizens. As an Irish person living in Northern Ireland my identity and allegiances are not given any recognition and our political parties seem unwilling or unable to change this any time soon. That said a vast majority of nationalists are quite happy to accept this. My prediction is in 2116 there will be a unionist controlled administration here and they will only be 25% of the population.
I think the problem lies south of the border such are the antics of the sliveen and sleazy adminstrations since partition that nationalists/republicans are sickened to the extent that they would give up their birthright.

So you're unionist now?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

LeoMc

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 11, 2013, 09:53:07 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on September 11, 2013, 08:36:02 PM
Carol ni chulihin wants to bring the commenthwealth games here.
From the party that brought us UK City of culture!! Republican my ar*e!

So either there is going to be no Irish unity before 2022 or else a United Ireland will rejoin the commonwealth ???

lawnseed

crisis!!! relations between the dup and the shinners are at an all time low according the Gerry Kelly this morning on fat Nolan. Gregory was there also.. ::) Gregory says the dup are doing what their voters want, and that they will never treat sinn fein the same as other democratic parties.  :-[ :-[
what are the alternatives.. play for time until the bad weather comes and Xmas hopefully the prods will forget about banging their drums long enough to get on with running this kip or maybe Haas can dig something up?.. or collapse the assembly and call an election... eehhmm../ what would happen?
firstly sinn fein's biggest opponents are not the unionists. the biggest enemy is the stoops they alone hold the only votes that sinn fein consider 'gettable'. right now an election IMO would see the end of the stoops, with the leader in waiting gone in disgrace and big AL busy counting his money, wee Ritchie ::) and Alex 'I ask myself questions.. and if I ask myself why do I do that.....' they have never been so vulnerable. also with basil and co away from the uup an election wouldn't do the dup any harm or would it? jim allister sure makes a lot of noise for a one man party..
this is great stuff real game of thrones
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: lawnseed on September 25, 2013, 10:27:58 PM
crisis!!! relations between the dup and the shinners are at an all time low according the Gerry Kelly this morning on fat Nolan. Gregory was there also.. ::) Gregory says the dup are doing what their voters want, and that they will never treat sinn fein the same as other democratic parties.  :-[ :-[
what are the alternatives.. play for time until the bad weather comes and Xmas hopefully the prods will forget about banging their drums long enough to get on with running this kip or maybe Haas can dig something up?.. or collapse the assembly and call an election... eehhmm../ what would happen?
firstly sinn fein's biggest opponents are not the unionists. the biggest enemy is the stoops they alone hold the only votes that sinn fein consider 'gettable'. right now an election IMO would see the end of the stoops, with the leader in waiting gone in disgrace and big AL busy counting his money, wee Ritchie ::) and Alex 'I ask myself questions.. and if I ask myself why do I do that.....' they have never been so vulnerable. also with basil and co away from the uup an election wouldn't do the dup any harm or would it? jim allister sure makes a lot of noise for a one man party..

^^^Lobotomy alert^^^^

lawnseed

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 25, 2013, 11:21:22 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on September 25, 2013, 10:27:58 PM

^^^Lobotomy alert^^^^
what? I never mentioned laboratory
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Applesisapples

I really think if Sinn Fein and the SDLP have any self respect, or respect for nationalism and Irish Identity they need to pull the plug on Stormont. The DUP are being led not by Peter Robinson, but by the bigotted no surrender kilt wearing faction exemplified by wee Nelson. A faction that can't tell the difference between the Highland Gaelic tradition brought to Scotland by Gael's from Ireland and what passes for lowland Scot's culture. There is no such phrase as parity of esteem in their language and equality and human rights don't exist. Robinson's barely concealed sectarianism in is deriding of Allister for selling land to Republicans shows what is just below the surface. Added to that the economy minister instead of pointing out that violent protest is bringing Belfast business too it's knees says that the city shouldn't be a cold house for protesters and marchers...you couldn't make it up. There are ordinary decent unionists out there who want to see this place move forward and wouldn't mind equality but they have no voice and are afraid to put their heads above the parapet, just as ordinary decent nationalists couldn't be seen to criticise the IRA in the troubles. Joint Sovereignty is the only answer.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 26, 2013, 09:55:20 AM
I really think if Sinn Fein and the SDLP have any self respect, or respect for nationalism and Irish Identity they need to pull the plug on Stormont. The DUP are being led not by Peter Robinson, but by the bigotted no surrender kilt wearing faction exemplified by wee Nelson. A faction that can't tell the difference between the Highland Gaelic tradition brought to Scotland by Gael's from Ireland and what passes for lowland Scot's culture. There is no such phrase as parity of esteem in their language and equality and human rights don't exist. Robinson's barely concealed sectarianism in is deriding of Allister for selling land to Republicans shows what is just below the surface. Added to that the economy minister instead of pointing out that violent protest is bringing Belfast business too it's knees says that the city shouldn't be a cold house for protesters and marchers...you couldn't make it up. There are ordinary decent unionists out there who want to see this place move forward and wouldn't mind equality but they have no voice and are afraid to put their heads above the parapet, just as ordinary decent nationalists couldn't be seen to criticise the IRA in the troubles. Joint Sovereignty is the only answer.

Odd that your idea of getting "respect for nationalism" is to hand more power to westminster.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Applesisapples

Quote from: Nally Stand on September 26, 2013, 10:14:05 AM

Odd that your idea of getting "respect for nationalism" is to hand more power to westminster.
Westminister has ulimate power here any way, I want to see the Government from the South take some power and responsibility as well as equla status for nationalist flegs and kulture.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 26, 2013, 10:44:22 AM

Westminister has ulimate power here any way, I want to see the Government from the South take some power and responsibility as well as equla status for nationalist flegs and kulture.

I'd like all that myself alright. And maybe to win the lotto too; but as the late Brian Keenan once said, wish lists are for Christmas. Pulling out of stormont for good won't all of a sudden give Dublin power and responsibility for here and won't suddenly mean equality for Irish culture in the six counties, and it baffles me as to why you think otherwise!!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Applesisapples

Quote from: Nally Stand on September 26, 2013, 11:20:21 AM

I'd like all that myself alright. And maybe to win the lotto too; but as the late Brian Keenan once said, wish lists are for Christmas. Pulling out of stormont for good won't all of a sudden give Dublin power and responsibility for here and won't suddenly mean equality for Irish culture in the six counties, and it baffles me as to why you think otherwise!!
What exactly has 10 or 12 years of Stormont given to Nationalists when it comes to real equality? Nothing if you listen to Peter and his poodle in the UUP.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 26, 2013, 11:25:34 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on September 26, 2013, 11:20:21 AM

What exactly has 10 or 12 years of Stormont given to Nationalists when it comes to real equality? Nothing if you listen to Peter and his poodle in the UUP.
I'm not talking about what stormont has done or not done! You might not be happy with it but it doesn't mean you'll suddenly achieve some huge nationalist aspirations simply by opting out of it!! You are saying that if nationalists leave Stormont and hand more power back to Westminster, that suddenly Dublin will a ball of power and responsibility for the six counties and Irish culture in the six counties will receive equal treatment! I seem to be missing a step or two (or two hundred) somewhere in between and I'd love you to fill in the gaps!

Applesisapples

So how exactly do you see SF and the SDLP moving things forward. They have even fallen into the BBC habit of failing to point out the log in PUL eyes when being asked about the mote in their own. For example Unionists harp on about Castlederg and no one challenges them about the many more marches by loyalists which not only celebrate the UVF/RHC/UDA etc but are designed to insult. The most obvious unspoken truth of them all is that the so called cultural expression of orangism is a celebration of various victories in sordid sectarian squabbles.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 26, 2013, 02:43:11 PM
So how exactly do you see SF and the SDLP moving things forward. They have even fallen into the BBC habit of failing to point out the log in PUL eyes when being asked about the mote in their own. For example Unionists harp on about Castlederg and no one challenges them about the many more marches by loyalists which not only celebrate the UVF/RHC/UDA etc but are designed to insult. The most obvious unspoken truth of them all is that the so called cultural expression of orangism is a celebration of various victories in sordid sectarian squabbles.

I don't know how they move things forward, but you're the one has proposed a solution (pulling out of stormont). I'm asking you to explain what steps I'm missing from your solution, because so far all I can gather from your idea are a start and an end...

1. Nationalists pull out of stormont and give almost all power back to Westminster
2. ?????
3. Dublin gets "increased power and responsibility" and Irish culture in the north is treated with equality.

Please do explain how stage 1 above, leads to stage 3 in your head!

give her dixie

I was listening to the Nolan show as well yesterday and it was desperate stuff all right. Gregory at least spoke the truth when he said that they as a party will not give respect to SF. Gerry Kelly told of how they walk past them in the corridors at Stormont with their eyes to the ground and casn't look them straight in the face. When is the last time you seen a DUP politician on TV look a SF one in the eye? Do you ever see Peter Robinson glance round at Martin McGuinness during a press meeting? And these 2 men are flying around the world trying to promote this neck of the woods. What hope have we?

I called into the show and gave my view. Stormont needs to shut down. It is going backways, and the only legislation that has been passed in donkeys has been a tax on plastic bags !! They are all drawing a good salary, which was recently increased, hundreds more are employed in the background, and you just have to ask yourself what the hell are they doing? It seems the only thing they are good at is bickering like schoolkids. Cut them all lose, and while I accept London will have a more direct rule, sure they are only cutting out the middle man anyhow.

Before the last Stormont elections the parties promised us the sun moon and stars, and to date they have failed us. The only person kicking down doors and shaking things up is Jim Allister. He is running rings around them all, and there isn't anyone to match him. We could do with a nationalist version......

Without a doubt the vast majority of us want to live in peace and put sectarian nonsense behind us, but sadly the people in charge pander to the tiny minority.

Democracy eh?

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Nally Stand

Quote from: give her dixie on September 26, 2013, 03:59:50 PM
The only person kicking down doors and shaking things up is Jim Allister. He is running rings around them all, and there isn't anyone to match him. We could do with a nationalist version......

Quote from: give her dixie on September 26, 2013, 03:59:50 PM
Without a doubt the vast majority of us want to live in peace and put sectarian nonsense behind us

Wanting to get rid of sectarianism while praising Jim Allister (the finest political mind of the 17th century), and wishing there were more like him?

Hmmmmm ???