Armagh v Down 2011 Ulster Championship First Round

Started by 6Sams, October 07, 2010, 08:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 10, 2010, 08:59:11 PM
Ah snoopdog, no. I like reading comments from (supposedly) grown men that make them seem like children. There's a fair few comments like these in this thread. Funny reading. Pity Trevor Hill wasn't still with us, or God only knows what'd happen. Fearon's quiet enough too. The flags and bunting must be taken down.
He is, Trevor Hill = MCMLX

Does the bitterness not shine through?  :D
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

nrico2006

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 09, 2010, 07:58:05 PM
What shite are you talking?  Armagh winning silverware this year and getting promoted to Division 1 isn't exactly bad times.  Bad times is when you get relegated to Division 2 and get put out of the Championship by a heavy defeat from the Dubs.

Maybe the bad times are returning to Armagh when their fans come on here and use the League as the benchmark for success.  I am sure Down fans and Tyrone fans aren't too worried about what happened in the League this year as the Championship is what counts, but on the otherhand Armagh fans must be worried giving the beating they took at the hand of Monaghan who were subsequently given a beating. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ardmhachaabu

Nah I think any Armagh fans worth anything at all will look to the Dublin match as a marker of where they are at.  Remind me what happened Tyrone against Dublin while you clutch at a few more straws there. 
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

nrico2006

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 11, 2010, 09:41:51 AM
Nah I think any Armagh fans worth anything at all will look to the Dublin match as a marker of where they are at.  Remind me what happened Tyrone against Dublin while you clutch at a few more straws there.

Tyrone lost to Dublin as I am sure you know, but to suggest Tyrone were given a heavy defeat is pretty inaccurate.  Shot themselves out of it, coupled with a fortunate goal.  But I think you also would realise that in your heart of hearts that Armagh are nowhere near (and won't be) serious All Ireland contenders for a considerable time, whereas Tyrone will be. 

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

MCMLX

Tyrone were still playing in August, where were Armagh?

mackers

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 11, 2010, 10:59:21 AM

Tyrone lost to Dublin as I am sure you know, but to suggest Tyrone were given a heavy defeat is pretty inaccurate.  Shot themselves out of it, coupled with a fortunate goal.  But I think you also would realise that in your heart of hearts that Armagh are nowhere near (and won't be) serious All Ireland contenders for a considerable time, whereas Tyrone will be. 

Where did he suggest that Tyrone suffered a heavy defeat to Dublin? I presume he's hinting that both Tyrone and Armagh had similar results against Dublin, that's all.
The second bit I've highlighted is a big statement on your behalf, what do you call a "considerable time"? I think this Armagh team are capable of challenging for AI honours within the next few years. Next year's league will tell us a lot about this Armagh team. You'll find that Tyrone are going to have to re-build also as some of the lads that brought them AI glory are over the hill. But, unlike you, I'll not make any big statements about their future until I see more of their new talent.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 10, 2010, 09:06:53 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 10, 2010, 08:59:11 PM
Ah snoopdog, no. I like reading comments from (supposedly) grown men that make them seem like children. There's a fair few comments like these in this thread. Funny reading. Pity Trevor Hill wasn't still with us, or God only knows what'd happen. Fearon's quiet enough too. The flags and bunting must be taken down.
He is, Trevor Hill = MCMLX

Does the bitterness not shine through?  :D

I must be a bit slow these days. :-[
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

nrico2006

Quote from: mackers on October 11, 2010, 03:26:42 PM

Where did he suggest that Tyrone suffered a heavy defeat to Dublin? I presume he's hinting that both Tyrone and Armagh had similar results against Dublin, that's all.
The second bit I've highlighted is a big statement on your behalf, what do you call a "considerable time"? I think this Armagh team are capable of challenging for AI honours within the next few years. Next year's league will tell us a lot about this Armagh team. You'll find that Tyrone are going to have to re-build also as some of the lads that brought them AI glory are over the hill. But, unlike you, I'll not make any big statements about their future until I see more of their new talent.

See below:

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 09, 2010, 07:58:05 PM
What shite are you talking?  Armagh winning silverware this year and getting promoted to Division 1 isn't exactly bad times.  Bad times is when you get relegated to Division 2 and get put out of the Championship by a heavy defeat from the Dubs.

ardmhachaabu

Shot themselves out of it?   :D

How did that happen exactly?  Did the posts uproot themselves and move 10 yards in either direction any time a Tyrone man took a shot? 

By your logic, we should have put Tyrone out of the Championship in the first round last year because MOR missed that many times

Last year when Cork ran rings round Tyrone I said it was the beginning of the end for that team, this year when they got heavily beaten by the Dubs confirmed for me that this Tyrone team are far from at their peak.  Casting up the hammering we got from Monaghan means nothing really.  Fact is we could have and should have beaten the Dubs.  Tyrone never looked like winning that game, face facts.  The goal towards the end just sealed the deal. 

Don't tell me you are one of those people who think that Tyrone have a system which is easy for anyone to slot into.  I find that extremely naive.  It is built on the squad knowing each other well, knowing how each other plays, who will run into space, who will support you and fit into your position when you go on a charge up the field.  That sort of system takes a long time to get right and when it does it has a relatively short life-span.  Time is running out for Tyrone, they have had it good for a long time now and gained a lot of admiration along the way including from me at times.  I can admire players and keep the dislike to the team only  ;)

They have been extremely fortunate along the way in attaining 3 AIs at senior level, Armagh could have had as many during the years 1999 - 2005. It didn't happen that way.  That's sport.  Armagh will be looking at improving on what they achieved in the  Championship this year next, you can count on that.  That's a quarter-final place at least...

Orangemac

Logged on to this thread excited about the game next year. Disappointing to see the pettiness.

The problem with the draw in October is that a lot can change in 8 months. When we got Derry last year it seemd like a tough draw, by the time of the game it didn't look so tough.

Bookies will have Down favourites no doubt but next year will be even harder for McCartan. Momentum may not be so easy to gather next year.

Not wanting to put any pressure on Paddy O'Rourke but if he loses this one pressure will be building on him.

Apple Crumble

JUst retired

tonto1888

Im a lurgan man, and for me Down have always been the biggest rivals, the tyrone thing is more recent. As regards to the match, both teams will be well up for it. Dont wanna make any predictions at the moment with so long to go but it should be a cracker.

lawnseed

this is where the wheels really come off for paddy o'rourke, he knows little enough about managing but getting armagh past his beloved down is a bridge too far.. theres plenty of time to get a manager it will have to be bye bye paddy for the orchard to progress, VERDICT Down.
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

5 Sams

Quote from: lawnseed on October 12, 2010, 10:53:39 PM
this is where the wheels really come off for paddy o'rourke, he knows little enough about managing but getting armagh past his beloved down is a bridge too far.. theres plenty of time to get a manager it will have to be bye bye paddy for the orchard to progress, VERDICT Down.

Fcuk sake lave him alone will ye!!! He's doin a grand job ;)
The Aristocrat Years