Cork GAA clubs forum report

Started by Zulu, July 30, 2009, 12:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

I thought I'd post this here as it should be of interest to many posters, it is the report from Cork GAA clubs after the fall out from the players strike, I actually haven't read it all yet myself so I have no comment to make on it, enjoy!!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/snqlojgbid/rss2/

Zulu

Just read it there and I thought it was an excellent document with some very interesting suggestions. What struck me though is the potential that resides in Cork, if they get their act together they'll become a dominant force in the GAA which should be welcomed by all, as counties like Cork and Dublin raising the bar forces the rest of us to match them and that results in a better GAA nationally.

INDIANA

Has no decision making powers though. Thats a major drawback- because from my experience of the internal workings of county boards. Many club delegates will say one thing at a conference and vote the other way if the county board want them to by offering them a concession for their club. Unless osme of those proposals are actually passed at county board- ie all clubs having representation then its just another report that will gather dust on another county board shelf. A step in the right direction but I wouldn't hold my breath- these are the same clubs that have sat on their hands for the last 10-15 years with the same problems. That mindset won't change overnight.

Zulu

Well that's true enough Indiana but like you say it is a step in the right direction and they are looking for changes to bye laws that allow junior clubs a vote, that delegates have to go back to clubs for their views and that all votes are public so that everyone knows how each delegate voted. This is coming from the clubs so i presume the clubs will vote them through.

Reillers

This was the original site where we all had been downloading it.
http://www.filefront.com/14098627/Cork%20GAA%20Clubs%27%20Forum%20Interim%20Report%2021st%20July%202009%20R00.doc
But thankfully the Examiner made it a lot more simple.

It's a very pathetic reflection on the CCB though. The CCB have been given a free excellent report, it's clear that a lot of hard work went into this from everyone involved, and for that, congrats and fair play to them. A huge amount of work has obviously been put into this very common sense document, clearly written, and  laid out.
No stone has been left unturned by this Club forum. The people who've wrote this are real GAA men, with the Cork's best interest at heart. And it should be mandatory reading and should be studied in detail by each memeber of the CCB.

If I was part of the organisation that this was written about, I would hang my head in shame, resign and get away as quickly as possible, because that is just pathetic. Its beyond embarrassing, and the sad thing is is that it's not embarasing to the CCB because, well they just dont care, but to the rest of us in the county.

Clubs have been tested and pushed to the limit by the CCB. Hopefully it's been one push to far. I think we've the power if we unite toghether like we did a few months ago we could force something out of the CCB. Instead of having our decision ruled out of order or completley outvoted by delgates dangling on a string.

And the CCB's response to this was, if I remember rightly, was that they'll look at it, followed by a but.

Indy you're right in the fact that it holds no decision making power. But sometime way back months ago the thought of this, of the clubs coming out with this was laughable. It's the clubs highlighting the CCB's problems, and they wouldn't have dared to do that before the last strike.

A few months ago we were completley united, we all stood up against the CCB and their response was pretty much that our opinion didn't matter, but that momentum, that power that was felt in that room that night, that power that was felt up and down the clubs in Cork..it was undescribeable and for the first time in a long time we felt like we were the ones in control. We scared the CCB that night. For the first time in a long time the clubs stopped just looking out for themselves and stood back to back wanting, willing to take on the CCB. Sick of having to watch every motion that the CCB don't like outvoted by OUR delegates or ruled out of order.

It's something that, bit by bit, strike by strike, has been building for years. We have the power and it's about time we acted on it. For too long we've sat, twidled our tumbs and did nothing.
It's about time we stood up against the CCB and took our GAA back.

Cork have massive potential in the county, so many clubs and players. If all our efforts were concentrated where they should be, instead of fighting with ourselves, there's no logical reason why Cork shouldn't dominate and get to every AI final, and win most of them. We have the players..but not the set up or the will power in the CCB.  
If we put all that power, all that potential we have together then we'd be unstopable. But no, instead nothing's focused. Nothing's stable. From our underage level to our home ground. There's no structure, there's no direction. It's laughable. That needs to change. And hopefully it will now.

"The mindset won't change overnight"..true. But this has been going on for years. The CCB have continued to insult the clubs by their actions, punish clubs for acting out against them, and ignore them when they stand up to them. We've hidden from them for years, afraid of ramifications, instead of tackling them straight on.
The only group of people who've had the balls to take them on were the IC players, and we did nothing to help.
We let them fight our battles. And in return they've gotten so much abuse for fighting our fight from people who don't understand the inner workings of Cork GAA. At least this time in 09, we did something about it and we can look at ourselves in the mirror a lot easier then we could before.

They united us. And they created this momentum, the forum was created because of the 09 strike.
And as Humphries said after the Galway match..

Páirc Uí Chaoimh is a dark, crumbling metaphor for the state of the county's GAA structures. Now that matters are simplified and people can see that the war which was apparently between Gerald McCarthy and the players was really a protective smokescreen of the county board's design, the real work of rebuilding Cork GAA from the ground up will have to begin....

Cork's hurlers, though it wasn't their intention, ended up sacrificing this season for the bigger picture. In time, if the county gets its act together and creates a structure and a future worthy of its past, people will thank the current generation of players for what they have done off the field as much as on it.

They could be the ones who bring about change in the CCB. Recession is the perfect time for change. They brought us together but it's up to us to take the final step. One they can't take for us.

I hope beyond anything that changes are made. But I wont hold my breath. The CCB have the rule book on their side and they'll look for every tiny loop hole they can find. We haven't done anything. It's about time we did.

It's an excellent report. We have the power. Its up to us to make sure that our clubs vote for these proposals come Convention time.

Reillers

Ya, seeing as my rant isn't that clear. Just read this.

It's Donal O Grady's article about the report.

Report offers a chance to adapt

Saturday, July 25, 2009

THE first thing that struck me about the Cork GAA club report issued during the week was the layout: the points were set out plainly and simply, in clear understandable language, in a format that could be read quickly, with no ambiguity.

Many consultants are engaged by governments and organisations at huge expense to report on various aspects of governance and leadership but too often the end result are produced in such a way that discourages reading.

The Cork County Board have received an excellent report free of charge without even commissioning it, and while it may be unpalatable reading – and whether they agree with some or none of it – the report should form the basis for an in-depth look at board activity, as it was created by dyed-in-the-wool GAA people.

Full discussions on the main areas looked at by the group should commence as soon as possible. Though critical of the board, it is constructive.

Jerry O'Sullivan, the board's chairman has stated that "they will look at it" but it should really be studied and become compulsory reading for all the executive and board delegates.

It deals with democracy in its first section. Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of western civilisation, responded that it was a "nice thought". Some GAA folk in Cork might make a similar response if asked about democracy and the Cork County Board.

All power is concentrated in the executive, led by the secretary, and it's seen by many as an entity in itself, following its own agenda rather than serving the needs of the clubs.

It's obvious that no agendas or minutes are circularised to the clubs of full board meetings or subcommittee meetings. In this age of technology, with a full time secretariat, this could be implemented immediately.

Many of the proposals regarding change in the area of democracy need a change of by-law. The voting at convention, according to the report, seems to be at odds with general rule and this needs clarification immediately from Croke Park.

Quoting the document, the proposals made are "designed to aid democracy, efficiency, transparency and unity" and if this report helps to promote real inclusiveness and participation in the organisation at county level surely this can only improve matters.

Communication is the second section in this report. GAA President Christy Cooney has initiated an "Ag Éisteacht" (listening) programme where he and director-general Pauric Duffy will travel the country listening to the grassroots followers and members of ordinary GAA clubs.

There will be no need to travel to Cork as this document will fully inform them of what is happening.

The county board has already acknowledged it needs to improve communication and putting this report on its website as a discussion document would be a brave start. Diarmaid Gowen, the IT officer of the board, is currently working on setting up an e-mail system for clubs and divisions. Whether this is in response to the club forum earlier in the year or a new initiative doesn't matter. What's important is that its being done.

The Games Development section is interesting and promotes a simple formula for success I totally agree with.

Study the structures and development plans that have operated or are now in vogue in Kilkenny and Tyrone and implement them in a coordinated structured manner in Cork.

Simply put, adopt current best practice and build on this further by appointing many coaches to schools and clubs. Primary schools should be prioritised because all youngsters attend and if they are coached properly here, many will bring their skills to a club and secondary school in time.

As recession bites hard this will cost money and it will be a major challenge to the board who, rightly or wrongly, wouldn't be seen as big spenders in the coaching area.

The report states that Cork County Board "must be seen as an organisation that works for clubs and is progressive". The success or failure of this report will be the response of the board executive and their proposals to remove by-laws to facilitate change.

A lot can be learned from nature. Species that adapt to change survive. Others become extinct. Changing culture in any organisation is the greatest challenge. Change is a threat to any organisation set in its ways.

But it always comes from within. Younger personnel bring new ideas which normally drive the change.

Recession is a good time for change. This report is a timely opportunity that shouldn't be wasted, as it may not come again.

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Saturday, July 25, 2009

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/snqlcwojkf/rss2/#ixzz0MkWPQ1B3