Dundrum/Ballykinlar Amalgamation

Started by St Johns Abu, February 28, 2012, 05:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St Johns Abu

Is it true that Dundrum and Ballykinlar are amalgamating???? Putting all the rotten eggs in one basket if you ask me.

EagleLord

Perminantly? Really? First I've heard of that tbh! Don't know what it will acheive tbh, if you rub two peices of shite together, you'll still be left with a peice of shite like.. ;D Im only jokin I'm only jokin! I know a few people from both clubs and they are a credit to their clubs. But on a serious note.. is this becasue of mass emigration or??

DownFanatic

Yes, it is true. Both clubs amalgamated on Sunday night at specially convened meeting. Amalgamated team is going to be called Ballydrum GAC and will be affiliated to Croke Park this week.

The new Senior team trained tonight and there was over 60 boys at it. There is talk of a Senior, Premier Reserve and Thirds team. Emigration forced both clubs into this situation and many more may follow suit.

dundrumite

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 28, 2012, 09:20:04 PM
Yes, it is true. Both clubs amalgamated on Sunday night at specially convened meeting. Amalgamated team is going to be called Ballydrum GAC and will be affiliated to Croke Park this week.

The new Senior team trained tonight and there was over 60 boys at it. There is talk of a Senior, Premier Reserve and Thirds team. Emigration forced both clubs into this situation and many more may follow suit.

I thought after the whole "travel more in hope than expectation" those days behind you DF  ;) No it's not happening. Good way to make your debut St Johns abu

DownFanatic

Quote from: dundrumite on February 28, 2012, 09:38:18 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on February 28, 2012, 09:20:04 PM

I thought after the whole "travel more in hope than expectation" those days behind you DF  ;) No it's not happening. Good way to make your debut St Johns abu

In the words of the great Ray Morgan: 'If you are going to tell them anything, then tell them shite!'

Lecale2

Ballydrum GAC?? You're having a laugh!

Leo

If such an amalgamtion goes ahead - and it makes perfect sense - I hope they don't concoct stupid amalgam names like Ballydrum or attach the name of some saint which means little to other teams and supporters and could be said to reinforce a sectarian approach. I see nothing wrong with double barrelled names like Donaghmore-Ashbourne (Meath) or Abbey-Duniry (Galway) which instead reinforce combined local identitioes.
Fierce tame altogether

passedit

Quote from: Leo on February 29, 2012, 07:54:01 AM
If such an amalgamtion goes ahead - and it makes perfect sense - I hope they don't concoct stupid amalgam names like Ballydrum or attach the name of some saint which means little to other teams and supporters and could be said to reinforce a sectarian approach. I see nothing wrong with double barrelled names like Donaghmore-Ashbourne (Meath) or Abbey-Duniry (Galway) which instead reinforce combined local identities.

Would the TBA in the the fixtures list be this hybrid? I.e deleting Ballykinlar and dundrum fixtures wouldn't disrupt the overall plan. I'm presuming the proposal was floated but rejected? I can see the logic as they're from the same parish and play as one team at underage but surely if they have enough players to field a team each that should be enough to keep the separate identities irrespective of their current strength. Dundrum on their own would be strong promotion candidates no?
Don't Panic

johnneycool

will they keep both pitches up and running?

dundrumite

TBC is in relation to killyleagh I think. 2012 both clubs separate fielding senior teams.

Leo

Quote from: johnneycool on February 29, 2012, 11:31:05 AM

It would be wise to keep them both - say senior games at one venue, underage at another. Whatever way it would be arranged it would give an amalgamated club good scope of facilities and keep the association alive in both communities.
Plus the Kinlar pitch surface has long been a big asset.
Fierce tame altogether

DownFanatic

Lads, a few of you have lost the run of yoursleves here. Dundrum and Ballykinlar are not amalgamating into one club. Some of the above comments were tongue in cheek sarcasm.

The TBC in the Division 4 fixtures is Killyleagh who still don't know yet whether or not they will have a Senior team.

dundrumite

Quote from: Leo on February 29, 2012, 01:05:31 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 29, 2012, 11:31:05 AM

It would be wise to keep them both - say senior games at one venue, underage at another. Whatever way it would be arranged it would give an amalgamated club good scope of facilities and keep the association alive in both communities.
Plus the Kinlar pitch surface has long been a big asset.

Was my previous post in Dutch? :o

St Johns Abu

Even though sarcasm seems to be the order of the day with DownFanatic, it has to be said that amalgamation should be at least considered? Ballykinlar have been in Div 4 for a long time and lets face it, Dundrum aren't going anywhere soon...

I hear mc comiskey is back with Down and there doesn't seem to be much coming through the ranks which may suggest the underage structure in Dundrum is currently abismal. The facilities in Ballykinlar are also supreme in comparison to that of Dundrum.

Views?

GAA_Talk

Quote from: St Johns Abu on February 29, 2012, 05:41:40 PM
Even though sarcasm seems to be the order of the day with DownFanatic, it has to be said that amalgamation should be at least considered? Ballykinlar have been in Div 4 for a long time and lets face it, Dundrum aren't going anywhere soon...

I hear mc comiskey is back with Down and there doesn't seem to be much coming through the ranks which may suggest the underage structure in Dundrum is currently abismal. The facilities in Ballykinlar are also supreme in comparison to that of Dundrum.

Views?

Twist much??  ;)