A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Tony clearly on the wind up his arguments are incoherent and inconsistent not to mention contradictory.

general_lee

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 20, 2016, 09:00:10 AM
Tony clearly on the wind up his arguments are incoherent and inconsistent not to mention contradictory.
Clearly. I like his posts because (whether through fault or design) they encourage debate but there are massive holes in his arguments.

NI since it's creation has been nothing more than an abject failure. Being on the periphery of the state it is little more than an after thought in Westminster. Creating Our Wee Culture will change nothing economically. I know im generalising here but if Unionists, 300 odd years later, by some stroke of magic stopped resenting and repressing all things Irish, there'd be no need for creating a new culture 100 years later.

Rossfan

Does this proposed "NI culture"  simply entail the Nationalist/Irish/Catholic people dumping all the things that make them NIC while the Unionists/British/Protestants keep all the things that make them UBP?
Or is it a case of - you lot stop parading and we'll stop learning/ using Irish? And so on?
What if a Cavan woman marries a Fermanagh man and moves 2 miles to live in his home place? Will she have to formally become "Northern Irish".
If an Inishowen native moves to South Armagh......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

Oh dear.Yes the status quo has produced an idyllic life for all here.Lets examine the options.Further integration with the UK? No chance their main parties won't even stand here.United Ireland? No chance,so called Irish nationalists North and South dont want it.Third,concentrate on the things that unite people in the North making the constitutional element irrelevant and weave the best elements of both communties' cultures into a common Northern Irish culture? No brainer.

No wides

Quote from: T Fearon on January 20, 2016, 11:15:54 AM
Oh dear.Yes the status quo has produced an idyllic life for all here.Lets examine the options.Further integration with the UK? No chance their main parties won't even stand here.United Ireland? No chance,so called Irish nationalists North and South dont want it.Third,concentrate on the things that unite people in the North making the constitutional element irrelevant and weave the best elements of both communties' cultures into a common Northern Irish culture? No brainer.

All still funded by the British Government, yeah no brains more like.

Rossfan

weave the best elements of both communties' cultures into a common Northern Irish culture? No brainer.
Who would implement that?
Who will decide what are the best elements of both cultures?
Will there be a Culture Commission?
Will Tony be a Commissioner?
What will happen to those who don't adopt this new culture?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

LeoMc

Quote from: general_lee on January 19, 2016, 05:26:46 PM
http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/generation-emigration/living-in-england-has-given-me-new-confidence-in-my-irish-identity-1.2500911
For every Kylie Nobel there is a Tony Fearon.

In saying that I can see his argument.

"IF only themmuns would realise they are Irish like us. Britain doesnt want them!
"IF only themmuns would realise they live in the United Kingdom like us, Ireland cant afford them"

Somewhere in those 2 bubbles there has to be compromise!

Applesisapples

Quote from: Rossfan on January 20, 2016, 11:44:54 AM
weave the best elements of both communties' cultures into a common Northern Irish culture? No brainer.
Who would implement that?
Who will decide what are the best elements of both cultures?
Will there be a Culture Commission?
Will Tony be a Commissioner?
What will happen to those who don't adopt this new culture?
The glaring problem with all of this is the inability of Unionists to concede anything to Nationalists, hence you get situations like the Causeway Coast and Glens Council. It has always been like this and that isn't changing.

general_lee

Apples beat me to it. A unionist in that council area has now come out and said Dungiven is no-go area for Protestants. Whether that statement holds any validity is neither here nor there, the mask has slipped in that the planned development for a new leisure centre was blocked for motives other than "costs"

T Fearon

Yawn.The whole aim of my proposal is to attract the 50% of the electorate who dont vote to the ballot box thus reducing the influence of negative unionism and nationalism.

charlieTully

No wides

Quote from: T Fearon on January 20, 2016, 12:56:55 PM
Yawn.The whole aim of my proposal is to attract the 50% of the electorate who dont vote to the ballot box thus reducing the influence of negative unionism and nationalism.

All whilst still being funded by the British Government?

T Fearon

Who else is going to fund it? Irish government  can't afford it.Who knows in time we might become self sustainable. I don't see any other option given there is no chance of a United Ireland.

No wides

Quote from: T Fearon on January 20, 2016, 01:39:09 PM
Who else is going to fund it? Irish government  can't afford it.Who knows in time we might become self sustainable. I don't see any other option given there is no chance of a United Ireland.

If Norn Iron is going have it's own identity how does that work when the British government influence every facet of life in the occupied six with its funding policy?

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on January 20, 2016, 01:39:09 PM
why is there no chance of a UI? Unionism is a busted flush

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU