Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlieTully

Why pretend everything is perfect when it clearly isn't?

gallsman

Quote from: charlieTully on November 13, 2014, 10:16:23 AM

Who claimed it was perfect?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: charlieTully on November 13, 2014, 10:16:23 AM
I didn't read one post that indicated the situation is perfect. It is far better than it ever was. Maybe you want to go back to checkpoints, harassment, shoot to kill, collusion etc. As Brick says yiz aren't wise.

charlieTully

When the tricolour flies over city hall. That's when I will be happy and I make no apology for it.

Applesisapples

Quote from: charlieTully on November 13, 2014, 10:33:36 AM
When the tricolour flies over city hall. That's when I will be happy and I make no apology for it.
You are going to die sad then.

Rossfan

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 13, 2014, 10:47:29 AM
Quote from: charlieTully on November 13, 2014, 10:33:36 AM
You are going to die sad then.
Indeed - because when the United Ireland/All Ireland State comes there will be a new Flag. ;)
Meanwhile Charlie and Willie F.  can fly whatever flags they like from their own houses.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 13, 2014, 07:52:13 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 13, 2014, 12:07:55 AM
Quote from: gallsman on November 12, 2014, 11:06:11 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on November 12, 2014, 10:25:51 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 12, 2014, 10:04:23 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on November 12, 2014, 08:52:48 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 12, 2014, 08:47:36 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 12, 2014, 08:36:20 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 12, 2014, 08:18:11 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 12, 2014, 08:05:24 PM

Rule 21 should have been brought in for the 26 counties and phased in to the 6 counties as a mark of respect for the suffering caused to northern Gaels .

Daftness with a capital D. How exactly would it be "phased in" ???? County by County?
The ban was removed as a result of the new Political agreement ion the 6 Cos and because a new(ish) Police service was being introduced.
It was mainly so young Nationalists could join the new Service and remain members of the GAA.
Anyway it was the removal of a ban NOT making it compulsory for members of the RUC/British Army to become members of the GAA.

I agree with lynchboy on rule 21. Most in the 26 have no idea about the North's security forces situation. That's like me voting on a law involving Maoris.

And it wasn't a new police force. Different name, same scum.
Complete ballacks.
read Brian Fenny s colume in today's Irish News.
It's too late to buy it and unavailable online - care to summarise his main points?

£500 million patten pay off, £250 million compo for hearing loss for RUC men, £250 million udr/rir payoff,  £20 million ruc reserve, £100 million rehiring those who were retired through patten.  Yet they can't find £340,000 for the ombudsman s budget.

While shambolic, that's not really anything related to your "Differerent name, same scum" comment, is it?
Just as a matter of interest - what has changed? How are they different - apart from the name change?

All New top hierarchy ?
Sacked all old cops and hired completely new set?
New cop shops and abandoned all the old ones?
Etc....
Police numbers down from over 13,000 to just over 7,000.
Over 30% of that 7,000 is now made up people from a catholic/nationalist/republican background, compared to about 9% in RUC days.
New accountability mechanisms (PCSPs, Policing Board) consisting of elected representatives such as Gerry Kelly and other Shinners.
Huge number of 'cop shops' closed, nearly 40% according to this report: 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15971776
Police patrols no longer accompanied by the British Army.
No real change my arse.
to be fair myles- there is some change, about 30-40% from the stats you quoted

but its still less than a pass rate in the lowest of exams.
and while stats can hide things (either way) a lot of people in Derry city for example are up in arms over the way the city is being policed with people harassed and aggravated on a daily basis - as bad as yesteryear according to them

the top brass still call the shots and maybe the middle management are changing- that will take a long time to fully happen, the top boys will have to be promoted over to England etc or die/retire for the highest levels to finally be impartial and decent.

so while I understand your assentation's, and agree that progress is being made- there is still a long way to go and so far it is still not up to scratch! (though they are prob equally as inefficient as the gardai)

the flag will not change. it will be our Tricolour! (didn't I hear in a prev post that minorities didn't have a say over such matters- its the will of the entire 32 counties - but hypocrisy from this source wouldn't surprise me!!)

brokencrossbar1

http://stopwar.org.uk/news/good-for-the-killing-business-how-the-world-s-biggest-arms-dealers-exploit-remembrance-day#.VGSSLHhv7Io.facebook

THERE ARE few industries with as much to be ashamed of as the arms trade. It is a trade that for generations has profiteered from grotesque human rights abuses and deadly wars and conflicts.

Every year its weapons facilitate the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people, as it hands over extortionate profits and dividends to rich businessmen that appear to care little for the damage done by their wars.

As the nation marks Remembrance Day you might expect that if there is one industry that should be keeping a low profile it's the arms trade.

Unfortunately not. Despite its history of war profiteering it has only been too happy to exploit the legacy of those who have died in conflicts and to brazenly associate itself with the annual memorials.

One arms company that has a long and inglorious history of arming some of the world's most brutal dictatorships, Thales, has taken the opportunity to brand the entrance of Westminster underground station with a poppy covered billboard.

Lockheed Martin, the world's biggest arms company, is the main sponsor of the British Legion Young Professionals' Poppy Rocks event. Unfortunately this is far from the first time that the Legion has taken money from the arms trade.

The UK's biggest arms company, BAE Systems, has been a long-standing 'supporter'. In the past it has sponsored national poppy appeals and donated to fund-raising drives. It's influence is still there, but now it keep a lower profile. This year they will be sponsoring the annual Poppy Ball white tie dinner, and specific offices and arms factories will be hosting their own local events.

The Legion has been co-opted for the interests of the arms trade before. In 2012 a newspaper investigation forced the then president of the Legion, Lieutenant General Sir John Kiszely, to resign over allegations that former commanders were using their connections to lobby on behalf of arms companies.

Kiszely himself told an undercover reporter, who was pretending to work for a South Korean arms company, that the annual Remembrance Day ceremony was a 'tremendous networking opportunity' before boasting of the access it gave him to powerful people.

Arms companies and World War One

All of these companies would rather we ignored the role their industry has played in enabling war, both during World War One and in subsequent conflicts.

The Arming All Sides project exposes the hidden history of World War One. It tells of how a global network of arms companies fuelled war by selling a new generation of advanced weapons to anyone who would pay for them.

It was this drive for profits at all costs that led British arms companies, Armstrong and Vickers - which later merged to become BAE - to sell weapons to the Ottoman Empire that would soon be turned on British soldiers.

Moreover, as international tensions created new business opportunities, some arms companies purposely created war scares in order to increase the arms race. For example, Herbert Mulliner, director of Coventry Ordnance Works, persuaded the British government in 1909, with the support of the Daily Mail, that Germany was secretly accelerating its naval programme. The scare stimulated massive naval expenditure and created an atmosphere of mutual suspicion, making war more likely. Even Winston Churchill later accepted that the claims were entirely false.

World War One was shaped by weapons. It was the first global conflict since the industrial revolution, and the new generation of mechanised arms led to devastating casualties. Attempts had been made to ban Chemical Warfare as early as 1899, but the arms trade persevered, and gas killed 25,000 on the Western front alone.

It's for this reason that the tragedies of the time should never be forgotten, let alone airbrushed over by an arms trade that is trying to give the impression of legitimacy.

The arms trade and public spaces

It is not just Remembrance Day that arms companies seek to exploit, it's also other major civic events. Only last month Guildford Borough Council took the unusual step of suspending its own ethical sponsorship policy in order to allow it to take money from arms companies for Armed Forced Day in 2015. Likewise, this year drone company Selex ES was among the main sponsors of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

Arms companies have also been more than happy to associate themselves with some of the country's best known museums and attractions. The last few years alone have seen the Science Museum, London Transport Museum, National Gallery and Edinburgh Science Festival among those that have taken money from the arms trade.

Arms companies do not do this because they care about the war dead, or because they want to promote art and culture. They do it because it is good for their business. By agreeing to take money from arms companies these organisations are giving practical support and a veneer of credibility to an industry that profits from the same war and repression that they seek to commemorate.

Rossfan

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 13, 2014, 11:51:35 AM
the flag will not change. it will be our Tricolour! (didn't I hear in a prev post that minorities didn't have a say over such matters- its the will of the entire 32 counties - but hypocrisy from this source wouldn't surprise me!!)
The minority White South Africans used to say the same about their flag.
How is the will of the entire 32 Counties in a 32 County organisation "hypocrisy"?
You're posts are getting more amadánish by the day.
Yesterday it was suggesting that Rule 21 should have first been abolished in the 26 Cos. only to see how that would work  ::)
Just how many members of the British forces and police do you think lived in the 26 Cos at that time ?

foxcommander

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 13, 2014, 09:58:43 AM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 12, 2014, 08:19:05 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 12, 2014, 07:29:28 PM
I suspect a lot of GAA members were not  very happy with many of the actions of the Provos, many of which caused anguish to a lot of members of the Nationalist Community in the North over the years so should they be banned from membership too I wonder?.
As for only allowing GAA members from the 6 Cos to vote on the Rule 21 abolition.... come on lads wise up. As pointed out the GAA is a 32 County organisation and ALL it's delegates have a right to vote at Congresses.
The less bans we have the better anyway in this day and age ( or indeed in any day or age)
Positivity is the way to go and come out from behind the barricades of negativity.

As for poppy wearing .. I will NEVER do such a thing.

Easy for a free stater to pontificate from that side of the border.

I take it these are the same GAA members who couldn't contain themselves with excitement for the Queens visit. God save her.
Partitionist nonsense.
Absolutely not. Saw it every day. As long as it didn't affect them they couldn't care less but were quick to judge northern nationalists.
Sickening to be honest how you could have that attitude towards your fellow Irishman.
Now the free staters squeal like piggies when the big bad Angela Merkel is fking them over but still haven't the guts to stand up for themselves.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

AZOffaly

Quote from: foxcommander on November 13, 2014, 12:00:02 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 13, 2014, 09:58:43 AM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 12, 2014, 08:19:05 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 12, 2014, 07:29:28 PM
I suspect a lot of GAA members were not  very happy with many of the actions of the Provos, many of which caused anguish to a lot of members of the Nationalist Community in the North over the years so should they be banned from membership too I wonder?.
As for only allowing GAA members from the 6 Cos to vote on the Rule 21 abolition.... come on lads wise up. As pointed out the GAA is a 32 County organisation and ALL it's delegates have a right to vote at Congresses.
The less bans we have the better anyway in this day and age ( or indeed in any day or age)
Positivity is the way to go and come out from behind the barricades of negativity.

As for poppy wearing .. I will NEVER do such a thing.

Easy for a free stater to pontificate from that side of the border.

I take it these are the same GAA members who couldn't contain themselves with excitement for the Queens visit. God save her.
Partitionist nonsense.
Absolutely not. Saw it every day. As long as it didn't affect them they couldn't care less but were quick to judge northern nationalists.
Sickening to be honest how you could have that attitude towards your fellow Irishman.
Now the free staters squeal like piggies when the big bad Angela Merkel is fking them over but still haven't the guts to stand up for themselves.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Rossfan on November 13, 2014, 11:57:32 AM
How is the will of the entire 32 Counties in a 32 County organisation "hypocrisy"?
Yesterday it was suggesting that Rule 21 should have first been abolished in the 26 Cos. only to see how that would work  ::)
Just how many members of the British forces and police do you think lived in the 26 Cos at that time ?
good girl!
you fell into the trap!
- who is the amadan!!

my point PRECISELY!
there were no british soldiers and ruc on active duty (officially) in the 26 counties- so how the hell could this have affected the people of the 26 counties.so how could the good people of the 26 counties vote with fully knowledgeable opinion on this!!
A position awaits you in fossets I expect!

plus you want the minority to dictate on the majority 26 county flag.
yet you reckon the minority shouldn't have the say on dictating rule 21!!

for what it's worth Im not against rule 21, but just how it was badly handled!

are we to keep the name calling going now?
I think you have illustrated you immense abilities! so I don't have to go any further!

:)

Rossfan

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 13, 2014, 12:35:13 PM
good girl!
you fell into the trap!
- who is the amadan!!

my point PRECISELY!
there were no british soldiers and ruc on active duty (officially) in the 26 counties- so how the hell could this have affected the people of the 26 counties.so how could the good people of the 26 counties vote with fully knowledgeable opinion on this!!

I think you have illustrated you immense abilities! so I don't have to go any further!

I'm so totally confused by your latest piesheen that I need to lie down for a while.
You keep taking the tablets and give some of them to Foxcommander too. He's suffering from a terrible dose of Partitionism.

deiseach

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 13, 2014, 12:35:13 PM
good girl!
you fell into the trap!
- who is the amadan!!

my point PRECISELY!

To quote Applesisapples, partitionist nonsense.

brokencrossbar1

No wonder this country is fucked,  if we're not fighting the brits we're fighting each other!!!  The Fighting Irish....ye can't beat it!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE