The Darragh O'Se column - Irish Times

Started by Mayo4Sam, July 16, 2014, 05:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Probably the best written piece in print at the minute, always spot on.
This week its the Armagh - Tyrone melee

The authorities must condemn them. Managers can't condone them. The media has to tut-tut away and decide that they're the worst thing to happen since the last worst thing. But really and truly, if everybody's honest about it, a melee on a football pitch isn't that big a deal. In fact, most people enjoy one every now and then.

Okay, they don't look great but they're almost never that serious and it's very rare that anyone gets hurt. They happen so quickly and they're over within a few seconds so there's no time to do any damage. Or have any damage done to you, for that matter. So it's pointless making out that anyone's ever in big physical danger.

The point of a melee is never to go and hurt someone. It's much more about mindset and purpose and getting the upper hand mentally. It's about making a stand, sending out a message. We're not going to be bullied here today.

It isn't all aimed at the opposition either. A bit of a melee early on gets your own players pumped. It gets the blood flowing. It tells fellas that this is a day for everybody to get involved. We'll all play football in a while but this is what we're doing now. Join in and don't be slow about it.

The breakdown of a melee is always worth looking out for. You see a lot of the same characters playing a lot of the same roles. Any melee usually starts with two fellas wrestling on the ground. One has the other in a headlock and down they go. No punch is thrown yet because the two boys are isolated. Throw a punch at that point and the linesman might decide to make a name for himself. You don't want that.

The next bit is all about who joins in. Fellas come from miles around. Some of them are nearly out of breath by the time they get there. The odd lad will be thinking of giving it a miss but once his marker heads off in that direction, he know he'll be in trouble later on with his own team-mates if he doesn't go as well. He's often the fella seen sprinting in, not because he's out for blood but because he was slow off the mark in the first place.

For others, it will be time for a surgical strike. Very few melees come without a bit of history attached. It could go back years but, like the saying goes, you know not the day nor the hour. All of a sudden when a row starts, a couple of fellas will be craning their necks to see where certain members of the opposition are.

Good distance
If you watch the Armagh-Tyrone row from Sunday, Ciarán McKeever lined up Seán Cavanagh from a good distance away. Most lads were pushing and pulling out of whoever was nearest to them and moving on to different fellas over the course of the few seconds it lasted. McKeever saw Cavanagh pulling two Armagh jerseys off the pile and came straight for him and only him.

Watch it to the end – it takes a few lads from either side to make him let go of Cavanagh's shirt. That wouldn't be Seán Cavanagh's scene at all. He's the talisman, he doesn't need the hassle of getting caught up in that kind of thing early in a game. McKeever knew he'd get full value out of the skirmish because in that sort of scenario you're hiding in plain sight.

Then you'll have the peacemakers. There are two kinds of peacemakers. The first is the lad who genuinely thinks this is all a waste of time and just wants to get on with the game. He'll be rolling his eyes and pulling his men away and trying to send everyone back to their corners.

The other kind of peacemaker is the one who's trying to lick up to the referee. He's probably spent the game leaving in a few late tackles, crying for frees every couple of minutes, living on the edge. But he sees this as his chance to show the ref what a good, solid citizen he is. "Ah come now lads, enough's enough. Let's play football lads, let's play football." All shouted good and loud so the referee can hear him, so that the next tackle he puts in, the ref might think twice about booking him.

Quiet psychopath
The one fella you have to keep an eye out for is the quiet psychopath. Some fellas will be shaping, some fellas will be getting involved just to be part of it or out of duty. Not this man. He's a serious operator and he's going to get value for money here. He won't throw a big punch and get himself sent off but when there's wrestling going on on the ground, he's the one with his arm pressed down on a fella's neck. It might only be for a few seconds but he'll go back to his position with his point made.

The International Rules games were notorious for melees. You always knew going into them that somewhere along the way, this was going to erupt. The year they went after Graham Geraghty, I remember Paul Galvin saying to me afterwards that he was certain something was going to happen even as we were just walking in the parade.

Bad manners
The Aussies were roaring over at Geraghty and he was giving plenty of bad manners back. Meanwhile Paul was walking behind him going: "Christ, this fella's going to get us killed!"

Now Paul would be well fit for it and well-conditioned but it's one thing getting into a scrap that breaks out spontaneously. It's another walking around in the parade knowing that it was Queensbury Rules stuff that was on the cards.

One year I ended up marking Barry Hall for a while. We were playing down in front of Stephen Cluxton and big Barry ran into Cluxton at one stage and the two boys had words. Nothing to do with me – or so I thought. But Cluxton wouldn't shut up. He kept at him, kept mouthing away.

Now, if I was out the middle of the field away from all this, I'd have been thinking: 'Good man Clucko, give him yards of it". But I was standing beside all 6ft 5in of Barry Hall who I remembered reading somewhere was a trained boxer.

I looked at Barry and could see that his nose had been through a boxer's life. Not good. I turned to Cluxton and told him very politely to pipe down. I don't mind taking a hiding but at least let it be for something I've done myself!

In the end, a bit of intimidation is far more of a mental thing than a physical thing. Most teams are the physical match of each other, most of them are conditioned to be able to take and give hits.

But on a certain level, it's about cranking up the intensity to the point where you throw the other side off their game. This is your plan, not their plan. And as soon as you start a melee, the other side can't just walk away from it. They have to front up to it. Just like that, the game is being played on your terms.

That stuff on Sunday suited Armagh down to the ground. Once upon a time, it would have been like poking a bear trying that against Tyrone but not these days. Conor Gormley wasn't on the pitch at the start of the game, Joe McMahon wasn't around either. This was Armagh's chance to set the tone and bully a team with a load of young lads on it.

They took it and it worked a treat. It won't work every day but it was perfect for this game. We can wag our fingers all we want but that's the reality of it.

Be bullied
Of course, it's all very macho. But it doesn't always work out the way you plan it. I remember an International Rules game in Croke Park where we talked in the dressing room about the old Willie John McBride 99 call. It was half-time and things were getting a bit tasty and Kieran McGeeney said: "Look, we're not going to be bullied by these fellas." If it was going to start, it was going to be one-in, all-in.

Lo and behold, Brendan Jer O'Sullivan from Cork found himself being set upon by two Aussies underneath the Cusack Stand in the second half. But none of us saw it, we were all following the play. Poor Brendan Jer was giving as good as he was getting against these two lads and in his head he was counting the seconds until the all-in part of the plan kicked into action.

And he waited. And he waited. No posse. No 99 call. He came into the dressing room afterwards going – "so much for the cavalry, lads". And most of us looked at him with blank faces. Half of us didn't know anything had even happened.

Armagh weren't leaving that to chance on Sunday, just as they didn't leave it to chance against Cavan. The idea wasn't to take anybody out, it was more about drawing a line in the sand and setting a tone for the day. We're here, we're mad for action and ye lads better start asking yourselves how much of this ye can take. Cavan didn't want a whole pile to do with it, Tyrone didn't either.

It's obviously rehearsed. There has obviously been a discussion about it beforehand. Maybe we're supposed to believe it's a coincidence that in four Armagh games so far this summer, two have started with an all-in melee. If you believe that . . .

Both times
But I don't think it's anything to be overly ashamed of either. It worked both times. They beat Cavan, they beat Tyrone. Their supporters – who haven't been all that gone on the Armagh team for the past few years – got behind them because, rightly or wrongly, a good row at the start of a game makes people believe these players are prepared to go to war. Even if it's only pulling and dragging, it looks like fellas putting their bodies on the line and it gets people riled up.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Oraisteach

Ah Shiite, there goes our stealth plan exposed!  Can't use it now against the Rossies. What'll we do?  Hope we don't have to resort to underhand tactics like playing football.

Syferus

Quote from: Oraisteach on July 16, 2014, 06:54:58 PM
Ah Shiite, there goes our stealth plan exposed!  Can't use it now against the Rossies. What'll we do?  Hope we don't have to resort to underhand tactics like playing football.

We'll never expect that one.

LCohen

Bloody hell that is going to kick things off in Armagh. Paddy Heaney said Armagh started the whole Cavan thing and he got slated by Armagh and they headed off for a huff. Despite all the inquiries and pouring over of the tv coverage Darragh is still saying they started it - unless you believe in coincidence AND he has call called out McKeever for doing Cavanagh. Thats O'Se dead as far as the Orchard county is concerned. What will happen now? He is already covered of by the media ban. Graduated responses are all the rage in the land of Orange so this calls for something extra. Boycot butter? Burn the books of Peig Sayers?

God14

The best columnist about bar none, is Darragh. He has hit the nail on the head again. Great read.

muppet

Quote from: LCohen on July 16, 2014, 08:06:08 PM
Bloody hell that is going to kick things off in Armagh. Paddy Heaney said Armagh started the whole Cavan thing and he got slated by Armagh and they headed off for a huff. Despite all the inquiries and pouring over of the tv coverage Darragh is still saying they started it - unless you believe in coincidence AND he has call called out McKeever for doing Cavanagh. Thats O'Se dead as far as the Orchard county is concerned. What will happen now? He is already covered of by the media ban. Graduated responses are all the rage in the land of Orange so this calls for something extra. Boycot butter? Burn the books of Peig Sayers?

Obviously Armagh will boycott uimhir a Sé.

As an aside:

"the whole Cavan"
"for doing Cavanagh"

I see a link between the events.

MWWSI 2017

Shamrock Shore

Has the "howl me back, howl me back" lad disappeared from the scene?

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

yellowcard

Daragh O Se is one of the few pundits/journalists who talks a lot of sense but I doubt very much if he was at either of the 2 Armagh matches that he claims had 'pre-meditated brawls'. It is merely guesswork on his behalf and anybody that was either game would be hard pressed to say either were pre-meditated or planned. There may well be a one in all in policy or back up your team mate if he is being set upon but to claim pre meditation if you were at either match is frankly ridiculous.

Throw ball

Quote from: yellowcard on July 16, 2014, 10:19:52 PM
Daragh O Se is one of the few pundits/journalists who talks a lot of sense but I doubt very much if he was at either of the 2 Armagh matches that he claims had 'pre-meditated brawls'. It is merely guesswork on his behalf and anybody that was either game would be hard pressed to say either were pre-meditated or planned. There may well be a one in all in policy or back up your team mate if he is being set upon but to claim pre meditation if you were at either match is frankly ridiculous.

I feel the problem with the media ban is that people believe what those that are talking say and assume realities. Most of the article has a sound basis but the insinuation that Armagh premeditated both is wrong. The Cavan brawl was started by Cavan - if Armagh started it why were Armagh players tying laces or looking the wrong way when it started. Bar McKeever nothing happened with either side in the Tyrone gathering. My worry with the media ban is that Roscommon, or Meath if Armagh get that far, could start a melee and Armagh will again get the thick end of the punishment.

Although the media ban cannot really be lifted at this time I find the reporting skewed against Armagh because of it. I even noticed Heaney stating that Murray would not let go of McCurry's hand when they shook hands on Sunday. How does he know it was not the other way around? I don't know either way. Minor things can build and I hope the media ban is lifted ASAP.

Syferus

Quote from: Throw ball on July 16, 2014, 10:31:47 PM

I feel the problem with the media ban is that people believe what those that are talking say and assume realities. Most of the article has a sound basis but the insinuation that Armagh premeditated both is wrong. The Cavan brawl was started by Cavan - if Armagh started it why were Armagh players tying laces or looking the wrong way when it started. Bar McKeever nothing happened with either side in the Tyrone gathering. My worry with the media ban is that Roscommon, or Meath if Armagh get that far, could start a melee and Armagh will again get the thick end of the punishment.

Although the media ban cannot really be lifted at this time I find the reporting skewed against Armagh because of it. I even noticed Heaney stating that Murray would not let go of McCurry's hand when they shook hands on Sunday. How does he know it was not the other way around? I don't know either way. Minor things can build and I hope the media ban is lifted ASAP.

Good idea.

Fear ón Srath Bán

I even noticed Heaney stating that Murray would not let go of McCurry's hand when they shook hands on Sunday. How does he know it was not the other way around?

Come on, maybe because Mc Curry's hand recoiled with speed where Murray's didn't when the grip was released!

If Mc Keever did off the pitch what he did on it on Sunday, he could be looking at a custodial sentence very soon -- it was sneaky, and very dangerous, to charge at anyone with an elbow raised to neck/head height on their blind side. And it was more by chance than design that Cavanagh wasn't badly injured.*

It would have been a travesty had Armagh not won that game, and won well, such was their superiority all over the park. We've regressed badly, no doubt about it, but that's another story. Good luck to Armagh for the remainder, but they really need to lose this 'aggro' aspect that has been introduced, whether by design or accident.

* And I won't keep going on, and on, and on, about it, for 11 years, or more. ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

yellowcard

The comments from Heaney after the Cavan match about Armagh targeting Dunne and now the snide comments about Grimley resigning after the championship campaign are not mere co incidence. They are designed to draw a reaction from Armagh perhaps in the hope that they will re-engage with the media. I don't think there is any chance of that happening this year though. Personally I'm not in favour of it but it's all designed to create a siege mentality and to bring a common bond and purpose to the squad. If it works then I'm prepared to go along with it. I do think it can give pundits and journalist a license to say and write whatever they want though and this can often influence referees and governing bodies. The same thing applied to Tyrone last year with Mickey Hartes decision to boycott RTE. The longer Armagh stay in the championship and the media ban remains the more the problem will escalate (mightn't matter much after Saturday anyway).

Maguire01

What seems quite clear is that these hard lads from Armagh weren't brave enough to start a bit of a melee with Monaghan.  :P

5 Sams

Tomás making a name for himself in the Indo as well. The lads have a great insight. No bullshit just the truth.

http://kerrygaa.proboards.com/thread/5489/tomas-ose-thread
The Aristocrat Years