Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone08

Quote from: bigtogs on August 06, 2018, 01:14:26 PM
Lee Brennan and Mark Bradley played v Monaghan first round of ulster they were poor enough K McGeary played last 25 will also poor enough..... i think v DUBLIN we stumbled across something with 5 minutes to go when we where 7 behind out off pure necessity off giving it a lash.... but who cares how we got it as long as it happens.... yesterday for 45 minutes it was same old crap....then we go 4/5 behind game going away from us then bang we unleashed the hounds again same result dominate the game from then on...

Lee Brennan and Mark Bradley played well against monaghan. Tyrone were a few points in front  when they were on the field. Think none of them last more than 30 minutes due to injury.  Then colm was taken off at half time.

This will be a tight game but I reckon Tyrone may just edge it. If not I will be cheering for monaghan in the final. Truth be told I can't see Dublin losing this year regardless if it's Tyrone or monaghan

Scoring Zone

Thought Tyrone where in control for most of the game, but when a few easy frees went wide and Morgans brain fart on the kickout - the momentum completely swung to Donegal and didn't change really until MacNiallais went off and the Murphy misses and then Tyrone ran them out the gate. The only concerns are the free kicks that lose us momentum, McNamee - very easily turned when one on one, McShane, his athleticism covers for alot of headless frustrating play and would rather McClure in there. Peter Harte, McGeary, Cavanagh and hampsey where unbelievable fantastic to watch that effort and character away from home. Tyrone by 4+

Thebigdog

Quote from: sam03/05 on August 06, 2018, 08:13:19 AM
No doubt the Harte bashers on here, who have called for Mickey to go and called for his head constantly.
These mouths will be the first in line looking for tickets for the Final (if we get there).
They will be the first down to Dublin for the final, the first game they  have attended in years.
Or maybe because they are so opposed to him and his style, tactics and play, then they will stay away - doubt it though.
Love Tyrone hate Harte. IL never give him credit. That ok princess?

omagh_gael

You'd have to wonder how someone could be so far gone as to hate a football manager. What has he done to you that has caused such a vitriolic feeling towards him?

southtyronegael

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 06, 2018, 11:04:40 PM
You'd have to wonder how someone could be so far gone as to hate a football manager. What has he done to you that has caused such a vitriolic feeling towards him?
not so sure its harte the football manager people hate. prob more harte the man.

omagh_gael

Quote from: southtyronegael on August 06, 2018, 11:19:46 PM
not so sure its harte the football manager people hate. prob more harte the man.

That's fecking worse. What has Harte done to you lads that would lead you to hate the man? Holy sweet feck you need to get out a bit more.

Baile an tuaigh

Not from Tyrone so I'm from the outside looking in. Not from the inside looking out. So probably have a different perspective. I suppose my interest in Tyrone started more in earnest that fateful day in June 1997 when Paul McGirr died after an accidental clash in the Ulster minor championship. Surprisingly not a lot said of his death at that time  But I started to follow them closely for the rest of the championship unfortunately they lost the final. That following year they finally went the whole way. I celebrated like it was my own County won.

Paul was not only coached by Mickey he was from the same club playing along side his son. After the 97 loss it was a young Stephen O Neill who convinced him to stay on. Who would believe the career that man was going to have.

After that, that was it I started to learn about players their clubs what they worked at schools they attended their training routines ect I also took a keen interest in Mickey Harte himself. I enjoyed listening to his philosophies of the sport his approach and how serious he really took it. The great lengths he went to making sure all angles were covered. I believe he was way a head of his time in this respect.

Then there is the other side of Harte I liked. He was  a non drinker and didn't smoke and was very family orientated. I'm the same way.

I hurled with boys from Waterford who told me they enjoyed watching Tyrone play.

I sat down Sunday past to watch the telecast of the big game in Ballybofey.  An unlikely Harte supporter and good friend was there with me. A 98 year old IRA Limerick man who was jailed by freestaters stuck in the Curragh between 1940 to 1944.  He watched his first all Ireland in the 30s. He told me he was a huge fan of Harte. Talked a lot about Michela and kept looking for tv shots of Mickey to see if he looked ok. He really took it bad what happened to Michela. 

Only met Mickey once in my life and it was a enjoyable experience. Was with a couple of friends who were characters and the craic was good. God knows the man has faults like the rest of us I just don't see to many in him.

RedHand88

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 07, 2018, 12:22:36 AM
Quote from: southtyronegael on August 06, 2018, 11:19:46 PM

That's fecking worse. What has Harte done to you lads that would lead you to hate the man? Holy sweet feck you need to get out a bit more.

Overlooked him when doing call ups. It's the only explanation.

chieftain

[/quote]

Overlooked him when doing call ups. It's the only explanation.
[/quote]

Naw nothing to do with call ups. Think his grievance more comes down to the fact that his namesake and fellow clubmann lost the Tyrone job in 2002 along with big art and now his hatred of mickey harte has spiralled out of control.

PMG1

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on August 07, 2018, 03:09:22 AM
Not from Tyrone so I'm from the outside looking in. Not from the inside looking out. So probably have a different perspective. I suppose my interest in Tyrone started more in earnest that fateful day in June 1997 when Paul McGirr died after an accidental clash in the Ulster minor championship. Surprisingly not a lot said of his death at that time  But I started to follow them closely for the rest of the championship unfortunately they lost the final. That following year they finally went the whole way. I celebrated like it was my own County won.

Paul was not only coached by Mickey he was from the same club playing along side his son. After the 97 loss it was a young Stephen O Neill who convinced him to stay on. Who would believe the career that man was going to have.

After that, that was it I started to learn about players their clubs what they worked at schools they attended their training routines ect I also took a keen interest in Mickey Harte himself. I enjoyed listening to his philosophies of the sport his approach and how serious he really took it. The great lengths he went to making sure all angles were covered. I believe he was way a head of his time in this respect.

Then there is the other side of Harte I liked. He was  a non drinker and didn't smoke and was very family orientated. I'm the same way.

I hurled with boys from Waterford who told me they enjoyed watching Tyrone play.

I sat down Sunday past to watch the telecast of the big game in Ballybofey.  An unlikely Harte supporter and good friend was there with me. A 98 year old IRA Limerick man who was jailed by freestaters stuck in the Curragh between 1940 to 1944.  He watched his first all Ireland in the 30s. He told me he was a huge fan of Harte. Talked a lot about Michela and kept looking for tv shots of Mickey to see if he looked ok. He really took it bad what happened to Michela. 

Only met Mickey once in my life and it was a enjoyable experience. Was with a couple of friends who were characters and the craic was good. God knows the man has faults like the rest of us I just don't see to many in him.

FYI Paul wasn't from the same club as Micky, his brother was but Paul played for Dromore and would have been on the same underage teams as Ricey and Colm McCullagh although he was a couple of years younger. His memory is kept alive by the Dromore club with what is one of the best underage tournaments in the GAA and via the 'Spirit of Paul McGirr Trust' which is a wonderful charity doing some superb work for disabled and under privileged children in Lusaka, Zambia. There is a group of 15 girls all aged 17/18 from the Loreto Convent in Omagh going out to Lusaka in October to build a new classroom at the complex the charity built out there.

WT4E

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on August 07, 2018, 03:09:22 AM

Great post - I have been a critic of Harte in the past (hopefully objectively) but I can't argue with any of the above.

If Mickey can deliver this all ireland I hope everyone can just forget everything i've said :D in the past because it would be his greatest achievement. Looks like he's enjoying the role from the scenes in Ballybofey! More power -keep her lit Beard!

randomusername

If people don't like Mickey Harte, they're entitled to their opinion and there's plenty of Tyrone fans who feel he's stayed on too long.

But what really bothers me is the utterly toxic nonsense posted at the beginning of the season by a certain poster about Tyrone footballers. According to him, three players, whom I won't bother naming, had all jumped ship, and each and every post on that theme turned out to be unfabricated nonsense. At least treat the players with a bit of common decency.

Therealdonald

Quote from: randomusername on August 07, 2018, 08:47:18 PM
If people don't like Mickey Harte, they're entitled to their opinion and there's plenty of Tyrone fans who feel he's stayed on too long.

But what really bothers me is the utterly toxic nonsense posted at the beginning of the season by a certain poster about Tyrone footballers. According to him, three players, whom I won't bother naming, had all jumped ship, and each and every post on that theme turned out to be unfabricated nonsense. At least treat the players with a bit of common decency.

If STG has a dislike of Harte its his prerogative is it not? If we were clubmen of men who in their eyes had been shafted then perhaps we'd feel the same way.

Harte certainly has opinions on things outside of GAA which could sour a person's opinion of him. But other than that, to see how he has dealt with a lot of unfortunate incidents down through the years is completely unprecedented in the GAA. Paul McGirr , Cormac and then his own daughter. I'm no big fan of religion, but to go through all them ordeals and to still have a strong unwavering faith is something else.

Maybe Monaghan beat us and Harte resigns, who knows but it will never be taken from him that he led us to 3 All-irelands in 6 years.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: southtyronegael on August 06, 2018, 09:20:55 AM
lads lets be honest about it. harte has stumbled through this championship. the players deserve all the credit and in reality its the great work done by peter donnelly that has us in the semi. we still dont have a single trophy so show for our efforts this year but at least we are in with a chance of the big one. i have every faith that we have the players to do it. thought we were bang average yesterday though until mickeys favourite player lee brennan came on and totally changed the game. also special mention to colly cavanagh, amazing performance.

I used to think you were a wind up but it's become obvious who you are and this crap deserves challenged. On the one hand you want to heap absolute criticism on Mickey harte for any defeats or things that go wrong. And then when things go right you say it's down to the players and peter Donnelly. Surely any man with a bit of sense can realise how stupid this is.

Eugene McKenna was a fantastic player and a great servant to Tyrone. Perhaps things weren't handled 100 hundred per cent perfectly in autumn 2002 but given Tyrone won the all Ireland the next year no one can question harte's appointment.

Mickey harte has won and done so much for this county and deserves far more respect from many people than he gets. He has continued to deliver teams capable of competing at the very top year on year.

BennyHarp

Bringing personal grievances about Harte into a GAA forum and dressing it up as comments on his contribution to Tyrone GAA and ability as a football manager is just cowardly. Most people here want to discuss football matters but many's a debate has ended up in a few lads throwing personal abuse at  the manager. I blocked STG a few weeks ago but still see his posts on those who quote him. He's admitted that it's not about Harte the manager, it is about Harte the man - well I personally couldn't give a flying fcuk what anyone's personal views on people are. This is a football thread and not a bitching thread...Hartes decisions have been criticised here and rightly so by the more logical posters and debate on that is great. However some of the personal stuff just has no place on a county gaa forum and thankfully it's died down as Mickey once again has managed to silence alot of the critics.
That was never a square ball!!