Injuries/Insoles

Started by diegoforlan1, February 17, 2014, 12:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diegoforlan1

Have had hip/knee pain for while now. Slight running on pitch, would be sore following day in glutes/groin aswell. Been to few physios and said muscle are fine, no imbalances. Just gave me same exercises to do. Any1 had any joy with insoles? One of physios mentioned it that might help

TabClear

I had problems with my Achilles and started wearing insoles. Nothing fancy just foam heel pads that lift the back of the foot up a few millimetres. I was sceptical but the difference they made was unbelievable. If I play now without wearing them the leg flares up again.

diegoforlan1

Would u recommend made ones or just off the shelf?

neilthemac

Insoles may help, but you're better off to fix what is causing the pain

Most leg injuries come from poor mobilitity in the hips joints, under-activated glutes or poor flexibility.

Go see a decent strength and conditioning coach and they'd give you exercises to iron out these issues. Loads of stuff available on the net too

diegoforlan1

Been working on it! Core work, stetching etc! Leg muscles seem to be problem but no physio can seem pinpoint it! Month/two months work on strengthing and no further forward

AZOffaly

Just don't ask him to measure your arms!

imtommygunn

There are various schools of thought on this.

For the first time last week there I spoke to someone who had went to a podiatrist and told them there was nothing wrong with their feet. On the flip side I had this discussion with a podiatrist I went to who answered this by saying people only go to podiatrist's when they have something wrong with their feet.

First thing to visit would be your core and your flexibility. If you have imbalances correct them - however that's easier said than done. I know people who don't believe in them and say if you fix your muscles you'll be ok.

If a physio thinks you're ok flexibility wise I would say go to a podiatrist(I'm not convinced on generic insoles) and see what they say. If they provide a compelling argument then get them - a lot of people do have issues with their feet(me being one) and need them but not everyone.

ballinaman

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 18, 2014, 10:08:17 AM
There are various schools of thought on this.

For the first time last week there I spoke to someone who had went to a podiatrist and told them there was nothing wrong with their feet. On the flip side I had this discussion with a podiatrist I went to who answered this by saying people only go to podiatrist's when they have something wrong with their feet.

First thing to visit would be your core and your flexibility. If you have imbalances correct them - however that's easier said than done. I know people who don't believe in them and say if you fix your muscles you'll be ok.

If a physio thinks you're ok flexibility wise I would say go to a podiatrist(I'm not convinced on generic insoles) and see what they say. If they provide a compelling argument then get them - a lot of people do have issues with their feet(me being one) and need them but not everyone.
Agree with all this but specific insoles for boots can be quite good, zero arch support and heel cups in most if not all boots. Again, not necessary for all problems so it's not a one size fits all approach as no rehab should ever be.

blewuporstuffed

How much do podiatrist insoles usually cost?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

diegoforlan1

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 18, 2014, 01:20:19 PM
How much do podiatrist insoles usually cost?

Think there in around 200. That's for made ones. Off the shelf is a lot cheaper. 25/30

neilthemac

I'm afraid papering over the cracks with insoles is not going to sort out the root problem.

I've been through this process and I wasted money on physios for treatment, store bought insoles, and then onto podiatrists (who could only advise on their area of expertise) and expensive insoles.

Eventually a good physio who wanted to fix me and not keep taking money off me recommended a chiropractor and he spotted straight away the imbalance in my hips - one hip had far mor mobility than the other. After a few sessions he suggested getting a strength and conditioning coach who could give exercises to help that issue.

So on I went to a S&C coach and when he did a few simple mobility tests on me he spotted the issue straight away, without me telling him.
So he did up a program for me for 3/4 months, lot of foam rolling, stretching, mobility work, single leg exercises, plus loads of other great stuff. Went back and got another program etc etc

Injuries cleared up, much fitter, stronger, rarely get injured.
Take that advice as you want it, but if you're body isn't moving correctly it causes stress elsewhere. Like a dodgy part in an engine

diegoforlan1

Where u able to train inbetween doing the programmes? I am trying get it cleared up asap with season starting soon

neilthemac

Yeah.
Usually I'd have trained with the team no problem. Though it does take time to work on issues and sometimes what you need to loads of rest.

I did a lot of it over the off season.

nrico2006

Anybody ever had hamstring tendonitis?  Think I'm currently suffering with it.  Aching after games for a few days at the outside of my right leg just below the knee.  Any good recovery exercises?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'