The 2018 National Hurling Leagues Discussion Thread

Started by slippery dodger, January 23, 2018, 05:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Quote from: johnnycool on April 09, 2018, 02:05:31 PM
Barring Brick Walsh and Kevin Moran Waterford are a very young team. A load of those lads are early 20's with their best years ahead of them.

Call me old fashioned, but I'd like to see McGrath play another man inside the full forward line as it must be a killer for whoever he leaves up there on their own.
Tipp have their number over the last few years tactics wise and McGrath needs to go for the throat in attack even if they do concede a few more points down the other end.
Still think they'll get out of Munster and build from there.

I think Cork may struggle as I thought they rode their luck last year.

That's the trouble. I think Waterford's younger players are inclined to play, or want to play, in a different way than what McGrath tactically demands. They weren't necessarily lucky to get to the AI final last year, but they did catch a good break in the semi' with the Cork sending-off, and I don't think they could have achieved anymore than what they did given their set-up. I thought in the aftermath of the final, and still do, that they probably need a few more good players there to complement the number of good ones they already have, and that a more expansive game-plan would also be needed. They've had a very poor league and I suspect there's a lot of unrest in the camp. At the moment I'd actually put them 5th out of 5 in Munster.

Cork can be mercurial and streaky and I think they were keeping their powder dry a bit for the c'ship. I feel Meyler as manager is a step-down from Kingston though and they might find it harder to get on a roll this season, unlike last. Think it could be between them and suddenly-vulnerable Tipp' for the third spot behind Limerick and Clare.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: johnnycool on April 10, 2018, 09:42:56 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on April 09, 2018, 11:09:59 AM
Striking just how many lets say unconventional stickmen KK have at the minute.

Big Walter is the most obvious cack hander, but TJ Reid and Joey Holden look like natural left handers who are inclined to strike across the body, nothing untoward about that.
Walter is used to bullying his way through lads
cannot understand why referees don't blow a free against a player who runs straight into their opponent

johnnycool

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 10, 2018, 09:52:56 PM

Big Walter is the most obvious cack hander, but TJ Reid and Joey Holden look like natural left handers who are inclined to strike across the body, nothing untoward about that.
cannot understand why referees don't blow a free against a player who runs straight into their opponent

Because that's what keeping the game flowing and manly hurling is all about (c) Eddie Keher.

AZOffaly

I remember he laid out Fergal Moore, the Galway captain, back in a league quarter or semi final in Thurles a few years ago. Jaysus he's a big unit.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on April 11, 2018, 08:36:49 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 10, 2018, 09:52:56 PM

Because that's what keeping the game flowing and manly hurling is all about (c) Eddie Keher.

Just cause he's bigger should he be treated any different to a small forward or defender who try and bully their way past someone ?

If referee's were to blow everytime a bigger player knocks a smaller player down then we'd have the worst stop start game about!! As long as he's within the rules he should be treated the same as someone who's my size..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

The point, MR2, is he is using that strength to barrel past people illegally. Basically he's charging with the ball. A smaller man would be held up a lot easier and give away a free for over carrying. If Walter runs into you and bowls you over, that's a free out too.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 11, 2018, 11:14:13 AM
The point, MR2, is he is using that strength to barrel past people illegally. Basically he's charging with the ball. A smaller man would be held up a lot easier and give away a free for over carrying. If Walter runs charges into you and bowls you over, that's a free out too.

You can barrel all you want, if charge into their front or back its a foul
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

AZOffaly

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 11, 2018, 01:49:48 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 11, 2018, 01:34:08 PM
Yes. He charges.

Definition of a charge?

I would define a charge as head down, not playing the ball, and deliberately running into a player who is standing in front of you.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 11, 2018, 01:52:37 PM
Yes. He charges.

Definition of a charge?

I would define a charge as head down, not playing the ball, and deliberately running into a player who is standing in front of you.

Yes, you won't get to many 6'4 players running around in hurling with the head down, if he has the ball and takes four steps and a player stands in his way he has a right to go through him, legally.. he can't charge him i.e turn side on shoulder to his front or back, but can use his strength to get by.. can you imagine stopping all those runs?

A charge is very easy to call as a ref, someone with ball and stick in hand, upright and honest I'll let go. If a defender tries to stop him by putting his arms around him and not trying to play ball it's a foul.. to be fair though he is an awkward big Cnut and t**ker bell feet he's not got, so I'll give him the benefit for now, but I've the game recorded from Sunday so I'll check it

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 11, 2018, 05:55:53 PM
Yes. He charges.

Definition of a charge?

Yes, you won't get to many 6'4 players running around in hurling with the head down, if he has the ball and takes four steps and a player stands in his way he has a right to go through him, legally.. he can't charge him i.e turn side on shoulder to his front or back, but can use his strength to get by.. can you imagine stopping all those runs?

A charge is very easy to call as a ref, someone with ball and stick in hand, upright and honest I'll let go. If a defender tries to stop him by putting his arms around him and not trying to play ball it's a foul.. to be fair though he is an awkward big Cnut and t**ker bell feet he's not got, so I'll give him the benefit for now, but I've the game recorded from Sunday so I'll check it
No he doesn't
The tackler is entitled to stand their ground

A referee needs to implement the rules
If you try and go through a player with the ball hand and hurley up pushing against the helmet then it's clearly a free against

What does 'manly hurling mean?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 11, 2018, 07:59:24 PM
Yes. He charges.

Definition of a charge?

No he doesn't

If you try and go through a player with the ball hand and hurley up pushing against the helmet then it's clearly a free against

You are describing a charge, a player needs to play the ball, that's the defender and forward, if he stands his ground that's fine, but if he puts his arms on him as he's trying to pass him he's fouling him, as for a player with the ball he must play the ball or drop it or take his 4 steps if he puts a player on his arse legally then it's play on.. if he raises a hurl/elbow/forearm to an opponents face/head then that's a foul. A charge is a simple charge also a foul!

Manly hurling is when  players just get on with it without the bitching! How it's normaly played

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 11, 2018, 08:28:15 PM
Yes. He charges.

Definition of a charge?

No he doesn't

You are describing a charge, a player needs to play the ball, that's the defender and forward, if he stands his ground that's fine, but if he puts his arms on him as he's trying to pass him he's fouling him, as for a player with the ball he must play the ball or drop it or take his 4 steps if he puts a player on his arse legally then it's play on.. if he raises a hurl/elbow/forearm to an opponents face/head then that's a foul. A charge is a simple charge also a foul!

Manly hurling is when  players just get on with it without the bitching! How it's normaly played
Hard to play hurling when you've lads running through you like rugby

Milltown Row2

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 11, 2018, 09:45:20 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 11, 2018, 08:28:15 PM
Yes. He charges.

Definition of a charge?

No he doesn't

Hard to play hurling when you've lads running through you like rugby

Try it some time