Down Championship Predictions Competition

Started by Bacon, July 18, 2007, 09:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Ballymartin are big, strong and athletic and wouldn't look out of place against the bottom half of the first division. They've unearthed a big midfielder (called Darren Maggenis or Darren Cunningham) and he has a very useful partnership alongside Pat Greene. The night we played them, Darren O'Hanlon and Pete Fitzpatrick were wing-forwards. They are two powerful athletes, and they destroyed us by themselves -taking ball at midfield, and striding forward. John Fitzpatrick was also very impressive, and very unselfish, as a target man. I don't think they're as strong defensively as they are going forward, but we didn't really test this out until the final ten minutes of that game.

Spirit - I'd say Bryansford have the best pick of players in the county outside of Mayobridge, but any time I've seen them over the past few seasons, they seemed a little disorganised and little disinterested. Against Mayobridge in the 2005 final, they didn't seem to know whether they were a ball-carrying team, or a long-passing team through the target man (Grubber). In the end, they were neither, and resorted to lumping the ball long and aimlessly after working it out of defence. Against Burren last year, they offered absolutely nothing and seemed hopelessly intent on getting the ball into young Brannigan, who was getting skinned. Pete Travers (great keeper by the way) also seems to suffer from Mickey McVeigh syndrome (kick it in the same direction every time). When you've the likes of Shields, McLaughlin and Ireland floating about, I wondered why.  I haven't seen them this year under the new management team, so maybe those problems have been rectified.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: thewobbler on July 20, 2007, 12:56:13 PM
Ballymartin are big, strong and athletic and wouldn't look out of place against the bottom half of the first division. They've unearthed a big midfielder (called Darren Maggenis or Darren Cunningham) and he has a very useful partnership alongside Pat Greene. The night we played them, Darren O'Hanlon and Pete Fitzpatrick were wing-forwards. They are two powerful athletes, and they destroyed us by themselves -taking ball at midfield, and striding forward. John Fitzpatrick was also very impressive, and very unselfish, as a target man. I don't think they're as strong defensively as they are going forward, but we didn't really test this out until the final ten minutes of that game.

Spirit - I'd say Bryansford have the best pick of players in the county outside of Mayobridge, but any time I've seen them over the past few seasons, they seemed a little disorganised and little disinterested. Against Mayobridge in the 2005 final, they didn't seem to know whether they were a ball-carrying team, or a long-passing team through the target man (Grubber). In the end, they were neither, and resorted to lumping the ball long and aimlessly after working it out of defence. Against Burren last year, they offered absolutely nothing and seemed hopelessly intent on getting the ball into young Brannigan, who was getting skinned. Pete Travers (great keeper by the way) also seems to suffer from Mickey McVeigh syndrome (kick it in the same direction every time). When you've the likes of Shields, McLaughlin and Ireland floating about, I wondered why.  I haven't seen them this year under the new management team, so maybe those problems have been rectified.

Wobbler, they still arent the finished article but Big Burns has made a few changes to the way they play. He has made it his plan to save young Conor Maginn returning from injury too early and has also spoke about what his team will be like when his 'hand is full'.He also has utilised another young lad, Timmy Hanna, very well to date as a left half forward - he has alot of pace and skill and if McVeigh slots back in at LHB then this wing will be full of attacking at pace. Kalum King will hold the key at midfield for Carville.

Benny stayed on too long with the Ford and really should have departed on the back of 2003, although he thought another Championship was there for the taking but really he had lost the dressing room by 2005.
Eamonn will be gunning for Benny on the 10th August, no fear!

Johnnie99

Senior Football: Kilcoo, dont want to be predictable and go with Mayobridge so went for East Down gamble!

Intermediate Football: Saval

Junior Football: Bosco, just dont see Drumaness being strong enough to cope with them.

Premier Reserve Football: Mayobridge

Reserve Football: Burren

Colonel Cool

Colonel Cool

Senior Football: Mayobridge
I think they are still the best team in the county and should win the championship again. I'd like to see Kilcoo win though. It must be a brave while since they won it. Bryansford could be an outside bet.

Senior Hurling: Ballycran
Ballygalget and Portaferry have too many injuries and will have even more after they hammer the sh1te out of each other in the semi final. The crans have been very close for a number of years and I'm convinced they'll pull it off this year.  Good to see that common sense has prevailed at County Board level and the SHC Final is not now going to Newry.

Intermediate Football: Ballyholland
I've been told they are a good footballing side and with their county men back should do well. I'd like to see Carryduff do well but they seem to have slipped back a wee bit this year.

Intermedate Hurling: Ballycran
Ballycran meet Shamrocks in the first round and I reckon the winner of that tie will win this championship. The crans beat Newry by 9 pts in the league a couple of weeks ago. It will be a lot tighter in the championship but Ballycran will pull through and go on to beat Ports in the semi & Liatroim in the final. Revenge for last year.

Junior Football: Newry Bosco
Any team that's in the top 4 in Div 3 shouldn't be in the JFC.
They'll win it easy.

Junior Hurling: Ballela
Has to be Ballela. They have a really easy draw and the hard experience of playing in Div 1 for the past 3 years will do them the world of good when they drop down a level for the championship. Bredagh & Ballycran are the best teams in Div 2 but they'll meet in a semi final if they both get through tough Q/F matches. There's a big gap between Div 1 and Div 2 and Ballela will prove that by winning with something to spare.

Premier Reserve Football: Castlewellan
It's time East Down won this again. Castlewellan are making a big effort this year and will be strong. They have an easy draw against Kilclief who are heading for the East Down league. They'll get past them easy enough an then who knows.

Reserve Football: Attical
Good solid team of mountain men from the top of the Mournes who get a bye in the first round. Just an outside punt.
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

johnneycool

Quote from: Colonel Cool on July 23, 2007, 08:28:36 AM
Colonel Cool

Senior Hurling: Ballycran
Good to see that common sense has prevailed at County Board level and the SHC Final is not now going to Newry.

Where's it fixed for now Colonel?

I hope the semi's aren't scheduled for a saturday throw in or we might have the Ports throwing the toys out of the pram if BA Convery has to race across the north after playing for the other 'Ports'

Colonel Cool

It will depend who is in the final so probably Ballygalget  ;)
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

Lecale2

Senior Football: Mayobridge

Senior Hurling: Ballygalget

Intermediate Football: Ballymartin

Intermedate Hurling: Liatroim

Junior Football:  Bosco

Junior Hurling: Ballela

Premier Reserve Football: Kilcoo

Reserve Football: Burren

Bacon

Here's the predictions so far:

SFC
Mayobridge 8
Kilcoo 4
Rostrevor 1
Bryansford 1

SHC
Ballygalget 9
Ballycran 1

IFC
Saval 4
Ballyholland 4
Downpatrick 2
Carryduff 1
Ballymartin 1

IHC
Ballycran 3
Shamrocks 2
Liatroim 2
Ballygalget 1

JFC
Bosco 12
Drumaness 2

JHC
Ballela 6
Bredagh 2
Ballycran 1

PRFC
Mayobridge 7
Kilcoo 3
Burren 1
Rostrevor 1
Castlewellan 1

RFC
Burren 8
Rostrevor 1
Bredagh 1
Mayobridge 1
Attical 1

Clear favorites for most but the Intermediate football and hurling both look wide open.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

jpmac

SFC=Burren
IFC=Kilclief
JFC=Bosco

IHC=Ballycran
JHC=Bredagh

PRFC=Burren

RFC=Rostrevor

Bacon

Are any local bookies offering odds on the Down championships?

DownFanatic

Hurling is a foreign language to me so here is my football predictions:

SFC: Kilcoo, Burren and Bryansford are the main challengers but Mayobridge have it in them to pull off another victory.

IFC: The usual names like Saval, Ballyholland and Downpatrick have been bandied about but I have a feeling that one out of Kilclief or Ballymartin will take the trophy. More than likely the Lilywhites.

JFC: Drumaness are coasting Division 4. Teams arent even getting close to them. People are tipping Bosco for this but they will be found out. Drumaness to win it hands down with Bright lurking about.

PRFC: Rostrevor to be crowned champs with Kilcoo and Mayobridge being close bets.

RFC: Burren have the strength in depth and have a knack of doing well in this competition. Don't rule out Bredagh though. They have a knack of grabbing players from obscurity at just the right times.

Lecale2

Quote from: Bacon on July 25, 2007, 03:06:35 PM
You usually get bookies offering odds on the SFC from the Q/Fs on. I thnk Toals, Hughes and Eastwoods would all do that. One of the bookies down the Ards might offer a price on the SHC.

johnneycool

Quote from: Lecale2 on July 26, 2007, 07:38:17 AM
Quote from: Bacon on July 25, 2007, 03:06:35 PM
You usually get bookies offering odds on the SFC from the Q/Fs on. I thnk Toals, Hughes and Eastwoods would all do that. One of the bookies down the Ards might offer a price on the SHC.

Toals in Portaferry and Terry Foxes in Kircubbin take bets on the hurling championship.

Bacon

IHC starts this weekend.  I'd price it like this based on the draw. Portaferry's bye shortens their odds:

Liatroim 5/6
Portaferry 5/4
Ballygalget 7/4
Newry 9/4
Ballycran 9/4
Kilclief 8/1
Ballyvarley 16/1

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

My predictions are

Senior Hurling - Ballycran, I think the recent "rucus" in the camp will do them the world of good and they have the advantage of getting the juniors in the first round which gives them a gap of almost six-eight weeks to really prepare to meet the winners of Portaferry and Ballygalget. Think that the injuries the Ports have will come back to haunt them while Ballygalgets chances will every much hang on how Magic recovers from injury (if he does) so on balance it points to the Crans breaking their famine.

Intermediate - Hard to call obviously think that the winner of the Ballycran and Newry game could have a good say in this but reality is that if Ballycran win on Sunday they may have one or two players unavailable for the semi final due to subsequently playing in the Senior championship. That is what happened last year they beat Newry but by the time they played Liatriom had lost 3-4 of their starting 15 so if the same happened this year you would say that Liatriom would run out eventual winners. Don't see the Ports winning as I think they will have to "plug" too many gaps in their senior team due to injuries to have a realistic chance of winning while Ballygalget haven't really impressed all year.
In balance I expect the winner of the Newry/Ballycran game (could go either way) to play Liatriom in the final with it being a toss up for the winner, possibly Liatriom would be favourites.

Junior - Three teams in contention here namely Bredagh (who left it behind them last year), Ballea and Ballycran. Hard to know what the story will be with the Crans, they could decide they have a better chance of winning this than the intermedaite and line out their teams accordingly if they did and kept some of their players for the Junior championship then they would be favourites but don't know whether they will go for this or not.
If the Crans don't adopt that approach then I exepct Bredagh and Ballea to contest the final, this will be a lot closer than people think as Bredagh aren't a bad side at all although they depend heavily on some of their older lads to pull them through. In saying that Bredagh have a better balanced team than Ballea who rely heavily on some outstanding hurlers in Mal Magee, Johnny and Dan Mc Cusker although the likes of Doran, Mc Cann and Cosgrove are handy hurlers too. Expect it to be really close but Ballea just to shade it if Jonny and Mal hit form on a dry day.