Rossfan

Have Kerry won any u21 or u20 though?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rossfan

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on August 10, 2019, 09:16:54 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 10, 2019, 08:24:39 PM
There are 3 decent teams in Connacht.
One super size juggernaut and not much else in Leinster.

Roscommon are basically on par with Kildare and Meath..
So Galway and Mayowestros must be on a par with Laois and Longford then?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Mayo did so much right in 1st half but it was like Dublin hit a turbo button at half time and mayo didn't have turbo. I was in the Canal end and the movement and ball winning of con o Callaghan was outstanding. He was a wrecking ball in there as was Fenton. Dubs are just an amazing team. I don't think there is any hope now they can be bet in the final.

clarshack

Quote from: Armagh18 on August 10, 2019, 10:49:30 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on August 10, 2019, 09:25:54 PM
You feel uneasy after that start to second half by Dublin. It's realistically looking closer to 10 in a row. Is Cork now the best hope to beat them, say by middle of next decade?
Kerry surely with all these minor teams should be be beating the Dubs within the next 2 years.

They should be doing it now.

From the Bunker

Thank God that is over for this year. Kudos to the Gaa for inventing a competition where the best supported travelling team can lose twice and still make a semi-final. There are some decent Accountants in GAA headquarters.  In the past I would feel sorry for my fellow Mayo brethren who make the trip to Croker today. But of late I just see them as gullible idiots. Boosting the coffers of the GAA and helping with the funding of Dublin GAA. All this crap of we are in this together, it's the journey that matters and its important to be there. Oh, the irony, when you look closely at it. Or maybe most here are to close and need to take a step back to see the real picture.

The blinkered will call me mean spirited and devisive.

By the way this is probably the real beginning of the end of one of the most remarkable Mayo teams ever. They for the guts of a decade have make me proud to say I am from Mayo.

omagh_gael

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 05, 2019, 06:19:11 PM
As much as I'd love to see a cracker on Saturday I've a feeling this could turn out pretty rough for Mayo. They've put in another serious effort to get this far and now they're meeting a rested Dublin team with a serious motivation to go for the 5 in a row. I know Mayo have put it up to the Dubs in the past but guys like Chris Barrett, Keith Higgins and Colm Boyle have two more years on the clock and haven't encountered a full throttle Dublin team since their last AI final.

I think Mayo will will seriously miss Jason Doc in this game. He had a stormer in those AI finals and has the physicality and vision to really bring guys like CoC and Moran into the games against the Dubs.

I'm going for a comfortable Dub win beating the spread.

Just wasn't to be for these Mayo warriors. Father time really caught up in that second half. Some balls to put up that effort in 1st half.

BennyCake

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 10, 2019, 11:40:51 PM
Thank God that is over for this year. Kudos to the Gaa for inventing a competition where the best supported travelling team can lose twice and still make a semi-final. There are some decent Accountants in GAA headquarters.  In the past I would feel sorry for my fellow Mayo brethren who make the trip to Croker today. But of late I just see them as gullible idiots. Boosting the coffers of the GAA and helping with the funding of Dublin GAA. All this crap of we are in this together, it's the journey that matters and its important to be there. Oh, the irony, when you look closely at it. Or maybe most here are to close and need to take a step back to see the real picture.

By the way this is probably the real beginning of the end of one of the most remarkable Mayo teams ever. They for the guts of a decade have make me proud to say I am from Mayo.

Yeah I tend to agree with you somewhat.

If you build it, they will come... if HQ had invented a Super 16 before the Super 8, people would flock to that too. Fans are being taken for a ride. Fans from Mayo and Tyrone in particular this year, dragged all over the place week on week.

The Super 8's is purely about money. There's no need for an extra 2 rounds of QFs. It's taking the piss. But HQ knows fans will blindly follow their team.

I do think it's probably the end for a lot of Mayo players, and possibly that team. They've given so much and unfortunately just couldn't fall over the line. People rudicule us for only winning one AI. Yes we could and probably should've won more, but we easily could have won none. Mayos misfortune to come up again the Croke Park-funded Dublin machine looks like they will end up with none. That easily could Have been Armagh.

Cunny Funt

Thank God that is over for this year. Kudos to the Gaa for inventing a competition where the best supported travelling team can lose twice and still make a semi-final. There are some decent Accountants in GAA headquarters. 

Minor/U17 the same. Mayo and Cork both in the AI semi final and had lost two games.

joemamas

I have had quite a few beverages tonight, but tbh,  what you are saying crossed my mind four hours ago.

moysider

I probably go against the grain here being from Mayo and all.

I was probably seen as pessimistic going into today's game but I would prefer to call it realistic.

Still being realistic I think we had a good year. A lot went wrong but we got a long way being as dysfunctional as f**k at times.

Ironically our first half today is probably the first time I ve ever seen a Mayo team deliberately trying to control a game. I was genuinely impressed by that.
Not too depressed by what happened after tbh. A Dublin team 20 yrs ago could kill ye if they got a run on. In the 2006 AI semi we were on the ropes a bit before sneaking it. Not a lot has changed except now Dublin now don't f**k up when they get the opposition on the ropes.
Mayo was in a hopeless situation before a ball was kicked today. I'm not saying that another week would have changed the result but it reminded me of the scene from Gladiator where Maximus is wounded before his fight with the Emperor.
It was great to see Parsons able to come on and other injuries have defined our season in a way. I know people want to write us off but when you consider our younger players have been destroyed by injuries all summer, the older lads have dug out a good rearguard campaign and expect most to be back again. Ruane and McDonagh have been disrupted by injury. Durcan out for most of the Summer and Diarmuid O Connor not able to do himself justice today after wrist fracture.
Surely nobody thinks likes of Colm Boyle is through? One of his best years.
I'm not comfortable with a lot of the Dub bashing. I expect Mayo to match and compete with Dublin and suspect that people in Kerry, Tyrone, Donegal do as well.
The genie is not going back in the bottle. Dumbing Dublin down is not the way forward. That would make things worse. You would end up with a championship lite with no credibility at all.

dublin7

Opening 15 min of the 2nd half period was Dublin at their best. Mannion, Howard, O'Callaghan now leaders in this Dublin team. Fenton must have POTY in the bag already. Ran the show in the 2nd half. Typical of Dublin v Mayo games Mayo dominated 1st half but didn't make it count on the scoreboard

Cillian O'Connor finally got the red card that has been coming for years against Dublin for his dirty cheap shots. What a horrible individual on a football pitch.

I imagine this is end for the likes of Moran, Boyle, Higgins etc in a Mayo jersey. They have been warriors down the the years

Fair play to Tom Parsons for getting back to fitness to come off the bench today for Mayo. After his injury I figured he would never get back to that level again

Blowitupref

Quote from: moysider on August 11, 2019, 01:13:26 AM

I was probably seen as pessimistic going into today's game but I would prefer to call it realistic.

Still being realistic I think we had a good year. A lot went wrong but we got a long way being as dysfunctional as f**k at times.

Ironically our first half today is probably the first time I ve ever seen a Mayo team deliberately trying to control a game. I was genuinely impressed by that.
Not too depressed by what happened after tbh. A Dublin team 20 yrs ago could kill ye if they got a run on. In the 2006 AI semi we were on the ropes a bit before sneaking it. Not a lot has changed except now Dublin now don't f**k up when they get the opposition on the ropes.
Mayo was in a hopeless situation before a ball was kicked today. I'm not saying that another week would have changed the result but it reminded me of the scene from Gladiator where Maximus is wounded before his fight with the Emperor.
It was great to see Parsons able to come on and other injuries have defined our season in a way. I know people want to write us off but when you consider our younger players have been destroyed by injuries all summer, the older lads have dug out a good rearguard campaign and expect most to be back again. Ruane and McDonagh have been disrupted by injury. Durcan out for most of the Summer and Diarmuid O Connor not able to do himself justice today after wrist fracture.
I'm not comfortable with a lot of the Dub bashing. I expect Mayo to match and compete with Dublin and suspect that people in Kerry, Tyrone, Donegal do as well.
The genie is not going back in the bottle. Dumbing Dublin down is not the way forward. That would make things worse. You would end up with a championship lite with no credibility at all.

I think Paddy Durcan only missed out out on two of Mayo's 9 games this summer. Has been Mayo's stand out player this summer and should win All star.  Boyle a close 2nd and unlikely to be retiring yet.  Didn't a wounded Maximus win that fight?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 11, 2019, 02:40:59 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 11, 2019, 01:13:26 AM

I think Paddy Durcan only missed out out on two of Mayo's 9 games this summer. Has been Mayo's stand out player this summer and should win All star.  Boyle a close 2nd and unlikely to be retiring yet.  Didn't a wounded Maximus win that fight?

An Indian Summer for Boyle much like Moran in 2017 but probably unrealistic to expect him to reach those heights again if he stays on next year. Players normally don't have two Indian Summers.

omaghjoe

Dont want to be patronizing but Fair play to Mayo. They put up a fine fight and I thought they were slightly unlucky to get sucker punched so early after the break. Tho in saying that even if they had rode out that blitz Dublin would have just overpowered them sooner or later....2016 was the year unfortunately

Armagh18

Quote from: clarshack on August 10, 2019, 11:18:10 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on August 10, 2019, 10:49:30 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on August 10, 2019, 09:25:54 PM
You feel uneasy after that start to second half by Dublin. It's realistically looking closer to 10 in a row. Is Cork now the best hope to beat them, say by middle of next decade?
Kerry surely with all these minor teams should be be beating the Dubs within the next 2 years.

They should be doing it now.
Sure maybe they will.