Tom Humphries

Started by bottlethrower7, January 29, 2007, 09:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Seanie, was that interview yesterday not from 2012, or was he on again in 2017?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 10, 2017, 12:00:01 PM

I don't think he's appeared on any radio stations or made any comment apart from this written in The Sunday Times a couple of days ago.

The interview from 2012 is here https://www.todayfm.com/The-Last-Word-with-Matt-Cooper/I-Find-It-Incredible-That-David-Walsh-Gave-A-Character-Reference-To-Tom-Humphries
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Orchard park

Quote from: Asal Mor on October 09, 2017, 10:24:01 PM
I thought it was admirably brave on Walsh's part. He'll win no friends for it and is risking a lot with his stance. Would have been the easiest thing in the world to turn his back on Humphries. It's hard to see any reason why you'd want to defend him but it took some balls.

or incredible stupidity and arrogance

seafoid

Humphries is going to be punished. That should be the end of it.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rosnarun

honest question where why do you think people abuse children ?
is it evil or a sexual persuasion or a control thing or a mental illness or something else?
also would people make a distinction bewteen under age sex and classic pedophilia where victim has not reached puberty?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

seafoid

Quote from: rosnarun on October 10, 2017, 01:35:38 PM
is it evil or a sexual persuasion or a control thing or a mental illness or something else?
also would people make a distinction bewteen under age sex and classic pedophilia where victim has not reached puberty?
There has to be a distinction between 16 and below 10. At what age would it have been okay anyway? 18 ? .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Owen Brannigan

According to Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders , Fifth Edition, Edited by American Psychiatric Association and the The ICD-10 Classification of Mental and Behavioural Disorders for WHO:

Pedophilia or paedophilia is a psychiatric disorder in which an adult or older adolescent experiences a primary or exclusive sexual attraction to prepubescent children. Although girls typically begin the process of puberty at age 10 or 11, and boys at age 11 or 12, criteria for pedophilia extend the cut-off point for prepubescence to age 13.

Legal systems will determine their own age limits where someone may engage in sexual relations/acts with a young person. Such systems assume that there is an age limit below which a young person does not have the maturity to give consent to sexual activity.  This is commonly referred to as sexual abuse of a minor.

So, technically Humphries is not a paedophile but has been found guilty of engaging in sexual activity with a person younger than the age limit set by the state. 

5 Sams

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/david-walsh-tried-to-set-up-magazine-to-benefit-tom-humphries-36212576.html?utm_content=buffere5caa&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Journalist David Walsh planned to set up a magazine for the financial benefit of paedophile Tom Humphries, a best-selling author has claimed.
Paul Howard said he was approached by Mr Walsh about the proposed venture in 2011 or 2012. Mr Howard, a former sports writer, declined the approach and the magazine never got off the ground.
"He gave me to understand it [the magazine] was essentially for Tom's benefit as Tom couldn't work. And he asked me to write for it," he said. "I was really, really shocked. I think from memory I just told David I was too busy and I wasn't interested. To be honest I just wanted to get him off the phone. I just felt really uncomfortable having a conversation like that. "I am annoyed now that David would have tried to co-opt me into some kind of campaign to rehabilitate Tom."
Mr Walsh did not return a call seeking comment.
The Aristocrat Years

magpie seanie

Sorry, seems I had the wrong end of the stick there.

Avondhu star

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 10, 2017, 11:27:00 PM

Sorry, seems I had the wrong end of the stick there.

Ooooh Matron!
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

rosnarun

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 10, 2017, 11:02:47 PM
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/david-walsh-tried-to-set-up-magazine-to-benefit-tom-humphries-36212576.html?utm_content=buffere5caa&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Journalist David Walsh planned to set up a magazine for the financial benefit of paedophile Tom Humphries, a best-selling author has claimed.
Paul Howard said he was approached by Mr Walsh about the proposed venture in 2011 or 2012. Mr Howard, a former sports writer, declined the approach and the magazine never got off the ground.
"He gave me to understand it [the magazine] was essentially for Tom's benefit as Tom couldn't work. And he asked me to write for it," he said. "I was really, really shocked. I think from memory I just told David I was too busy and I wasn't interested. To be honest I just wanted to get him off the phone. I just felt really uncomfortable having a conversation like that. "I am annoyed now that David would have tried to co-opt me into some kind of campaign to rehabilitate Tom."
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on October 10, 2017, 04:41:19 PM

According to Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders , Fifth Edition, Edited by American Psychiatric Association and the The ICD-10 Classification of Mental and Behavioural Disorders for WHO:

Pedophilia or paedophilia is a psychiatric disorder in which an adult or older adolescent experiences a primary or exclusive sexual attraction to prepubescent children. Although girls typically begin the process of puberty at age 10 or 11, and boys at age 11 or 12, criteria for pedophilia extend the cut-off point for prepubescence to age 13.

Legal systems will determine their own age limits where someone may engage in sexual relations/acts with a young person. Such systems assume that there is an age limit below which a young person does not have the maturity to give consent to sexual activity.  This is commonly referred to as sexual abuse of a minor.

So, technically Humphries is not a paedophile but has been found guilty of engaging in sexual activity with a person younger than the age limit set by the state. 
people juding from the the comment here do not seem to see it as a psychiatric disorder most as a pure evil. I can understand that when it comes to Serial prolific abusers of teenagers ETC but when you consider the though probes behind some one who thinks sext with a baby or very young  prepubescence  child and all the abhorrence that society consider those acts it hard not to see it that way.
I have often wondered are there a great many people with those proclivities walking around who do not act on them or is the forcing themselves on people part of the disorder?
and then there's the hard questions if Pedophilia is a psychiatric disorder how does it differ from other Sexual conditions/choices/inclinations such as homosexuality gender fluidness trans gender transsexuals ETC not to mention the rarer one. Can these questions ever ne raised in a academic manner any more of it it too much of a political  hot potato .
much easier to say cut the balls of the evil bastards

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: rosnarun on October 11, 2017, 11:33:58 AM

people juding from the the comment here do not seem to see it as a psychiatric disorder most as a pure evil. I can understand that when it comes to Serial prolific abusers of teenagers ETC but when you consider the though probes behind some one who thinks sext with a baby or very young  prepubescence  child and all the abhorrence that society consider those acts it hard not to see it that way.
I have often wondered are there a great many people with those proclivities walking around who do not act on them or is the forcing themselves on people part of the disorder?
and then there's the hard questions if Pedophilia is a psychiatric disorder how does it differ from other Sexual conditions/choices/inclinations such as homosexuality gender fluidness trans gender transsexuals ETC not to mention the rarer one. Can these questions ever ne raised in a academic manner any more of it it too much of a political  hot potato .
much easier to say cut the balls of the evil b**tards

1. Technically Humphries is not a paedophile but has been found guilty of engaging in sexual activity with a person younger than the age limit set by the state. 

Quotemuch easier to say cut the balls of the evil b**tards
leads to the type of action seen a number of years ago when a paediatric consultant was attacked because this brigade could not distinguish between a paediatrician and a paedophile.  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/901723.stm

3. A survey of court reports would indicate that more paedophilic abuse is carried out by a relative of the victim and increases further when a person familiar to the victim is included than by strangers who groom children for this purpose.  However, paedophilic offences by strangers tend to be highlighted in the media.

4. It is important to distinguish between sexual orientation from Paraphilic Disorders (which include paedophilia) as defined by Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders , Fifth Edition, Edited by American Psychiatric Association http://dsm.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.books.9780890425596.dsm19

rosnarun

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on October 11, 2017, 12:01:46 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on October 11, 2017, 11:33:58 AM

much easier to say cut the balls of the evil b**tards

1. Technically Humphries is not a paedophile but has been found guilty of engaging in sexual activity with a person younger than the age limit set by the state. 

leads to the type of action seen a number of years ago when a paediatric consultant was attacked because this brigade could not distinguish between a paediatrician and a paedophile.  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/901723.stm

3. A survey of court reports would indicate that more paedophilic abuse is carried out by a relative of the victim and increases further when a person familiar to the victim is included than by strangers who groom children for this purpose.  However, paedophilic offences by strangers tend to be highlighted in the media.

4. It is important to distinguish between sexual orientation from Paraphilic Disorders (which include paedophilia) as defined by Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders , Fifth Edition, Edited by American Psychiatric Association http://dsm.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.books.9780890425596.dsm19
as regards 3 the main reason would be the simple reason these are the easiest children to access. it takes a lot of preparation and cunning to groom some one as compared to abusing some one in their own home like wise social workers priests teachers coaches ETC.
and number 4 is these distinctions are political and liable to change. no funding would currently be made available to study Homosexuality V paedophilia that may turn up the wrong result. same goes for all the Various genders that are turning up week by week

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: rosnarun on October 11, 2017, 04:28:18 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on October 11, 2017, 12:01:46 PM

as regards 3 the main reason would be the simple reason these are the easiest children to access. it takes a lot of preparation and cunning to groom some one as compared to abusing some one in their own home like wise social workers priests teachers coaches ETC.
and number 4 is these distinctions are political and liable to change. no funding would currently be made available to study Homosexuality V paedophilia that may turn up the wrong result. same goes for all the Various genders that are turning up week by week

You should note that the definition of paraphilic disorders comes from a world recognised medical reference and the same medical reference does provide information of sexual orientation and gender assignment.  You should use the search function at the site address listed above to read the medical references to homosexuality and gender assignment.  As a current medical reference you will find no political interference.

omaghjoe

I've often wondered about when a psychiatric disorder turns into diminished responsibility for someone who has committed a crime.

I looked it up and couldnt find anything concrete on it. Whats the difference between a sociopath and schizophrenic for example? Or more to the point why is one considered to have diminished responsibility and the other not if they both have mental disorders?

I guess you can apply the same concept to pedophiles, that if they are wired that way then is it really their fault?

But then where do you stop? Does a delinquent kid have diminished responsibility for anti social behaviour because he comes from a broken home and has had a lot of bad influences?

Does that same kid as a young man have diminished responsibility when he progresses to taking drugs, and then robbing shops and assault to feed his habit?

Take this a step further and it starts to turn into a freewill debate v our justice system
or...
We could look it another way the justice system if is nothing to do with freewill, bad choices, fairness or even justice itself its just about taking those that are deemed to be socially unacceptable out of society or a deterrent to keep them in line.

or....?