Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

He has a neck like a jockeys bollocks blaming the government for the delays

RadioGAAGAA

They got greedy wanting a concert venue.

They are still wanting a f**king concert venue. With one terrace which would be behind the "stage".

Jokeshop.
i usse an speelchekor

Baile an tuaigh

Always liked the old Casment park and for some reason old stadiums in general. As someone pointed out a few page's back that all we need is to re sew the field, put up new goal posts clean and repaint the place then we should be good to go. Throw the ball in!

marty34

What shape is Casement in at present - could it be 'fixed up' on a temporary basis to hold say, 10, 000 for club/county game?
Is it badly run down and if so, is it the pitch?  Would it be worthwhile to fix it up short-term?  Or will Corrigan Park suffice?
I'm sure the concrete stands (if still there?) are still ok?
Anybody see it recently?

imtommygunn

Was one of the things not that the stands weren't safe too? Looking at the pictures of the pitch it would take a lot of work to get back into shape but I am sure there are boys about who could sort it. It would take a good while though.

For all the crowds Antrim ever get corrigan would do for now. It's only if we ever get a home championship game it becomes an issue.

rodney trotter

Google Casement Park and you'll see what's it like at present.. Its a wasteland and no chance could be temporary fixed

Sportacus

I always enjoy a trip to the Athletic Grounds.  A few thousand people creates a good atmosphere there. The whole Casement Project should be scrapped and just start from scratch. Build something suitable for Antrim, small and compact.  Would be much better than a big white elephant which will only be full once a year.  It's just another one of the shambles stories from the Stormont era (reading Burned at the moment).

Kidder81

Quote from: Sportacus on November 24, 2019, 05:27:42 PM
I always enjoy a trip to the Athletic Grounds.  A few thousand people creates a good atmosphere there. The whole Casement Project should be scrapped and just start from scratch. Build something suitable for Antrim, small and compact.  Would be much better than a big white elephant which will only be full once a year.  It's just another one of the shambles stories from the Stormont era (reading Burned at the moment).

Needs to be able to hold enough for the Wolfe Tones and whatever else Feile will be putting on each summer

Sportacus

Quote from: Kidder81 on November 24, 2019, 05:31:58 PM
I always enjoy a trip to the Athletic Grounds.  A few thousand people creates a good atmosphere there. The whole Casement Project should be scrapped and just start from scratch. Build something suitable for Antrim, small and compact.  Would be much better than a big white elephant which will only be full once a year.  It’s just another one of the shambles stories from the Stormont era (reading Burned at the moment).

Needs to be able to hold enough for the Wolfe Tones and whatever else Feile will be putting on each summer
Great, pack them into a nice compact venue and they can sing Grace til their hearts are content.

marty34

Quote from: dec on November 24, 2019, 04:52:44 PM
From a 2018 article

A quick mower on the grass, plough and reseed and pitch would be ok I'd say.  Looks worse than it is.

Stand looks ok - anybody feom Belfast know for sure is it structurally sound?  As I said, I'm sure the concrete terracing is ok. It's just been closed up so I presume there's been no major work started on it yet.

marty34

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 24, 2019, 07:15:47 PM

That's the main reason I never really enjoyed going to games in the old Casement - the ground being so open and the distance between the pitch and the stands always gave it a "cold" feeling even if the attendance was well into five figures. Healy Park suffers something similar, but to a lesser extent. The Athletic Grounds benefits from having two roofed areas along the length of both sides of the pitch, as well as both those stands being quite close to the playing area. Doesn't take too many people to get a good atmosphere going.

Breffni Park has the best atmosphere in my opinion.  If it's a full house and big game, it make for a super atmosphere.  It's like a bowl like ground and great for a big game.

Will it ever end

I don't believe for one second the departmental delays are the cause here just a stick to be used to beat the drums - the clout these guys have with political & local government departments their surely versed in all the issues -  a complete shit show!

What they've went for is too big to be accommodated in the area & the only natural response is to scale back but they won't to save embarrassment - the irony being the longer this drags out the more embarrassing it becomes!

armaghniac

While the delay is an embarrassment, the real scandal is that the existing ground was closed while they were futtering about.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on November 25, 2019, 12:28:31 AM
While the delay is an embarrassment, the real scandal is that the existing ground was closed while they were futtering about.

100%
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea