Tyrone v Cork in Croke Park Sat 20th July 5pm

Started by Fuzzman, July 15, 2019, 03:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

God help whoever takes over from Harte when he does leave, when you see boys giving out about tactics on the night we reach our third semi final in a row. The same boys have probably hardly bothered going to a game all year.

Yesterday showed we are more adaptable then previously and Donnelly/mcshane worked great together again up front. As someone else said I genuinely think Tyrone wanted to get through these games with minimum fuss and mix it up again later in the year. We'd have learnt very little from any tactics change in recent games anyway.

And for all the talk Dublin flood defence when they don't have the ball and often leave no one up front.

Great after a tough schedule that the team now have 3 weeks to get ready for a semi final. I'm sure the management team will be in Croke today getting a good look at the potential opponents.

RedHand88

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 21, 2019, 09:28:55 AM
God help whoever takes over from Harte when he does leave, when you see boys giving out about tactics on the night we reach our third semi final in a row. The same boys have probably hardly bothered going to a game all year.

Yesterday showed we are more adaptable then previously and Donnelly/mcshane worked great together again up front. As someone else said I genuinely think Tyrone wanted to get through these games with minimum fuss and mix it up again later in the year. We'd have learnt very little from any tactics change in recent games anyway.

And for all the talk Dublin flood defence when they don't have the ball and often leave no one up front.

Great after a tough schedule that the team now have 3 weeks to get ready for a semi final. I'm sure the management team will be in Croke today getting a good look at the potential opponents.

Well said. Three consecutive semis is one hell of an achievement. Only Mayo, Kerry and Dublin have achieved it this decade.

HokeyPokey

I make it that since 2003 (17 years), Tyrone have only failed to make it to the quarter finals three times and have made nine semi
finals and four finals?

yellowcard

Mickey Harte is a genius for getting the current Tyrone team to the level that he has. Take Harte and Donnelly out of that side and they are a fairly limited bunch of players but have shown remarkable consistency in the last few years. A combination of Harte's tactical genius and their conditioning has made them very difficult to beat.

Will be interesting to see how many players Dublin/Tyrone rest for next week. If I was in Harte's shoes I'd play a completely different XV but Harte plays McKenna cup likes it's a championship game so I expect that he won't rest very many but that would be a huge mistake imo since the following weeks semi is the critical game for them.

RedHand88

rrhf

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 21, 2019, 12:06:28 PM

Well said. Three consecutive semis is one hell of an achievement. Only Mayo, Kerry and Dublin have achieved it this decade.
Well done team and management.  In big games it's no longer just about yourself. Cork played very well in the first half... moving Matty and Harte's performance in the second half were the difference. Cork showed how decent they were by refusing to fold after the Tyrone blitz..Great result

superstar_

Quote from: Whishtup on July 21, 2019, 12:33:54 AM
Thought McKernan was very dangerous in the second half until he was taken off-was he injured? Tiernan McCann  coming back into the team will be huge-a big part of the spine of the team and a big game player.  Tyrone have definitely added more to their game than last year and a couple of decent players.  In a final though, hard to see past Dubs unless there is a tactical masterclass by Harte.
Tiernan McCann shouldnt be on the Tyrone starting team. He is a very poor defender and a liability. Tyrones recent championship defeats since 2015 shows how much of a liability he is in defence. He offers a bit going forward but if Tyrone have any ambition for winning an All Ireland it won't happen with McCann in the defence.

trileacman

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 21, 2019, 12:06:28 PM

And that's through soft provincial championships unlike ourselves.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

HokeyPokey

Quote from: yellowcard on July 21, 2019, 01:15:51 PM
Take Harte and Donnelly out of that side and they are a fairly limited bunch of players but have shown remarkable consistency in the last few years. A combination of Harte's tactical genius and their conditioning has made them very difficult to beat.

Morgan, McNamee, Burns, Cavanagh, Hampsey, Sludden, McShane and McGeary have been stand out players at various points over the last few years as well. There's no obvious weak position in terms of personnel.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Dublin are outstanding but other than them it's not a particularly strong era and the gap between the top few sides and the rest is significant. The talent in the Tyrone panel and their conditioning means they should be in the last eight at least every year in this era. The championship format makes it easier too. Tyrone reached that final last year by beating a re building (and McBrearty less) Donegal side and a Monaghan team that shat it in Croke Park. All that needs to be taken into account when crowing about reaching 3 semi finals in a row.

Mickey was a fantastic manager for Tyrone and is an inspirational individual. He ran out of effective ideas at this level years ago though. This current crop were built on an ultra defensive model (which was already outdated when he started with it) which was shown up within 5 minutes in the first of those semis. He had no plan b. Last year he changed radically mid summer and we had the rather ridiculous situation of a team which had been built on a negative style specifically to beat the Dubs going all out attack against them in the final. And they were beaten by half time and had no plan b. Chopping and changing again in the months since. Its a team with loads of talent, tremendous fitness levels, but tactically confused and no wonder. We probably wouldn't beat the Dubs whoever was in charge, but we have zero chance as it stands.

Response seems to be that anyone who questions things isn't a real fan and look we've reached 3 semi finals in a row. Blind faith.