Quote from: reddgnhand on July 20, 2019, 10:24:22 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 20, 2019, 09:58:33 PM
Quote from: reddgnhand on July 20, 2019, 09:49:10 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 20, 2019, 09:25:04 PM
Quote from: reddgnhand on July 20, 2019, 09:06:26 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 20, 2019, 08:52:26 PM
Quote from: reddgnhand on July 20, 2019, 08:42:24 PM
Quote from: Angelo on July 20, 2019, 08:28:50 PM
Shambolic first half but got the job done in the end.

Mattie really came to the fore in the second half and showed real leadership. Harte and Meyler also had a big second half.

Thought Richie Donnelly was very sloppy when he came on.

The only real encouraging aspect for me today was how we were able to change our style during the game and get the result.

Encouraging?? Christ almighty why did it take so long to make the changes. I'm dismayed that after 10,20,30 &38 minutes that were played in the first half that Tyrone's tactics were unchanged.

I personally think Harte didn't want to show that hand just yet and wanted every team to think we'd abandoned the more attacking approach. Things are encouraging because compared to last year we can switch things up a little. That makes us more difficult to plan for. Cork thought they had us sussed and couldn't adjust to our changes. Whether that's enough to compete with the Dubs is another thing.

Come on I think you give him more credit than he's worth. Do you not think Cork knew how Tyrone had been playing during the league with Matty & Cathal up front until Mickey got spooked after the Donegal game. Personally I think he's a lucky manager and is very poor tactically.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Tyrone defensive tactics are good enough to beat nearly everyone bar the top few. Mickeys knows this better than anyone and has been trying to adapt the style. It was still early days v Donegal and he went back to what he knew would get us through the qualifiers. I don't think for one minute he abandoned the game plan they'd been working on throughout the league and I'm sure Tyrone have continued to work on this with the plan always being to utilise it again later in the championship. That's my take on it anyway. Some people in the county will never give Mickey credit and that's fair enough but I tend to disagree.

Adapt the defensive style? No he hasn't its the same shite different day. Tell me this how many times is C Cavanagh going to give away frees in the scoring area with his reckless tackling? Why hasn't it been cut out? Itsvthe same defensive system that has failed time and time again against the big teams. It failed again today in the first half against a team that will be playing in div 3 next year.
[/quote

So Tyrone didn't adapt their tactics in the second half? Like I say, we'll agree to disagree but teams don't get consistently to AI semi finals by luck.

They did. Which begs the question why play that system in the first half?

I thought I'd given my reason for that fairly clearly. Anyway, we are sitting in an AI semi final for the third year in a row for the first time in our history and all some people want to do is moan. I personally think we are in a better place than last year - time will tell.
That was never a square ball!!

red hander

Quote from: reddgnhand on July 20, 2019, 10:30:33 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on July 20, 2019, 10:27:11 PM
Did I read Peter Donnelly is quitting Tyrone at end of season to take a post with Ulster Rugby ? Big miss for Tyrone if true.

Yes wonder why?

I assume he's now going to be paid a salary for what he's doing. Good luck to him, a great servant to Tyrone as player and trainer. Fact Ulster have employed him shows how good he is at his job.

Main Street

Impressive from the Tyronies in the 2nd half, though the first half was more enjoyable.

reddgnhand

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 20, 2019, 10:36:50 PM
Quote from: reddgnhand on July 20, 2019, 10:24:22 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 20, 2019, 09:58:33 PM
Quote from: reddgnhand on July 20, 2019, 09:49:10 PM

Mattie really came to the fore in the second half and showed real leadership. Harte and Meyler also had a big second half.

The only real encouraging aspect for me today was how we were able to change our style during the game and get the result.

Encouraging?? Christ almighty why did it take so long to make the changes. I'm dismayed that after 10,20,30 &38 minutes that were played in the first half that Tyrone's tactics were unchanged.

I personally think Harte didn't want to show that hand just yet and wanted every team to think we'd abandoned the more attacking approach. Things are encouraging because compared to last year we can switch things up a little. That makes us more difficult to plan for. Cork thought they had us sussed and couldn't adjust to our changes. Whether that's enough to compete with the Dubs is another thing.

Come on I think you give him more credit than he's worth. Do you not think Cork knew how Tyrone had been playing during the league with Matty & Cathal up front until Mickey got spooked after the Donegal game. Personally I think he's a lucky manager and is very poor tactically.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Tyrone defensive tactics are good enough to beat nearly everyone bar the top few. Mickeys knows this better than anyone and has been trying to adapt the style. It was still early days v Donegal and he went back to what he knew would get us through the qualifiers. I don't think for one minute he abandoned the game plan they'd been working on throughout the league and I'm sure Tyrone have continued to work on this with the plan always being to utilise it again later in the championship. That's my take on it anyway. Some people in the county will never give Mickey credit and that's fair enough but I tend to disagree.

Adapt the defensive style? No he hasn't its the same shite different day. Tell me this how many times is C Cavanagh going to give away frees in the scoring area with his reckless tackling? Why hasn't it been cut out? Itsvthe same defensive system that has failed time and time again against the big teams. It failed again today in the first half against a team that will be playing in div 3 next year.
[/quote

So Tyrone didn't adapt their tactics in the second half? Like I say, we'll agree to disagree but teams don't get consistently to AI semi finals by luck.

They did. Which begs the question why play that system in the first half?

I thought I'd given my reason for that fairly clearly. Anyway, we are sitting in an AI semi final for the third year in a row for the first time in our history and all some people want to do is moan. I personally think we are in a better place than last year - time will tell.

Don't  think you did? The assumed Mickey knows this Mickey knows that Mickey knows best answer was given. How are Tyrone in a better place than last year?

Silkyskillssunshinee

Don't see how Tyrone are any better than last year. If they somehow got to the final against the Dubs, they'd receive the same beating as last year, if not worse.

They'll still be difficult opposition for Kerry/Donegal in semi-finals though.

Whishtup

Thought McKernan was very dangerous in the second half until he was taken off-was he injured? Tiernan McCann  coming back into the team will be huge-a big part of the spine of the team and a big game player.  Tyrone have definitely added more to their game than last year and a couple of decent players.  In a final though, hard to see past Dubs unless there is a tactical masterclass by Harte.

MayoBuck

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on July 20, 2019, 11:22:30 PM
Don't see how Tyrone are any better than last year. If they somehow got to the final against the Dubs, they'd receive the same beating as last year, if not worse.

They'll still be difficult opposition for Kerry/Donegal in semi-finals though.

McShane at full forward is a huge addition for them. They're broadly similar everywhere else so I think they have improved.

RedHand88

In the words of Kevin Keegan, "I would love it if we beat them."
Them being Kerry/Donegal/Mayo.

Blowitupref

Cork did much better than i expected but they are out of the championship now and will be left to rue letting a 7 point lead slip and where the game was there to be won for them but after getting off to a great start and defending well 1st half they seemed to lose their way maybe lack of fitness to keep it going for a full 70 minutes?

Winning in that manner is much better to Tyrone than last years 16 point win. Donnelly, P Harte, C McShane three of Tyrone's best players all stood up when needed in that 2nd half and R McNamee has been the clear stand out full back this year as no forward has got the better of him yet and in this game he held Brian Hurley scoreless who was eventually subbed off on 50 minutes similar for Conor Cox last week.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

dublin7

Quote from: Whishtup on July 20, 2019, 07:56:32 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on July 20, 2019, 07:40:58 PM
Quote from: lenny on July 20, 2019, 07:38:31 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 20, 2019, 07:31:19 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 20, 2019, 07:13:42 PM
Quote from: lenny on July 20, 2019, 07:06:41 PM
Darren Mc curry's dive in the first half. How embarrassing was that? Not quite McCann level but close enough.

;D Poor Lenny.
T'is like winning all over again reading his post match posts.

It's all over Twitter anyway but of course tyronians will stick up for him.

Donnelly some man to dive to win a free. Do Tyrone practice it in training?? There's cynical teams and then there is Tyrone. Embarrassing to watch their antics at times

Is this an automated post? Yawn.  Must be nervous about Omagh.
Couldn't care less about Omagh. Let Mickey shorten the pitch as much as he wants!!!

Dubs are in an All Ireland semi final regardless of what happens in Omagh. If Tyrone somehow make to an All Ireland final against the dubs then the 5 in a row is a nailed on certainty. Dubs have shown that they can rip apart Tyrone's defensive football with ease.  Tyrone still relyimg on tactics that they used 10 yrs ago

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: under the bar on July 20, 2019, 08:00:37 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on July 20, 2019, 07:40:58 PM
Quote from: lenny on July 20, 2019, 07:38:31 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 20, 2019, 07:31:19 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 20, 2019, 07:13:42 PM
Quote from: lenny on July 20, 2019, 07:06:41 PM
Darren Mc curry's dive in the first half. How embarrassing was that? Not quite McCann level but close enough.

;D Poor Lenny.
T'is like winning all over again reading his post match posts.

It's all over Twitter anyway but of course tyronians will stick up for him.

Donnelly some man to dive to win a free. Do Tyrone practice it in training?? There's cynical teams and then there is Tyrone. Embarrassing to watch their antics at times

Rich coming from the team that gives intercounty referees fat brown envelopes for behind closed doors games to teach them how to cheat within the rules....

Link, please.  Or admit you're  a spoofer.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Going back to Plan A to get us through the qualifiers just shows the lack of development though. Having failed with a more expansive style against the one really good opponent we have faced before reverting to type against weaker teams, do you really believe we are going to bring it out again once we face the very best teams? This just looks like more blind faith - "Mickey will have a plan".

The emergence of McShane as a serious option in attack has helped Tyrone, but tactically I don't see any evidence that we are any further down the road. If anything a few months of landing high balls on McShane before retreating back into defence following the Donegal defeat has only added to the confusion. It is no surprise that Tyrone go to pieces against any well drilled team.

Angelo

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on July 21, 2019, 05:03:40 AM

Going back to Plan A to get us through the qualifiers just shows the lack of development though. Having failed with a more expansive style against the one really good opponent we have faced before reverting to type against weaker teams, do you really believe we are going to bring it out again once we face the very best teams? This just looks like more blind faith - "Mickey will have a plan".

The emergence of McShane as a serious option in attack has helped Tyrone, but tactically I don't see any evidence that we are any further down the road. If anything a few months of landing high balls on McShane before retreating back into defence following the Donegal defeat has only added to the confusion. It is no surprise that Tyrone go to pieces against any well drilled team.

We've came through the qualifiers and Super 8s with relative ease since reverting back. Yesterday was the only time we looked in a bit of bother since the Donegal game.

I don't think it was necessarily the tactics today that cost us in the first half, it was the attitude and work rate of the players and they needed to get in and half time and to get a rocket from the management team. The fact we were 5 points down and were chasing the game would have made Harte's mind up to switch modes but it was the attitude of the players as a whole in that second half which was important.

I don't see anything to suggest we go to pieces against well drilled teams. In the past few years we've only lost to Mayo, Monaghan, Donegal and Dublin the Championship. The defeats to Donegal and Monaghan happened in Ulster and when we've met them outside the Ulster Championship we have beaten both. So that really leaves Mayo in 2016 where we lost by a point with 14 men and Dublin who are the best team in the county and who I can't see past for 5IAR.

The confusion works both ways. We'll play Dublin in a fortnight. They won't really know what to expect, it's a dead rubber so I hope we don't show our full hand because if we do win our semi final then I'm pretty certain we'll have to meet again.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Orior

I hate to say this, but well done Tyrone on that second half performance.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians