County most likely to break into the top 4

Started by seafoid, February 12, 2015, 12:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Quote from: moysider on February 12, 2015, 10:01:36 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 12, 2015, 01:16:36 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 12, 2015, 12:17:18 PM
Apologies seafoid, I thought your headline came from Carney's article. It looks like in this I am more aligned with Carney (gulp) where he calls the elite as the teams that can seriously hope for an All Ireland. (I'd include Cork in that list myself).

I thought it was an interesting article, AZ.
Mayo broke into the top 4 in 2011 with the semi final. They were losing to Longford the year before.
I can't see any new team winning the all Ireland this year but maybe one of the top 4 will be displaced.
Maybe Donegal have done as much as they could.
Mayo can't keep going forever without winning either. If they had won Sam they'd have faded back into the pack by now, I think.

And it is an iterative process- semifinal can lead to final appearance and then all Ireland win but it takes a while if you are not Kerry. The Dubs and Donegal served their time.
Monaghan were disappointing last year. I thought they would kick on. Armagh had a good run in the QFs too

I think neither Meath nor les Flourbags are  going to do it and it's too early for Ros/Cavan etc 
Galway need more time too.

But as Carney said
"It's a county that can dredge a maximum from its talent pool when the sniff of success emerges" ;)

Sounds like a pool o' poo

Nihilist

Who are the top 4? Is it the four you named because they were last year's semi-finalists?
If it is a lot of possibilities who will displace the top 4 comes down to the provincial winners as all they have to do then is win won game against a team who has come through a tough qualifier route.

so here you go

Munster = (probably Kerry) but Cork are improving
Leinster = Dubs
Connacht = tough call for Mayo with first game away in Galway
Ulster = Lottery

Most likely = Cork or Galway

rrhf

There's no doubt. All the talk seems to be about Armagh with some talk about Roscommon. What we know about Armagh is that their so called early morning in house cage wrestling sessions seems to be working.

illdecide

rrhf your winds ups are predictable and pathetic...change the record FFS. McGeeney is getting a lot of stick and i'm not exactly sure why, he's a good manager and Kildare have def dropped a few notches since he left. He will improve Armagh no doubt about that but the current team is a long long way off making the top four TBH, we need another 2 top forwards (min).

Maybe Kieran is one of these guys who people love to hate for some reason, he gets slated for over training when he's clearly not. He's apparently cage fighting the players ::), he has them at 6 in the morning doing yoga :P and God only knows what else prats on here and Media write about him. He's a quiet man who doesn't like to be in the spotlight much but you ask any of the Kildare and Armagh players about him and they'd do anything for the man and I know for a fact he's the same with the players...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

rosnarun

I think Its more like a top 2 which are joined by  2/3 other counuties Temporarily , for the last few years its been Mayo cork and Everysecond year Donegal, but dublin and Kerry will always be there.
out side of that 5 U think the best placed teams to Join them are Galway who have massive talent coming through if they can hold it together,
so do tyrone but they all seem to be a bit identikit, No being able to get anything out of Kyle coney is a major setback.
and of course down are alway able to Make a raid in a good year , will we see the marty clarke effect again.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Rossfan

The top 4 of 2014 were Kerry. Mwr, Donegal and Dublin.
Cork are most likely to split them up.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on February 13, 2015, 09:39:07 AM

Have any of ye actually watched Cork lately? Not even in the AI race since they won it in 2010.

Bingo

Opens thread.....

sees debate about Armagh....

Leaves thread.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on February 13, 2015, 09:58:22 AM

Have any of ye actually watched Cork lately? Not even in the AI I tire since they won it in 2010.
I think it will be some team other than Cork

Paddy power have the top 4 (Mayo, Kerry, dubs, Donegal) plus cork  with Cork slightly ahead of Donegal

And Galway leading the peleton a good way back at 22/1 with tyrone at 25/1 , Armagh and Monaghan at 33/1 and Ros at 40/1.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports/gaa-football/all-ireland-sfc

What about Derry ? Could they get the finger out ?

nrico2006

It will take Tyrone to have new management before they can flourish, the Harte shackles will be on for the 2015 season. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on February 13, 2015, 09:58:22 AM

Have any of ye actually watched Cork lately? Not even in the AI race since they won it in 2010.
We're talking future here a Shyfín.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mackers

Quote from: seafoid on February 13, 2015, 10:26:38 AM
No chance.

Quote from: Bingo on February 13, 2015, 10:18:38 AM
Opens thread.....

Leaves thread.
That's a bit harsh, not just Armagh's chances being debated Bingo.  Monaghan have more of a chance of making a breakthrough than Armagh IMO.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

imtommygunn

Quote from: mackers on February 13, 2015, 11:53:03 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 13, 2015, 10:26:38 AM
No chance.

Derry are anything from 5th to 7th best in Ulster (Donegal, Monaghan, Armagh and Tyrone would be above them definitely - we'll definitely see with Down and with Cavan it depends how they shape up).

Bingo

Quote from: mackers on February 13, 2015, 11:53:03 AM

Quote from: Bingo on February 13, 2015, 10:18:38 AM
Opens thread.....

Leaves thread.
That's a bit harsh, not just Armagh's chances being debated Bingo.  Monaghan have more of a chance of making a breakthrough than Armagh IMO.

Its more that I expected some realistic debate on the matter. For the record I don't think Monaghan would be top 4, Cork ahead of them for one and it really depends on the way the draw pans out who will be final 4 standing.

Monaghan will have it all to do to get past Cavan in the first instance but would be well capable of going on a decent run in qualifiers if they need to.

mouview

With a large dollop of bias I'd say Galway,  IF  IF  IF, they can start fielding near enough their strongest team, can improve about 20% and try and organise a defence to defend a little better. We have a fair few useful enough players coming through, the Corofin contingent to come back and a few injuries to clear up. If and when all this happens I do think we can give a good game to anyone; don't buy into the fact that Kev needs a couple of years to sort them out, if they're good enough, it can be done in year 1.

Could be way off in this tho'