Gary Connaughton - Iarmhí

Started by AZOffaly, July 01, 2013, 12:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Just saw there where Gary Connaughton, the Westmeath goalie has retired. The thought crossed my mind when I saw him completely misjudge a long shot from Fermanagh that ended up in the net, and I just see it there on Midlands Radio Facebook page.

As an Offaly man, a Westmeath player has to reach a certain level before I am willing to call him a very good player. Dessie Dolan, Damien Healy, Natchie Ennis, John Keane and a few others have met that criteria, and Connaughton has as well. He has been a brilliant servant for the Lake county, and a really strong character. Best of luck to him in his retirement.

On another note, he played Sigerson this year for AIT. Is he the first Student to retire from IC football due to age? :D

Shamrock Shore

Rossfan

Best wishes Gary.
You were a good one.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Jaysus, wasn't he playing Sigerson this year? Surely a first to retire from the county during your college years? :P

Good luck to him, I'll always remember the young head on him from 2004.

Hardy

That reminds me. What's Jimmy McGuinness doing these times?

Good luck to Gary.

Billys Boots

Good luck Gary, you broke my heart enough times.  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

gerrykeegan

Met up once after a WM Dublin O'Byrne where we had been slaughtered. The players were going in to clubhouse in Parnell Park for their soup and sandwiches. He spotted me in the Maroon and stopped and chatted for a bit. the Dubs I was with gave him a slagging. He took it fierce well. He came across as a gent.

Thanks Gary and good luck
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Captain Obvious

Won All-star didn't he? he made a blunder on one of the Fermanagh goals at the weekend and probably decided to call time after that. All the best to him.

Wildweasel74

Good keeper, been around with Westmeath  along time

Croí na hÉireann

Gary will go down as one of the Westmeath greats alright. Was off form in the championship this year and the new square ball rule was the cause of any errors. One of the best if not the best shot stoppers in the business.

Will always remember him in 2004 running out the field with the fist pumping before it was fashionable for keepers to act as sweeper. A fierce competitor, after narrowly losing the Leinster Intermediate Final in 2009 Gary was back standing outside the locked dressing room before the crowd had left the sideline. If the door had knees they would have been shaking.

Like gerry said, a sound man, would talk about Westmeath football no problem. Had that mad streak that all great goalkeepers have, used to hang out of trees when he was younger to improve his reach. Cusack Park and in particular the goalmouth will be a quieter place next year. Enjoy your retirement Gary, it's richly deserved.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...