Walsh and Moran off to St Kilda?

Started by macdanger2, September 30, 2009, 11:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redhandloo

Quote from: Jinxy on October 01, 2009, 11:54:28 AM
If they are AFL ready at 23/24 then they have plenty of years in them.
true but there are issues with how both players kick the call and this will take time to address
Tough times don't last, tough people do!

INDIANA

Big if- too late at 22 in my view. No Irish player has made it that late. A lot easier to learn the skills at 18. Bigger lads than Walsh have gone over and haven't made it. In my view Walsh would be more suited to playing inside centre for Munster.

johnpower

Quote from: longrunsthefox on September 30, 2009, 07:55:37 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 30, 2009, 06:58:14 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on September 30, 2009, 05:56:51 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 30, 2009, 04:37:42 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 30, 2009, 01:12:08 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 30, 2009, 12:12:41 PM
dont think either would make it to be honest. Both very late to be going over.

I think Walsh is made for it.

Disagree. Think there's more than a touch of yalla in him for a big man.

agreed .. big Joe spooked him last year. the Aussies would have him for breakfast  :o

He didn't look too spooked to me.
He's not at all yellow he's just so physically imposing he doesn't have to go in for this nonsense of screaming in peoples faces or trying to act the hard man.
If he does go over there I predict he'll be an instant success.

so why did he let Joe intimidate him?... he didn't touch the ball after that

AH Big Joe and his big mouth . he was quiet buck this year .

Jinxy

Quote from: INDIANA on October 01, 2009, 12:50:58 PM
Big if- too late at 22 in my view. No Irish player has made it that late. A lot easier to learn the skills at 18. Bigger lads than Walsh have gone over and haven't made it. In my view Walsh would be more suited to playing inside centre for Munster.

Who?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

redhandloo

Quote from: johnpower on October 01, 2009, 12:56:41 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on September 30, 2009, 07:55:37 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 30, 2009, 06:58:14 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on September 30, 2009, 05:56:51 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 30, 2009, 04:37:42 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 30, 2009, 01:12:08 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 30, 2009, 12:12:41 PM
dont think either would make it to be honest. Both very late to be going over.

I think Walsh is made for it.

Disagree. Think there's more than a touch of yalla in him for a big man.

agreed .. big Joe spooked him last year. the Aussies would have him for breakfast  :o

He didn't look too spooked to me.
He's not at all yellow he's just so physically imposing he doesn't have to go in for this nonsense of screaming in peoples faces or trying to act the hard man.
If he does go over there I predict he'll be an instant success.

so why did he let Joe intimidate him?... he didn't touch the ball after that

AH Big Joe and his big mouth . he was quiet buck this year .
irrelevant post
Tough times don't last, tough people do!

ballinaman

I know this has nothing to do with the thread but worth a look!! If only the All Stars were as much craic......Ya can see why Fev did the damage in Galway the time...seems to like the few jars!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5arZqHVKuA&feature=related

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ballinaman on October 01, 2009, 02:28:51 PM
I know this has nothing to do with the thread but worth a look!! If only the All Stars were as much craic......Ya can see why Fev did the damage in Galway the time...seems to like the few jars!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5arZqHVKuA&feature=related

Saw that alright. Talk about locked. ;D

magpie seanie

Walsh will be back for the start of the NFL next season. If some buck hits him a clatter he'll be looking over to the sideline wanting to be taken off like when Seán Davey ran into him in Tralee.

INDIANA

Quote from: Jinxy on October 01, 2009, 01:01:14 PM

Who?

kevin devine and bernie collins were about 6ft 7 each and didn't make it as forwards. Granted Walsh is a better Gaelic Footballers than either- but I'm not sure thats relevent to AFL. Clarke is about the best minor I ever saw and even he struggled after a while.
Walsh wasn't able to play centre forward against Dublin this year lasted 20mins- there is no way he'd have the mobility for AFL in that postion. Its full forward or nothing. And those guys are the best players on any AFL team. So he would have to be exceptional at AFL to make it in that area of the pitch.

Its a pity if it happens-his best position at Gaelic Football has just been found ie- full forward.

Jinxy

Quote from: INDIANA on October 01, 2009, 03:17:01 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on October 01, 2009, 01:01:14 PM

Who?

kevin devine and bernie collins were about 6ft 7 each and didn't make it as forwards. Granted Walsh is a better Gaelic Footballers than either- but I'm not sure thats relevent to AFL. Clarke is about the best minor I ever saw and even he struggled after a while.
Walsh wasn't able to play centre forward against Dublin this year lasted 20mins- there is no way he'd have the mobility for AFL in that postion. Its full forward or nothing. And those guys are the best players on any AFL team. So he would have to be exceptional at AFL to make it in that area of the pitch.

Its a pity if it happens-his best position at Gaelic Football has just been found ie- full forward.

No they weren't!
6'4" max and nowhere near the physical size & strength Walsh has.
We have not sent over anybody as well equipped as he is to be a key position forward.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

HeaveHo

Quote from: Jinxy on October 01, 2009, 10:57:34 AM
Walsh would be too lazy for the AFL?
As a key forward he'll be expected to run out on a lead, catch the ball and then stop.
Do you hear me?
STOP.
He won't have to follow his man up the field.
He will be well able for the physical requirements.
He's 6'5" and already 100kg+.
There won't be many KP forwards bigger than him especially now that he can really hit the gym.

The game has changed a lot Jinxy - with flooding defences key forwards are expected to follow their men into their back line. It is not uncommon to have the entirey of both teams at one end of the ground. If Walsh doesn't follow his man he will be dragged. He will be expected to cover a lot of ground in both directions.

The size will come in handy - if he goes to St Kilda he will have trouble getting a key forward position. The Saints have Nick Rewoildt and Justin Kositsche - both are north of 6'5" and very athletic. Rewoildt has the aerobic capacity of a midfielder like Marty Clarke. Kosy has one of the better vertical leaps in the game. Methinks Walsh will play down back as the Saints are little light on in defence.   

BallyhaiseMan

would Tommy Walsh not be an outstanding Full Back in Aussie Rules?
6'5 strong and extremely athletic,
anytime ive watched Aussie Rules,there seems to be a lack of top class full backs,Matthew Scarlett being the obvious exception.

comethekingdom

From todays Indo

Call of club puts cloud over Oz trip for Walsh and Moran
KERRY duo Tommy Walsh and David Moran are not going anywhere -- for the time being at least.

The Kerins O'Rahillys pair, who have been linked with a move to AFL side St Kilda, could yet have considerable commitments with their club who are in with a chance of being the Kingdom's representatives in the race for the All-Ireland club title -- despite the fact that they are out of the county championship.

Club sources are hopeful that the duo will stay on to complete the current campaign.

The Strand Road club face neighbours Ardfert in the club championship final on Sunday week and will be favourites to win that game.

And should they emerge victorious and a divisional side win the county championship -- as has been the case for the past five years -- the Tralee outfit would represent Kerry in the first round of the Munster club championship as divisional teams are not eligible to represent counties. Kerry's representatives start their campaign with a home tie against Cork champions Clonakilty on November 8.

With Moran's father, Kerry legend 'Ogie', manager of O'Rahillys and Walsh's father Sean heavily involved behind the scenes, the pair could find it hard to sever their links with the club in such a scenario -- as was the case for Tommy last year when he remained at home to play in a county championship final replay.

That decision effectively ended his chances of a move Down Under that year as it brought him past the AFL's international recruitment deadline.

Should O'Rahillys win the club championship on October 11, they could know if they are Kerry representatives as soon as seven days later at which stage there may be no club sides left in the county championships. Otherwise they will have to wait until the county final on November 1 to know their fate.

Man of the match in the All-Ireland final, Tom O'Sullivan, believes everything possible will be done to keep the pair at home.

"I don't think the boys are going to walk away from it," said the Rathmore man. "They'll be certainly coaxed into staying back I'd think anyway.

Rosy

"It's a big move for any young guy to go all the way out to Australia for a couple of years. They've a rosy enough life around here. They're winning their few All-Irelands. It's competitive here and I think they'll stay around. They'll be a huge loss if they do go of course."

orangeman

Nixon is getting desperate it seems :

Aussie Rules players' agent Ricky Nixon has urged Kerry's Tommy Walsh to sign for AFL club St Kilda before it's too late.

Nixon has said that if Walsh doesn't sign before next month's international rookie's deadline, he will be too old in 2010.

It has been reported that St Kilda have offered contracts to Walsh and club-mate David Moran and Nixon told the Irish Sun: 'St. Kilda would have to sign Tommy this year because given his age it's going to be very difficult to sign him in the future.

'The reason he's always denied his interest in playing the AFL is because his father is very influential and doesn't want to upset the big names in Kerry circles.

'He told the Irish media that he was never going to sign for St. Kilda when he came out last year, but that was because he arrived after the draft deadline so they couldn't sign him anyway.

'There are no other AFL clubs in the frame to sign him at this stage. The problem for Irish players is that most of them start learning Australian Rules when they are a lot older than Aussie kids so they don't make it.'

thejuice

QuoteThe reason he's always denied his interest in playing the AFL is because his father is very influential and doesn't want to upset the big names in Kerry circles.

coming out with that shite might not help his cause.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016