Walsh and Moran off to St Kilda?

Started by macdanger2, September 30, 2009, 11:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: longrunsthefox on September 30, 2009, 05:56:51 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 30, 2009, 04:37:42 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 30, 2009, 01:12:08 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 30, 2009, 12:12:41 PM
dont think either would make it to be honest. Both very late to be going over.

I think Walsh is made for it.

Disagree. Think there's more than a touch of yalla in him for a big man.

agreed .. big Joe spooked him last year. the Aussies would have him for breakfast  :o

He didn't look too spooked to me.
He's not at all yellow he's just so physically imposing he doesn't have to go in for this nonsense of screaming in peoples faces or trying to act the hard man.
If he does go over there I predict he'll be an instant success.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

INDIANA

Wouldn't be so sure- hasn't the gas for the outfield positions so he's s either a full forward or not at all. And as everyone knows that is the hardest position to make it at AFL.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Jinxy on September 30, 2009, 06:58:14 PM

agreed .. big Joe spooked him last year. the Aussies would have him for breakfast  :o

He's not at all yellow he's just so physically imposing he doesn't have to go in for this nonsense of screaming in peoples faces or trying to act the hard man.

so why did he let Joe intimidate him?... he didn't touch the ball after that

comethekingdom

Quote from: longrunsthefox on September 30, 2009, 07:55:37 PM

he's still only a young lad in fairness

muppet

Quote from: comethekingdom on September 30, 2009, 07:58:46 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on September 30, 2009, 07:55:37 PM

he's still only a young lad in fairness

Now now, this is Gaa we are talking about. Where I come form if a 4 year footballer old runs away from an Alsatian dog he is immediately switched to soccer.
MWWSI 2017

Jinxy

Quote from: INDIANA on September 30, 2009, 07:48:51 PM
Wouldn't be so sure- hasn't the gas for the outfield positions so he's s either a full forward or not at all. And as everyone knows that is the hardest position to make it at AFL.

He'll be a centre forward and believe me he'll have plenty of gas compared to the average key position forward in the AFL.

marym

CIARAN SHEEHAN has handed Cork football a massive boost by revealing that he has turned his back on an AFL career with Carlton, citing homesickness as a key factor in his decision to pursue a career in the GAA.

Sheehan, who was a member of the Cork training panel in the build-up to the recent All-Ireland final decider, spent four weeks during the summer in Melbourne with the AFL outfit but found it difficult to acclimatise during that period.

"It's just myself and my mom at home, so homesickness was a really big factor. Being away from home was tough going during those four weeks. It's not that I didn't enjoy the training, once you get into the fitness and conditioning, it was a great experience. I'd be very grateful to Carlton for the opportunity. They'd followed me for a while and the way they kept in touch, and allowed me to make up my mind, is something I'd really admire."

Sheehan admits that being involved with the Cork senior squad this season helped sway him towards sticking with GAA. But despite having made up his mind soon after returning from Australia, he did not want to take the focus off Cork's All-Ireland final preparations by making an announcement about his future.

"About two weeks after I came back, I had my mind made up that I was going to stay in Ireland. I got in touch with Carlton and was in contact with Setanta as well before the All-Ireland. But being involved with Cork before the All-Ireland, I didn't want to affect the lads preparations. Being so young and being brought onto the Cork panel made my decision a lot easier. I'll continue to do both hurling and football with club and college next year definitely. But being a part of the senior football panel this year, it's likely that'll it'll be the football I'll carry on doing next year for Cork."

Meanwhile Collingwood will continue to search for young talent on these shores despite yesterday's confirmation that a second Irish player has decided to leave the club for home in the space of a week. Down's Martin Clarke had already opted to leave to pursue his studies and play for his club and county and it seems now that he was joined on the same plane home by Armagh international rookie Kevin Dyas.

"We'll continue to have a network operating for us in Ireland and if they see players they consider to be prospects we'll still be positive," said Collingwood's chief of football operations Geoff Walsh.

Dyas decision to quit was one reached by mutual consent with the 'Pies' and was made because of persistent injury troubles in Australia as well as an unshakeable bout of homesickness.

"It was not quite as unexpected as Marty," said Walsh. "Kevin tore his hamstring off the bone late last season and had to go through a six-month recovery period. He got back pretty well to play most of this season with the VFL (reserve team), but more so it was the difficulty with his restricted training program.

"I think he had some doubt in his mind, as did our medical people, as to whether he would stand a full, unrestricted pre-season. Given where he's at, we all agreed Kevin would have needed to do every possible thing over the summer to get himself into an elite level of fitness. There was some doubt whether his training would allow him to do that."

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Wednesday, September 30, 2009

more info »

TCH Group » Irish Examiner Sunday Bus. Post Evening Echo BreakingNews.ie -- -- -- Roscommon Herald Sligo Weekender Western People -- -- -- The Kingdom Waterford News -- -- -- Carlow Nationalist Kildare Nationalist Laois Nationalist -- -- -- Gorey Echo New Ross Echo Enniscorthy Echo Wexford Echo -- -- -- Newry/Down Democrat Irish Post (UK) -- -- -- WLR.FM Beat 102-103 Red FM 104-106 -- -- -- RecruitIreland.com Motornet.ie TCM
News
Breaking News
Ireland
World
Business
Sport
Opinion
Weather
Features
Books
Book Store
Food
Property
Sport Blog
Travel
DVD Reviews
Film Reviews
Horoscopes
Soap Watch
Services
Archives
Family Notices
Lotto
Mobile
RSS
Help
FAQ
Contact Us
Media Pack
Privacy Policy
Subscriptions
Terms and Conditions
Text Only

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/sheehan-rejects-carlton-chance-102179.html#ixzz0ScbbNaKU

ballinaman

Both Walsh and Moran signed their contracts with St Kilda around late June, early July of this year. Deals have been done contrary to what is being written in the newspapers. They kept it quiet as not to unsettle the Kerry squad.

Having watched the Grand Final the last day, I can see them both struggling to make it. I think Ricky Nixon wanted Walsh because he was young player of the year last year, just to make a statement. Walsh and Moran are around 6'5 each....not going to make a whole lot of difference, there are some granny's in Australia who are 6'5!

orangeman

Quote from: AFS on October 01, 2009, 10:35:15 AM
Quote from: orangeman on October 01, 2009, 10:26:51 AM
http://www.saints.com.au/players/tabid/5392/category/rookie/season/2009/default.aspx

Am I missing something, whats the relevance of their 2009 rookie list?

Just making the point that's going to be tough out there for any Irish GAA player. Odds IMO are against them making an impact.

Some Kerry lads would say that Walsh might be a bit lazy for the AFL game but has the physique.

Jinxy

Walsh would be too lazy for the AFL?
As a key forward he'll be expected to run out on a lead, catch the ball and then stop.
Do you hear me?
STOP.
He won't have to follow his man up the field.
He will be well able for the physical requirements.
He's 6'5" and already 100kg+.
There won't be many KP forwards bigger than him especially now that he can really hit the gym.

orangeman

Quote from: Jinxy on October 01, 2009, 10:57:34 AM
Walsh would be too lazy for the AFL?
As a key forward he'll be expected to run out on a lead, catch the ball and then stop.
Do you hear me?
STOP.
He won't have to follow his man up the field.
He will be well able for the physical requirements.
He's 6'5" and already 100kg+.
There won't be many KP forwards bigger than him especially now that he can really hit the gym.

Do you think that he is definitely for staying ? Has a contract been signed ?

He would be well able physicaly for the game - not sure about the engine. But you could be right about him not needing massive stamina in the position that he would play in.

redhandloo

Would the age of the two lads not be a stumbling block.  It usually takes at least 12 months for a transition to be made.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!

Jinxy

If they are AFL ready at 23/24 then they have plenty of years in them.