Building a Website!

Started by bert and ernie, February 04, 2008, 02:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

clarshack

Quote from: stpauls on February 04, 2008, 03:42:51 PM
the site i use to download from is torrentspy.com

avoid torrentspy like the plaque especially if you are downloading movies. the mpaa (the motion picture association of america) recently won a case in which they get access to their log files which of course contain peoples IP addresses.

heganboy

one point- if you're that computer literate, why would you need to ask this? Are you that you really want to take this on?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

bert and ernie

Quote from: heganboy on February 04, 2008, 05:11:11 PM
one point- if you're that computer literate, why would you need to ask this? Are you that you really want to take this on?

There are many diverse professions within the I.T industry, I can't see Web Design being that challenging to me, I just have never done it.

heganboy

QuoteThere are many diverse professions within the I.T industry, I can't see Web Design being that challenging to me

good man, i look forward to your thoughts on FPGA, IMDB, TBB, Real Time OS, Infiniband, C++ vs Java and all the rest, there's quite a few people here within the I.T. industry on the board, and I'm sure they wouldn't take it on...
But hey thats just me, I find some things challenging...

thewobbler

QuoteThere are many diverse professions within the I.T industry, I can't see Web Design being that challenging to me, I just have never done it
There are only three possible outcomes to this job, bert and ernie:

1. You don't do it.
2. You make a complete mess of it and walk away, leaving one more half-arsed, unneeded, unmaintained website floating around on cyberspace until your host pulls it.
3. You make a complete mess of it, but over the course of a couple of years and a couple of rebuilds, you work out how to do things right and make something worthwhile.

The third one is the outshot, by the way.

heganboy

ah wobbler don't take the fun out of it.
There is of course another approach. Get a sponsor and get a useful tool for committees managers players members and supporters have the thing make you some money with no effort and useful to anyone who can use google rather than just a white hat such as yourself. Try servasport.com there are more out there

Or do it yourself and see how long it stays useful either way...

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

bert and ernie

Quote from: thewobbler on February 04, 2008, 08:43:58 PM
QuoteThere are many diverse professions within the I.T industry, I can't see Web Design being that challenging to me, I just have never done it
There are only three possible outcomes to this job, bert and ernie:

1. You don't do it.
2. You make a complete mess of it and walk away, leaving one more half-arsed, unneeded, unmaintained website floating around on cyberspace until your host pulls it.
3. You make a complete mess of it, but over the course of a couple of years and a couple of rebuilds, you work out how to do things right and make something worthwhile.

The third one is the outshot, by the way.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

take_yer_points

I have a copy of dreamweaver I got from a torrent site - I don't mind forwarding it to you if you PM me your details.

heganboy

« Last Edit: Today at 02:17:07 AM by bert and ernie »
really disappointed i wasn't up in time to read the original response

quite computer literate kids nowadays eh?

bert and ernie

Quote from: heganboy on February 05, 2008, 01:09:14 PM
« Last Edit: Today at 02:17:07 AM by bert and ernie »
really disappointed i wasn't up in time to read the original response

quite computer literate kids nowadays eh?

My original post ended .... as you have no idea of my technical ability or what I do for a living!!  Issues with that?

Edit, the last edit was 7.17am - so you must think you are achieving something by changing it to 2.17am.  ::)

heganboy

My original post ended .... as you have no idea of my technical ability or what I do for a living!!  Issues with that?

Thanks- much better! no issues- but damn curious

thejuice

building a GAA related website. Got a domain and host with GoDaddy. Have the graphics/images/logos I created ready but I don't know how I get them up to a point where they are visible online.

Any clues?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Arthur_Friend

Use Wordpress, its by far the simplest and easiest to use. You should be able to plug it straight in from the control panel page from your host provider.

Than all you have to do is search for a theme and then load it up. Then add your content. Its very simple to fire up a webpage these days.

You can google for free themes or get a premium one for not very much prob around $50