The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: tiempo on June 08, 2017, 09:48:14 AM
The problem Liverpool etc. have regards VVD is that they didn't have the balls to buy him 18 months ago from Celtic when it was glaringly obvious he would be a perfect fit for a top 6 club. He was lording it in Scotland - ok not much of a barometer, but it was so clear that he had the attributes and ability to perform at the top level.

Now those clubs face paying Southampton £50m instread of the £10m to Celtic. It is a complete failure in the top clubs scouting networks to miss a player like VVD, and complete snobbery not to take a player from the Scottish league.

I can't see how he is worth anything remotely near £50m. It is said that the hardest thing to do in football is put the ball in the net, for £50m I'd be expecting 10+ goals from a defender, 20+ from a midfielder, and 30+ from a striker.

Liverpool now need to go back to the drawing board and find the next VVD from wherever. Proper talent acquisition at a price that constitutes value for money. They need to buy two £20m players and a £10m player for their first team by doing the hard yards scouting and putting their faith in someone with an eye for talent, not Ian Eyre or anyone of that ilk - utter mugs. But they love having their pants ripped down by mid table clubs and there is nothing to suggest the trend is about to end.

For £50m a player should be coming in and making a world of difference to a team, literally climbing 2 league positions for a team like Liverpool in their current state and adding leadership to the squad. VD is still a fantastic prospect but not the finished article, playing alongside Lovern and the likes wont do much for him, he needs a £30m defender in beside him to make him a £40m defender.

Last word reserved for the most over-rated player of the current generation, Pogba. This guy is a show pony and an absolute criminal waste of money on Utd part - thats if you can make peace in the first place with any club buying a meat suit for any amount of millions nevermind £90m! Like I said those huge transfer fees should guarantee goals, alas Pogba bagged 5 in a truely pathetic first season.

I am going to go ahead and assume you never played a minute in a defence, any goal you get from a back is a bonus, VVD is a tremendous centre back and he jib first and foremist would have been to bolster greatly a weak Liverpool defence, he would have easily done that but liverpool should be ashamed of themselves for the way they handled this debacle.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

TabClear

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on June 08, 2017, 01:26:22 PM
Solanke seems to be doing a job for England at the U20 World Cup

He won player of the tournament. Previous winners of the award include Diego Maradona, Lionel Messi, Luis Figo, Sergio Aguero and Paul Pogba. I d take the first 4 to Anfield anyway. ..

heganboy

And while Mbappe would be a great buy, I don't see Liverpool paying the ask. Maybe I'm just resigned to the same auld summer of dashed hopes.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Boycey

Quote from: TabClear on June 11, 2017, 08:18:48 PM

He won player of the tournament. Previous winners of the award include Diego Maradona, Lionel Messi, Luis Figo, Sergio Aguero and Paul Pogba. I d take the first 4 to Anfield anyway. ..

Aye that Pogba would never get in Liverpool side..

Capt Pat

Quote from: Boycey on June 11, 2017, 09:31:45 PM

Aye that Pogba would never get in Liverpool side..

That would be funny if it wasn't almost true.

Hound

I was going to say you missed Anthony Le Tallec from that list. But it was the U17 World Cup where he was the best player and Florent Sinama Pongolle was top scorer.

Incidentally both are 32 now; TLT is a free agent with the expiry of his contract at Greek side Atromitos, and FSP is playing in the Thai 2nd division (17 goals in 15 games)!

stew

The problem Liverpool etc. have regards VVD is that they didn't have the balls to buy him 18 months ago from Celtic when it was glaringly obvious he would be a perfect fit for a top 6 club. He was lording it in Scotland - ok not much of a barometer, but it was so clear that he had the attributes and ability to perform at the top level.

Now those clubs face paying Southampton £50m instread of the £10m to Celtic. It is a complete failure in the top clubs scouting networks to miss a player like VVD, and complete snobbery not to take a player from the Scottish league.

I can't see how he is worth anything remotely near £50m. It is said that the hardest thing to do in football is put the ball in the net, for £50m I'd be expecting 10+ goals from a defender, 20+ from a midfielder, and 30+ from a striker.

Liverpool now need to go back to the drawing board and find the next VVD from wherever. Proper talent acquisition at a price that constitutes value for money. They need to buy two £20m players and a £10m player for their first team by doing the hard yards scouting and putting their faith in someone with an eye for talent, not Ian Eyre or anyone of that ilk - utter mugs. But they love having their pants ripped down by mid table clubs and there is nothing to suggest the trend is about to end.

For £50m a player should be coming in and making a world of difference to a team, literally climbing 2 league positions for a team like Liverpool in their current state and adding leadership to the squad. VD is still a fantastic prospect but not the finished article, playing alongside Lovern and the likes wont do much for him, he needs a £30m defender in beside him to make him a £40m defender.

Last word reserved for the most over-rated player of the current generation, Pogba. This guy is a show pony and an absolute criminal waste of money on Utd part - thats if you can make peace in the first place with any club buying a meat suit for any amount of millions nevermind £90m! Like I said those huge transfer fees should guarantee goals, alas Pogba bagged 5 in a truely pathetic first season.

You have no idea how to look at a footballer if you think Pogba is nothing more than a show pony, he is nowhere near his best and is still a very young man and if United sell him on four years from now they will have made a fortune on him, he is a tremendous footballer and had a very good season stat wise but hey, you know best! ::) ::) ::) ::) :-[ :-[ :-[ :-\ :-\
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: stew on June 12, 2017, 09:03:42 AM

You have no idea how to look at a footballer if you think Pogba is nothing more than a show pony, he is nowhere near his best and is still a very young man and if United sell him on four years from now they will have made a fortune on him, he is a tremendous footballer and had a very good season stat wise but hey, you know best! ::) ::) ::) ::) :-[ :-[ :-[ :-\ :-\

the above however nicely sidesteps the fact that Manu sold him for £4million and then bought him back for £89million, but you fill yer boots chap  ;D ;D ;D

TabClear

Quote from: Hound on June 12, 2017, 09:03:24 AM

I was going to say you missed Anthony Le Tallec from that list. But it was the U17 World Cup where he was the best player and Florent Sinama Pongolle was top scorer.

Incidentally both are 32 now; TLT is a free agent with the expiry of his contract at Greek side Atromitos, and FSP is playing in the Thai 2nd division (17 goals in 15 games)!

Lol I was being selective with my names. Having taken another look at it there are some other  big names in there. Adriano, Saviola, Keita. Adama Traore was the winner in 2015.

I remember when FSP & ALT came into Liverpool, really thought they would do the business.  Pongo to be fair got some important goals In 2005 I think but they never really cut it at the top level.

blewuporstuffed

I dont see Solanke going on to be a world beater, but for 3m quid, he is certainly worth a  punt and could be a valuable squad player.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

laoislad

So according to some journalists Klopp has met with representatives of Mbappe.
All one big f**king smokescreen if you ask me. The club would never spend that sort of money and why would he go to Liverpool when Madrid are interested.
In reality we'll end up with some cnut like Troy Deeney or similar but the club can say they tried for the bigger names knowing full well they were never going to sign them anyway!
They won't spend the few extra million on Salah ffs.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

TabClear

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 12, 2017, 11:02:50 AM
I dont see Solanke going on to be a world beater, but for 3m quid, he is certainly worth a  punt and could be a valuable squad player.

Agreed. Although he clearly has issues with being a "squad player" so up to him to give Klopp a selection headache by performing.

Mbappe will never happen. 

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: laoislad on June 12, 2017, 11:19:17 AM
So according to some journalists Klopp has met with representatives of Mbappe.
All one big f**king smokescreen if you ask me. The club would never spend that sort of money and why would he go to Liverpool when Madrid are interested.
In reality we'll end up with some cnut like Troy Deeney or similar but the club can say they tried for the bigger names knowing full well they were never going to sign them anyway!
They won't spend the few extra million on Salah ffs.

Cant see this one happeming.
Just another in a  long line of rumours during silly season.
VVD would have been the big signing Klopp wanted and they have made a pigs ear of that one.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

laoislad

Away to Watford for the first game of our title winning season.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

Brighton at home for the victory lap of honour.