China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Two Italians doctors/scientists have reported the virus is weakening which should be massive news

larryin89

Quote from: Taylor on June 01, 2020, 08:04:11 PM
Two Italians doctors/scientists have reported the virus is weakening which should be massive news

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2020/06/coronavirus-losing-potency-top-italian-doctor-200601044959952.html

Yep was just reading that seems very encouraging
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

larryin89

Quote from: Square Ball on June 01, 2020, 08:36:24 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on June 01, 2020, 08:17:38 PM

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2020/06/coronavirus-losing-potency-top-italian-doctor-200601044959952.html

Was reading the same story from a different paper

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8376105/Is-Covid-19-really-potent.html

Mad isn't it , like who the hell do you believe . Social distancing is near out the window at this stage in Ireland , I'm looking at it all weekend , hundreds gathering , thousands today in Dublin City centre protesting . Be an interesting few weeks .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

RadioGAAGAA

That is *normally* what happens to viruses when they mutate.

However, this is very much a double edge sword. If its starting to mutate, it could mutate in a worse direction as well... if it starts to become genetically agile whilst maintaining, or even increasing, lethality it could also throw out all hopes of an effective vaccine too.

Decidedly mixed feelings on this.

On one side is the economic damage of keeping things shuttered, on the other the danger of opening up too soon and allowing the virus further chances to dangerously mutate.

On the above, I would balance in favour of the economy - you can't prove something doesn't exist and no point continuing the car crash economy trying to. BUT - that does not mean reopening immediately as we are still dealing with the original form of it (has that new form even spread from Italy to Ireland yet? No guarantee what is on the island will mutate in the same fashion).
i usse an speelchekor

trailer

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on June 01, 2020, 08:52:16 PM

That is *normally* what happens to viruses when they mutate.

However, this is very much a double edge sword. If its starting to mutate, it could mutate in a worse direction as well... if it starts to become genetically agile whilst maintaining, or even increasing, lethality it could also throw out all hopes of an effective vaccine too.

Decidedly mixed feelings on this.

On one side is the economic damage of keeping things shuttered, on the other the danger of opening up too soon and allowing the virus further chances to dangerously mutate.

On the above, I would balance in favour of the economy - you can't prove something doesn't exist and no point continuing the car crash economy trying to. BUT - that does not mean reopening immediately as we are still dealing with the original form of it (has that new form even spread from Italy to Ireland yet? No guarantee what is on the island will mutate in the same fashion).

The virus wants to live. Killing it's hosts isn't the way to do that.

Itchy

Quote from: larryin89 on June 01, 2020, 08:48:23 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on June 01, 2020, 08:36:24 PM

Was reading the same story from a different paper

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8376105/Is-Covid-19-really-potent.html

Mad isn't it , like who the hell do you believe . Social distancing is near out the window at this stage in Ireland , I'm looking at it all weekend , hundreds gathering , thousands today in Dublin City centre protesting . Be an interesting few weeks .

Earlier in this thread i praised the restraint I was seeing at my local beach but this weekend it all went out the window. Thronged with people, no social distancing and no guards. I hope it is weakening as the reports above suggest as the masses are losing patience

armaghniac

Quote from: Itchy on June 01, 2020, 09:19:32 PM
Earlier in this thread i praised the restraint I was seeing at my local beach but this weekend it all went out the window. Thronged with people, no social distancing and no guards. I hope it is weakening as the reports above suggest as the masses are losing patience

The Guards facilitated thousands gathering in Dublin today, which was obviously agreed in some way by the government. The British government lost the battle with Cummings, the Irish government did so today. They had a mixed performance until this but they have chosen to throw it away  :(
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thewobbler

Quote from: armaghniac on June 01, 2020, 09:27:25 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 01, 2020, 09:19:32 PM

The Guards facilitated thousands gathering in Dublin today, which was obviously agreed in some way by the government. The British government lost the battle with Cummings, the Irish government did so today. They had a mixed performance until this but they have chosen to throw it away  :(

My only question here. At what covid levels would you consider it okay, and then highly satisfactory,  for the Irish Government to ignore a mass gathering?

Do they need to wait for no new cases for a day? No deaths for a week?

Not saying you're wrong by the way. I just don't think there is a right answer on this one.

From the Bunker

To quote the Shawshank Redemption

''Get busy living, or get busy dying."

"I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged."

Smurfy123

Thousands in Dublin marching yesterday which got the go ahead from the government.
Hundreds upon hundreds of youngsters gathering at beaches beauty spots yesterday in the north.
Now this is the reason that we need to get kids back to school and people back to work. To many people lying around doing nothing. A local park near me was bunged yesterday.
And suppose I'm contradicting myself here but the chances of getting Covid outside is as follows
2 metres = 1.3%
1 metre = 2.6%
No social distancing = 13%

HiMucker

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 02, 2020, 09:51:06 AM
Thousands in Dublin marching yesterday which got the go ahead from the government.
Hundreds upon hundreds of youngsters gathering at beaches beauty spots yesterday in the north.
Now this is the reason that we need to get kids back to school and people back to work. To many people lying around doing nothing. A local park near me was bunged yesterday.
And suppose I'm contradicting myself here but the chances of getting Covid outside is as follows
2 metres = 1.3%
1 metre = 2.6%
No social distancing = 13%

Where did you get these figures?

GetOverTheBar

It was only a matter of time really, people did do their best for 10-12 weeks but the lockdown is over, pictures over the last few days pretty much confirm it both sides of the border. Once people see X do it, they will down tools too.

What can be done now realistically?

Obviously Govts are going to be worried about opening all up too soon, they'll drag it all out as long as they can but that's really the only play they have left I suppose in a round about way to enforce distancing but they know time is ticking on that.

But then that will lead to more ridiculous scenes on beaches etc (providing weather keeps). You wonder what is the point of cutting off your nose to spite your face really.

Smurfy123

As you say hey we all done our bit for 10-12 weeks and people are now getting fed up. With beaches and parks open it was always going to happen with no where else to go
Now a better strategy would have been maybe open up more things and spread the load if you know what I mean. More shops open means instead of everyone gathering to parks and beaches people would have went shopping. Just a thought.
People need to get back to work if they have any
It maybe late in the year now but I still think schools should be open at a 40% capacity
GAA pitches is also massive and should open for kids to go for a kickabout.
The big thing now is the social distance. Everyone needs to just be aware of what's around them

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: trailer on June 01, 2020, 09:15:21 PM
The virus wants to live. Killing it's hosts isn't the way to do that.

Yes and no. Killing its hosts so quickly that it cannot pass on isn't the way to do that.

After passing on to enough people, it doesn't really matter about the original host.
i usse an speelchekor