Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

QuoteBut IF Crozier hadnt have played for the minors that day, and IF CJ hadnt played for La Salle, Antrim would have won last years Ulster u-21 c`ship. They ran the winners Tyrone, to two points(one highly disputed) in Omagh in the semi-final.

Im sure that maybe they might have made a difference, but can you honestly say that they would have beaten tyrone.  Tyrone would have raised their game, they definitely went into that game with a sense of arrogance!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

saffron sam2

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 08, 2007, 02:33:48 PM
QuoteBut IF Crozier hadnt have played for the minors that day, and IF CJ hadnt played for La Salle, Antrim would have won last years Ulster u-21 c`ship. They ran the winners Tyrone, to two points(one highly disputed) in Omagh in the semi-final.

Im sure that maybe they might have made a difference, but can you honestly say that they would have beaten tyrone.  Tyrone would have raised their game, they definitely went into that game with a sense of arrogance!
Crozier and McGourty both played for Antrim minors in some whackfuckery Minor League match rather than the under-21 championship match.  Antrim may or may not have beaten Tyrone had both played for the under-21s.

However, I would expect both to make Antrim's first fifteen for the Senior championship this year.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Maximus Marillius

QuoteMarch 2006 he had none of those medals, March 2007 he has the 3 of them.

Its a good year for any footballer, for an antrim footballer...well...its a minor miracle :o :o....I believe, I believe :D

Lads I was just thinking, its going to be some craic here the week before and after the senior championship match

SlimShady

Quote from: saffron sam2 on March 08, 2007, 02:49:10 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on March 08, 2007, 02:33:48 PM

Crozier and McGourty both played for Antrim minors in some whackfuckery Minor League match rather than the under-21 championship match.  Antrim may or may not have beaten Tyrone had both played for the under-21s.

However, I would expect both to make Antrim's first fifteen for the Senior championship this year.

it wasnt their fault Sam, the all knowing johnjoe will tell you that as he knows all the goings on regarding that saga  ;) ;) wink wink nudge nudge

johnjoe

Nrico, Two full sides at Casement, no doubt Antrim would have won. But thats only an opinion, something we will never know. The players themselves know that, and thats the main thing. Their day will come.
But it still makes me sick to know that our first Ulster title in years was fucked up by a mixture of ignorance by certain selectors, and officialdom who still cant face up to the fact.

Bottom line is the match was lost off the field. Thats my opinion and sorry, but it will never change. Now, as Syd said yesterday, we must put it behind us and hopefully that group will put it right for themselves in future years.

nrico2006

Johnjoe, , stating that they would win, no doubt isexpressing a certain amount of certainty around antrims chances of beating tyrone at casement.  I simply believe that Tyrone players would have raised their game if need be.  Do you think that antrims u-21 side this year will challenge Tyrones then?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

johnjoe

Wouldnt be right of me to cast aspersions on this years side, and maybe i am a bit biased, as Slim will know, but last years team was our best chance for a long time, and certain people managed to completely screw it up.

Question is, how many St Johns players will make the starting 15 this year, and more importantly, how many should?

SlimShady

yes, Slim knows 'johnjoes' side of the story  ;)

it took me a while to work out if it was definitely you but now i'm sure!!

Syd The Sailor

Antrim 1-10 Wexford 2-14 Was it as bad as the scoreline suggests?
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

Square Ball

Anyone there who can post a report?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Syd The Sailor

We got our goal at the death to give the scoreline some semblance of respectability......I was gonna say its gonna be a long season but i think it will actually be pretty short !!!!

milltown row

yeah, and after Derry's win today a lot of lads will head of for the summer earlier than normal

johnjoe

Said it before and I`ll say it again.

If you were compiling a list of our best 10 or 12 players in the county, all or most of the followiing would be on that list.

In no particular order, Convery, Mc Gourty, O`Boyle, Micko, O`Boyle again, Kelly, Magill., and Andy Mc Clean. Then there is Crozier and young CJ. Theres 10 would be on my county team.

I know theres all sorts of reasons why the above werent available yesterday, but the facts are we are a pretty poor outfit without them. If I were Jody, I know what my priorities would be over the next few weeks.

Plus, I would be sitting down with players and getting them to state, or sign up, to their position on going to the States, to avoid last years debacle of guys playing on a saturday, knowing if they were beaten they were off to Boston or somewhere within a few hours.

Looks like the white flag was thrown in again yesterday, thats the sad thing!

johnjoe

Anyone know when is the Antrim v Derry under 21 game, and where?

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: johnjoe on March 12, 2007, 10:10:27 AM
Said it before and I`ll say it again.

If you were compiling a list of our best 10 or 12 players in the county, all or most of the followiing would be on that list.

In no particular order, Convery, Mc Gourty, O`Boyle, Micko, O`Boyle again, Kelly, Magill., and Andy Mc Clean. Then there is Crozier and young CJ. Theres 10 would be on my county team.

I agree with what you are saying but some people think we are gonna automatically win Sam if we get these players back. Quite a few of the lads you have mentioned were playing last year against Clare in the qualifiers and we all know what happened there......