Time of the games on Saturday in Croker

Started by Unlaoised, March 27, 2018, 09:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Each to their own Seanie, but playing in an exhibition match (which is what it is, as both teams have already gained promotion) in front of an empty stadium, surely isn't a career highlight for anyone.

AZOffaly

Quote from: thewobbler on March 27, 2018, 12:41:14 PM
Each to their own Seanie, but playing in an exhibition match (which is what it is, as both teams have already gained promotion) in front of an empty stadium, surely isn't a career highlight for anyone.

I agree with Seanie. I played in Croker, and it wasn't exactly packed to the rafters, and I am delighted I got the chance to.

And this was before it was a super duper stadium!

Rossfan

Not letting Carlow or Fermanagh play a National Final in Croke Park is hardly promoting the game in those 2 Counties.
Not many go to the Inter and Junior club AI Finals or the Rackard
/ Ring Finals so should they be ran out of Croker too?

Even if only 7k turn up isn't it still best part of €100k on the gate plus programme sales, drinks and shops etc.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

laoislad

Well I'm taking the youngfella with me on Saturday to his first ever game in Croke Park and I can't feckin wait.
I don't care if its only the two of us at it.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Syferus

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 27, 2018, 12:29:02 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 27, 2018, 12:03:28 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 27, 2018, 11:54:09 AM
National Finals should be in HQ.

Or do some of ye want it to be used for rubby and stick Carlow into one of the 3 worst County Grounds in the Country.
Disappointed in you Dinny :'(

I get the whole arguement about playing it in CP but it does nothing, zero to promote the game. Since you bizarrely brought rugby into it, the same day Thomand Park is sold out, 27k Munster fans which game will have the better atmosphere and better optics and therefore better promotion.

The GAA is a sporting organisation. Commercial and business concerns should never be the main drivers of our focus. Pro sports have to put those things first as they have many mouths to feed. We in the GAA need to focus on the sport, the games themselves and league finals should be in Croke Park. When Sligo won a league final there a while back it mattered not one shite to us that the ground wasn't full.

Personally I'd love to play a game on that pitch even if it was only watched by seagulls.

You don't have to go there two or three times a year like we do, though.

Fuzzman

The players are the important ones here and they love getting to Croke park for any sort of a game. For many it might the only chance they get to play there so I think it makes sense to reward them in this way.

I remember my first league final in 1992 v Derry.
I was very excited getting to Croker and watching Tyrone totally play Derry off the park and still lose
That was a great year for Tyrone were they beat the Dubs by a big score in their own back yard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991%E2%80%9392_National_Football_League_(Ireland)

Unlaoised

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 27, 2018, 12:29:02 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 27, 2018, 12:03:28 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 27, 2018, 11:54:09 AM
National Finals should be in HQ.

Or do some of ye want it to be used for rubby and stick Carlow into one of the 3 worst County Grounds in the Country.
Disappointed in you Dinny :'(

I get the whole arguement about playing it in CP but it does nothing, zero to promote the game. Since you bizarrely brought rugby into it, the same day Thomand Park is sold out, 27k Munster fans which game will have the better atmosphere and better optics and therefore better promotion.

The GAA is a sporting organisation. Commercial and business concerns should never be the main drivers of our focus. Pro sports have to put those things first as they have many mouths to feed. We in the GAA need to focus on the sport, the games themselves and league finals should be in Croke Park. When Sligo won a league final there a while back it mattered not one shite to us that the ground wasn't full.

Personally I'd love to play a game on that pitch even if it was only watched by seagulls.

This I don't care if there is only 1000 Laois fans there its Croker a day out and for a player magic to play there!
LAOIS ABÚ

Cunny Funt

Throw in time should have been 5pm and 7pm. Out of interest when is the last time Carlow played a senior match in Croke park?

Hound

I think the biggest problem for these games is that they are totally meaningless, bar the Division One final.

Promotion or avoiding relegation is the key. I happened to be driving on Sunday afternoon so listened to all the coverage on the radio and there were some really tense and important games with great celebrations and some heartbreak at the end as teams were playing for promotion or to avoid relegation.

Some kind of promotion/relegation playoffs would be far more entertaining that Division 2/3/4 finals which mean nothing to the teams as they've already secured promotion. (I think there was a time when teams that were level on points had to compete in playoffs rather than relying on scoring difference?)

BTW, between 2pm and 5pm on a Saturday is my ideal time for a GAA match, no matter what the venue might be. Not working on Saturday a big help of course.

thewobbler

Quote from: Hound on March 27, 2018, 03:09:26 PM
I think the biggest problem for these games is that they are totally meaningless, bar the Division One final.

Promotion or avoiding relegation is the key. I happened to be driving on Sunday afternoon so listened to all the coverage on the radio and there were some really tense and important games with great celebrations and some heartbreak at the end as teams were playing for promotion or to avoid relegation.

Some kind of promotion/relegation playoffs would be far more entertaining that Division 2/3/4 finals which mean nothing to the teams as they've already secured promotion. (I think there was a time when teams that were level on points had to compete in playoffs rather than relying on scoring difference?)

BTW, between 2pm and 5pm on a Saturday is my ideal time for a GAA match, no matter what the venue might be. Not working on Saturday a big help of course.

Watch how Dublin trudge drearily off the pitch when winning on Sunday, and then tell me it's meaningful.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: thewobbler on March 27, 2018, 03:22:46 PM

Watch how Dublin trudge drearily off the pitch when winning on Sunday, and then tell me it's meaningful.
A win on Sunday would be Dublins 5th league title in 6 years you hardly expect them celebrate like crazy. Another dour Cluxton speech can be expected while smirking Jim will tell us all that the focus is all ready on Offaly or Wicklow in the Leinster championship.

Syferus

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 27, 2018, 02:24:36 PM
The players are the important ones here and they love getting to Croke park for any sort of a game. For many it might the only chance they get to play there so I think it makes sense to reward them in this way.

I remember my first league final in 1992 v Derry.
I was very excited getting to Croker and watching Tyrone totally play Derry off the park and still lose
That was a great year for Tyrone were they beat the Dubs by a big score in their own back yard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991%E2%80%9392_National_Football_League_(Ireland)

Players are important but beyond a ground having basic standards it's about getting bums in seats and the supporters. Beyond AI finals and I guess maybe league finals, too many meaningless games are hosted in Croke Park. The players liking it doesn't change that.

thewobbler

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 27, 2018, 03:40:03 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 27, 2018, 03:22:46 PM

A win on Sunday would be Dublins 5th league title in 6 years you hardly expect them celebrate like crazy. Another dour Cluxton speech can be expected while smirking Jim will tell us all that the focus is all ready on Offaly or Wicklow in the Leinster championship.

I do believe that Gaelic Football is the only sport on God's earth where competitors are known not celebrate winning a trophy.

Dublin's anti-celebration the past few years disgusts me.

sambostar

What about something like this for a new championship structure? Equal ability groups & then even if you win the lower division you still get a shot at the big boys in the QF?

yellowcard

I think whoever finished top of the division should have had home venue for the final. That way it would have guaranteed a big crowd with a good atmosphere. All you can hear in Croke Park in an empty stadium is the shouts from the pitch and an echoing sound.