McNamara wins Connaght player of the year

Started by SLIGONIAN, February 10, 2008, 08:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Congratulations to McNamara on winning this award. I personally think it is undeserved. Ross Donovan, Charlie Harrison or Mcguire are far more worthy winners. I have nothing against mcnamara sound lad but to me hes not good enough at Centre half back. I was at the sligo fermanagh u21 game today and my clubmates couldnt believe it. One of the lads told me then that michael o muirhertagh had him at chb in his allstar team. Him getting a nomination was enough for me to discredit the selection of these awards. One pass and one very important point in csfc final seems to able to hide is ineffectiveness in defending at chb. He was non existant in the league, against ny, ros and cork and 2 moments of effectiveness against Galway seems to cloud everyone judgement. I will say alot of sligo people at the game today agreed with me. I met mcnamara at our centenary club celebrations. I spoke to him at length about the connaght final. He was honest enough to say to me that before the sligo goal which his great pass started the move he last pass was out over the sideline. He also said he preferred playing forwards. I did say I thought he was better attacker than defender. With the ball he is decent but without it very poor. Back in 2004 he was our best forward in my opinion. Why do Sligo management continue to pick him chb? What do the Sligo posters on this board make of it...can anyone tell why hes picked chb? I just dont understand.. There is one major difference here with me and any media pundits in that the only sligo games they saw last yr was 2 whereas Im basing my opinion on 15 odd games.

Sligo beat fermanagh u21s by a point. We are very average. P wilson and gilmartin did very well at midfield but only scanlon and no10 were any good in attack. D Kelly was very poor in attack.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Tatler Jack

Congrats to McNamara though I agree he is more a forward than a back. I am delighted he decided to return to GAA and I hope he sticks with it now. I was talking to his father a couple of years back while in Sligo and got the impression he was hoping he would go back to playing Gaelic.

Owenmoresider

FYI it was Connacht Personality of the Year, selected from those who got the monthly awards last year. He got the July award due to his MOTM display in the Connacht Final, the only good game he had at CHB last year. Given the significance of 2007 for Sligo it was inevitable that it would be adknowledged in the overall award. He wasn't even Sligo's best player last year anyway.

Shrewdness

What competition were the Sligo U-21's playing Fermanagh in, or was it a challenge.

As Roscommon U-21's will be playing Sligo or Galway in this year's championship, i'm interested in what ye Sligo lads think of Sligo's U-21 set up this year. Are many or any of the Senior lads eligible for U-21 this year?

Roscommon U-21'S , boosted by 8 or 9 of the All Ireland Minor winners, plus Cregg and Kenny from the Seniors beat Longford 0-18 to 0-6 in the Hastings Cup Final over the weekend, but the championship will be a different ball game.

lynchbhoy

based on his perf for the connacht final I thought he was a damn good player.If he is not a chb, I would say that he woul dmake a good mf or chf.

SLIGONIAN

I know it personality of the year but that means player according to connaght council in a article I read, I also know that he won the july award and o hara I think won the june award. It was likely that a Sligoman would win it but just defaces it for me the award as he wasnt even top 5 performers last yr for Sligo.

McNamara played midfield for us against Galway in the FBD this yr and was very poor.

Shrewdness, Its a new competition called the North west cup , we lost 11-5 to donegal, drew with cavan 1-8 to 11 and won point against fermanagh and being totally honest Id say its more than likely ye'll be playing Galway. We are average this year at u21 level. David kelly is the only senior along P Wilson and E Mchugh who got runs in the FBD and wilson came on against Down. As much Id love to see it I be deluded to be believing they can win connaght or even beat Galway.

Lynchboy, it looks likely he'll be living off that great pass and vital point for his reputation for next couple of years.

Tatler jack, I think hes whole family are from ros so they would be GAA people rather than soccer so Id say theyre delighted he came back. Im glad he did too but wish he was put in the forwards again where he is at his best.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Rossfan

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 11, 2008, 05:19:28 PM

Tatler jack, I think hes whole family are from ros

I believe his dad is from Ros town and played for Ros in the 70s.
No wonder he's good so. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM