Sligo V Galway CSFC Markievicz Park 28 June 2009 2.00pm Throw in

Started by SLIGONIAN, May 26, 2009, 10:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Should be a cracker, looking forward to it. Galway got over London fairly easily despite joyces criticism im sure they'll up it for ourselves, but Im confident they wont be at there best, based on there declining form during the NFL and last weekend.

For me I think Ross or Charlie can keep meehan  as quiet as possible but he'll still end up with at least 5 or 6 scores, Im worried about Ewing on Joyce. I think were better than 07 and definitly last yr, with a few new additions, costello will make his CSFC bow for us. Midfield Id hope TT will step up to his potential. FF i hope sweeney is fit and raring to go with marren alongside, I expect Coen to get the nod over Kelly, and Sean Davey to start HF and work his socks off. O Hara on the other wing. Confident enough but will be tight. At least we have a free taker this time.

Brehony, McPartland, Gaughan, and kelly gives us serious options in forwards and dont be suprised should one of them make the starting 15 with some if match fit definite starters.

In defence less options. Mcgovern hopefully back to form to oust McNamara unlikely but I would put him in.

Other big question with 2 Galway teams playing will the galway fans turn up this time?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Mano

Good to see Brehony back playing at the weekend for Mary's. He could be an option for a corner forward slot if fully fit. O'Hara is a doubt after pulling his hammer again which would be a serious blow to our chances.
Can't see Ewing playing too light and inexperienced. Phillips will play centre back i think.

Can't read too much into Galway's display against London. They did what they had to do without much fuss and could have won by a bigger margin if they took all their goal chances. They will be much better fot the next game.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on May 26, 2009, 11:06:06 AM
Good to see Brehony back playing at the weekend for Mary's. He could be an option for a corner forward slot if fully fit. O'Hara is a doubt after pulling his hammer again which would be a serious blow to our chances.
Can't see Ewing playing too light and inexperienced. Phillips will play centre back i think.

Can't read too much into Galway's display against London. They did what they had to do without much fuss and could have won by a bigger margin if they took all their goal chances. They will be much better fot the next game.

:-[, not good news.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: mckieran on May 26, 2009, 10:58:28 AM
Yeah, sorry, I meant in the championship.

Whens the last time Sligo had back to back wins over Galway in the championship, I'd say you would have to be going back a while for that.

Last year, a few rossies were saying they fancied an upset against us too.

We are better than Roscommon at Senior, i think we have some justification for optimism this yr, last yr they had none, the first half of that match was the worst football id seen in a long time which kept ros in it at HT.

If your from Sligo, looking back into the past, all you will find is pain and suffering, simple as that, the programme will show all our previous meetings, with ourselves and ye and obviously we have a bad record, it can effect the mental side so Id advise the players to stay away from that. Back to back who cares i say, the past is in the past, all that exists is here and now and on the day we have every chance. Its the only way we'll break out the patterns of the past to know that all that exists is the present and focus on that, every ball, every moment of match, every altercation, every shot, every pass, every tackle, every block. These players have beaten Galway before and know they can do it again as ive said.

ross matt

Think Sligo under Kevin Walsh will be very well organised and tactically astute against Galway. But the tribesmen are light years better than the outfit that conceeded the 2007 Connacht Final under Forde. They have too much quality for Sligo. Roscommon are at least 2 years from being the competitive senior side Fergie will turn them in to. Mayo should have the u-21 talent coming through. It's betweem them and Galway....again :(

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ross matt on May 26, 2009, 03:16:34 PM
Think Sligo under Kevin Walsh will be very well organised and tactically astute against Galway. But the tribesmen are light years better than the outfit that conceeded the 2007 Connacht Final under Forde. They have too much quality for Sligo. Roscommon are at least 2 years from being the competitive senior side Fergie will turn them in to. Mayo should have the u-21 talent coming through. It's betweem them and Galway....again :(

Under Forde being the operative word. When he was in charge in 2007 we were stuggling to score over 0-10 in a game such was the way he had the team set out. At least now I'm fairly confident we will rack up a big score against most teams. It won't always be enough to win every game like against Kerry last year but it should be enough to get over most hurdles.

ross matt

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 26, 2009, 03:38:00 PM

Under Forde being the operative word. When he was in charge in 2007 we were stuggling to score over 0-10 in a game such was the way he had the team set out. At least now I'm fairly confident we will rack up a big score against most teams. It won't always be enough to win every game like against Kerry last year but it should be enough to get over most hurdles.

Agreed GBB. Sammon has them playing an attractive brand of football that usually yields high scores. Whereas Forde had turned them in to a very dour side with little creativity. But unless they want to come up short against the likes of Kerry again later in the summer they'll have to produce a game plan that's somewhere in between that of the current and previous manager.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ross matt on May 26, 2009, 03:47:37 PM

Agreed GBB. Sammon has them playing an attractive brand of football that usually yields high scores. Whereas Forde had turned them in to a very dour side with little creativity. But unless they want to come up short against the likes of Kerry again later in the summer they'll have to produce a game plan that's somewhere in between that of the current and previous manager.

True you can't really go into a game against Kerry expecting to win a shootout with them. You have to have some kind of gameplan to restrict them and even though Sammon has done a lot of good in a purely footballing sense I'm not sure if he's the type to go out looking to implement a gameplan to stop other teams from playing.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on May 26, 2009, 06:22:44 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 26, 2009, 12:25:12 PM

We are better than Roscommon at Senior,

Jaysus they win a Div 4 League and this starts. :o >:(

In all fairness it is Sligonian though...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Rossfan on May 26, 2009, 06:35:27 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 26, 2009, 06:24:54 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 26, 2009, 06:22:44 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 26, 2009, 12:25:12 PM

We are better than Roscommon at Senior,

Jaysus they win a Div 4 League and this starts. :o >:(

In all fairness it is Sligonian though...

;D ;D ;D ;D

It never takes long for the mayo kids to come on board and start the childish immature Sligonian slagging, grow up ffs, Do want to ruin another thread?

What i said is factual we are, its no big deal, we are 3rd best team in Connacht at the minute :o , very arrogant statement by me ::). Ros were terrrible last few yrs at senior, im still not convinced by them, ye stayed up by default in div3 besause of yer win over a managerless offaly and longford without kavanagh, ye even played limerick minus there club champions contingent and still lost and still only stayed up on pts diff, then mulligan gets injured for leitrim, the Gods are definitly smiling on yee, roll with it ;). Alot of rossies would agree, and arent too confident by the looks of SS about Sunday.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 26, 2009, 04:13:25 PM
Quote from: ross matt on May 26, 2009, 03:47:37 PM

True you can't really go into a game against Kerry expecting to win a shootout with them. You have to have some kind of gameplan to restrict them and even though Sammon has done a lot of good in a purely footballing sense I'm not sure if he's the type to go out looking to implement a gameplan to stop other teams from playing.

Fair points, Galway will be better than 07 no doubt, in fairness they couldnt be worse. Under forde galway did score 0-19 against us in Salthill in 06, so it wasnt all bad, I think people have got ahead of themselves with regards Sammon, 2nd yr is always harder and im not convinced Galway have kicked on from last yr performance against Kerry like there early league form suggested.

SLIGONIAN

Donegal 1-11 Sligo 2-12 not 100% sure of score but we won by 4pts according to my source,

We started slow 1-4 to 0-0 down, Team was Greene, Donovan, Phillips, Harrison, Mgovern, Ewing, McNamara, Mullen, Colleary, Scanlon, BREHENY, S Davey, Gaughan, Marren, Kelly,

Sweeney came on and scored 1-2, John mcpartland came on, J davey, mcguire... we looked sharp and are flying fitness wise but dont take this result too seriously.  Good to see breheny back and mcpartland, and sweeney back aswell. Mcgovern, Donovan, S Davey supposed of played very well, Breheny did well aswell according to my source.

SLIGONIAN

Nicky Joyce axed good news for us, no doubt but Galway are still hot Favourites.