Mormon temples

Started by Eamonnca1, May 28, 2019, 05:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Mormon temples aren't open to non-Mormons - except for yesterday when the Oakland temple was opened for tours by the public. I went with some family and friends (some of them former Mormons) just out of curiosity because it's an impressive looking building from the outside.

Well inside it's just and endless labyrinth of corridors, smallish rooms, more corridors, cramped staircases, more corridors, and strikingly dull decor. It's like a cheap and tacky middle eastern hotel inside. I was expecting to see a big cathedral-like worship space, but all I got was some bland looking auditoriums roughly the size of a college lecture theatre. There was a cool looking baptismal font, something the size of a hot tub, supported by big statues of bulls, but that was about the most impressive thing about it. Everything else was just dull or outright weird.

These include:

• Tons of changing cubicles with multiple clothing storage lockers in each one
  • Storage for white robes that people are supposed to wear during certain ceremonies like baptism (they go for the full immersion version, hence the hot tub)
  • Small and dull rooms where they perform "marriages" (they don't call them weddings for some reason) and there's a small altar at the middle of the room where the couple kneels opposite each other
  • Code violations left right and centre. There's no emergency exit signs despite it being confusing where is the way out, I saw no signs of any sprinkler systems, no emergency lights, and stairs are non standard dimensions
  • All the decor such as carpet is custom-made in a specific pattern, but it still looks like something out of a hotel
  • There's one auditorium with a curtain behind the stage. They didn't tell us what that's for, but my former Mormon friend told me it's where you reach through to the people hiding behind the curtain and they give you the Freemason-style secret handshake which you're supposed to use when you get to heaven

What I found most striking is that it's high on a hill with a stunning view over Oakland, the bay, and San Francisco looking out through the Golden Gate - and there's not one single window in the whole damn building. They have these rooms where you're supposed to go and supposedly meditate or something, contemplating the grandeur of God's creation, but you can't look out a window at one of the best views ever.

An interesting day out, but weird.

Rossfan

Sounds like a Religion Yanks would invent alright  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rosnarun

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 28, 2019, 05:31:44 PM
Mormon temples aren't open to non-Mormons - except for yesterday when the Oakland temple was opened for tours by the public. I went with some family and friends (some of them former Mormons) just out of curiosity because it's an impressive looking building from the outside.

Well inside it's just and endless labyrinth of corridors, smallish rooms, more corridors, cramped staircases, more corridors, and strikingly dull decor. It's like a cheap and tacky middle eastern hotel inside. I was expecting to see a big cathedral-like worship space, but all I got was some bland looking auditoriums roughly the size of a college lecture theatre. There was a cool looking baptismal font, something the size of a hot tub, supported by big statues of bulls, but that was about the most impressive thing about it. Everything else was just dull or outright weird.

These include:

• Tons of changing cubicles with multiple clothing storage lockers in each one
  • Storage for white robes that people are supposed to wear during certain ceremonies like baptism (they go for the full immersion version, hence the hot tub)
  • Small and dull rooms where they perform "marriages" (they don't call them weddings for some reason) and there's a small altar at the middle of the room where the couple kneels opposite each other
  • Code violations left right and centre. There's no emergency exit signs despite it being confusing where is the way out, I saw no signs of any sprinkler systems, no emergency lights, and stairs are non standard dimensions
  • All the decor such as carpet is custom-made in a specific pattern, but it still looks like something out of a hotel
  • There's one auditorium with a curtain behind the stage. They didn't tell us what that's for, but my former Mormon friend told me it's where you reach through to the people hiding behind the curtain and they give you the Freemason-style secret handshake which you're supposed to use when you get to heaven

What I found most striking is that it's high on a hill with a stunning view over Oakland, the bay, and San Francisco looking out through the Golden Gate - and there's not one single window in the whole damn building. They have these rooms where you're supposed to go and supposedly meditate or something, contemplating the grandeur of God's creation, but you can't look out a window at one of the best views ever.

An interesting day out, but weird.
while I agree that their belief sys tem seem very making uppy and laughable at time  with tales of lost gold plates  and  translation that could only be read by one man , suspect racial beliefs and set up by a convicted co  man. they seem to produce well principled rounded family oriented peaceful people.
while far from perfect the world is probably a better place with them in it
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

omaghjoe

A view over Oakland is one of the best views ever?

Eamonnca1

omaghjoe

You really think a few dock cranes and a rickety old bridge constitutes one of the best views ever?

Eamonnca1

A rickety old bridge?

Plus San Francisco Bay and the city skyline? Yeah, I think it's a decent view.

omaghjoe

A decent skyline maybe but one of the best views ever...I suppose it is a marginal improvement on a Lurganese roundabout

Eamonnca1

Quote from: rosnarun on May 29, 2019, 02:59:50 PM
while far from perfect the world is probably a better place with them in it

Funny enough, I've never met a Mormon that I didn't like. Maybe that's because most of the ones I've met are refugees who moved from Utah to California.

Puckoon

Individually they are some of the nicest people I've ever known. Generous and thoughtful.

As a religion they are no crazier than the catholics or other christian sects. It's just funny that they wear special underwear.

Jeepers Creepers

Bring a Mormon to Lough Derg for the weekend and then let them battle it out for strangeness!

Keyser soze

This thread must be the ultimate demonstration of how some hoors could try to start a row over nothing in an empty house.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Puckoon on May 29, 2019, 06:39:17 PM
Individually they are some of the nicest people I've ever known. Generous and thoughtful.

As a religion they are no crazier than the catholics or other christian sects. It's just funny that they wear special underwear.

Irish mammies heaven ;D

Tubberman

Worked with some Mormons a good few years ago - very friendly people, to the point where I wondered if it was put on (but that was probably my Irish cynicism).
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

J70

I've a relative who lived in Salt Lake City for a number of years. Thought they were nicest, friendliest people.