Road racing

Started by ExiledGael, June 08, 2007, 05:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExiledGael

One rider and two spectators have been killed at the Isle of Man TT today.
It's a sport I have very little knowledge of but how can it continue as a spectator sport with tragedies like this happening

SuperMac

I ride a bike and I've gone to watch road races, will probably be at Skerries in a few weeks. Obviously for the riders it's extremely dangerous, I don't know how they do it. The fellas in cars are only pancy's compared to them if you ask me. But, spectator safety is something I've always wondered about too. I mean, when their racing down the road, people are sitting on a stone wall with their legs dangling over it as a group of say 10 riders jossling with one another fly by at 130 mph !!!! Does it ever occur to the people themselves and the organisers that in a mishap a few of them might be going home minus their legs ????
Having said that, it is thrilling to watch. Every man to his own poison.

J70

Bunch of idiots if you ask me. This type of accident happens fairly frequently at the Isle of Man TT as well. Anyone who rides a bike at those high speeds is asking for it, and many end up getting it. All it takes is one slip, and you, and perhaps other unfortunates in your path, are done.

Tonto

Quote from: J70 on June 08, 2007, 11:30:36 PM
Bunch of idiots if you ask me. This type of accident happens fairly frequently at the Isle of Man TT as well. Anyone who rides a bike at those high speeds is asking for it, and many end up getting it. All it takes is one slip, and you, and perhaps other unfortunates in your path, are done.

That's very true and I've thought and argued before that it should be banned.

But at the end of the day, people should probably be allowed to take part in the activity that they want to.  There's no point in the state denying anyone's right to do what they want when it's (usually) only their own life that they put in danger.  That, I think, would have a far greater outcry, if the state wanted to wrap us all in cotton wool.

RIP.