Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddyjohn

Quote from: hardstation on November 02, 2017, 10:48:59 AM
Quote from: paddyjohn on November 02, 2017, 10:47:43 AM
Quote from: longballin on November 02, 2017, 10:44:34 AM
Quote from: paddyjohn on November 02, 2017, 10:41:55 AM
Quote from: longballin on November 02, 2017, 10:16:57 AM
Brolly has some go at Creggan in Gaelic Life today.

Link?

I dont know bout link... i bought it

Some of us don't have the time to visit shops before work lol
Aye, rushing in to read stuff online.

More like trying to make in here on time..

Kickham csc

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 02, 2017, 09:03:46 AM
Quote from: Kickham csc on November 01, 2017, 05:09:12 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 01, 2017, 04:53:31 PM
Quote from: hardstation on November 01, 2017, 04:48:55 PM
Associating with someone who stole from the club to feed a habit is very unlikely to have you and your family intimidated by paramilitaries. Continuing a friendship with a PSNI officer is a whole different ball game, certainly at that time.
The club were put in a very difficult position. It's easy to say a lot of things in hindsight.
It is not a difficult position and required moral courage which appears to have been lacking.
No offence, but your full of shit and have no knowledge of what actually happened.

People with moral courage spoke out for Peadar, and people with moral courage spoke out against.

This was a major divisive issue at the time, and our club was caught in the middle. Nobody stayed quiet who was in support of Peadar. The big issue that he had with the club is related to the club being caught between threats to teams and supporting Peadar.

If it was only the senior team, we wouldn't have cared, but the youth was also included.

So the club tried to manage the situation as best they could
How can you be divided on the blowing up a car with a human being in it? Moral courage means speaking out. The peace process was sufficiently embedded, those threatening Peadar had no right and those speaking against him give succour to the bombers. How can you be divided on a human right? There was a ceasefire, the peace process was in full swing and there is no place for this type of nonsense in a GAA club. But aside from the position at the time it would seem that Peadar's issue is rooted more in what followed and especially after the bombing. You're right I have no knowledge I can only go with what is in the public domain so perhaps the club should seek some professional advice and speak out.

Your making a crazy leap from people being angry at Peadar joining the police and same people wanting him killed. For the people who were against him, they wanted to see changes in the police force before it was accepted in the community and though that Peadar joining the police would actually hinder that change.

Can't speak for everybody, but the vast vast majority of the community were not divided on the attack on Peadar's car, all were horrified and as I've said before, all messages of support were relayed to Peadar through his wide family circle.

The peace process was in full swing, but the police were dragging their feet about implementing the Patten changes that were required to change the police force for the good of the whole community. My community had suffered greatly at the hands of the RUC / Army, so they had a natural journey to travel to acceptance of the police, and what we experienced at that time was part of the journey.

I believe Peadar should be held in high esteem by the club, and I look forward to the day when a reconciliation will be made between Peadar and the club. He was a big part of the club and deserves recognition for what he did while playing for Creggqn and for his courage for what attempted to do for our community while joining the police.

But the demonization of the club by people who don't know the club or a full understanding of the situation is wrong.

Yes it could and should have been handled better, but that's an easy assessment to make after 15 years hindsight and absolutely no understanding of how the community actually felt after the attach on Peadar

Wildweasel74

Did any of this friends/ former footballers visit him after his accident or years since out of interest?

Kickham csc

Yep, but I also know a group of his friends were warned not to visit for a lengthy after the attack time due to security reasons, and due to his condition the instructions from his family was that they were limiting the amount of people visiting him, and that was the position for a number of years. (the amount of operations he went through was shocking)

A lot of friends that Peadar had at the club who were supportive of him have moved (US, UK, Republic and tryone :)) so I wouldn't know who many still keep in touch, and that is something that I'd hold my hands up to say should have been done better.

T Fearon

Brolly? Was his parents not members of a party that approved of the actual killing of Northern Police Officers not all that long ago?

screenexile

Quote from: T Fearon on November 02, 2017, 02:32:44 PM
Brolly? Was his parents not members of a party that approved of the actual killing of Northern Police Officers not all that long ago?

I saw a quote on Twitter somewhere:

QuoteU know, if Martin McGuinness had sanctioned the maiming of Peadar Heffron, it wouldn't have been so bad. But Martin hadn't, so it was wrong.

Walter Cronc

Who quoted that SE??

screenexile

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 02, 2017, 02:59:46 PM
Who quoted that SE??

Maybe didn't phrase that right. . .

I quoted it off some dude on twitter!

Walter Cronc

longballin

Quote from: screenexile on November 02, 2017, 02:39:37 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 02, 2017, 02:32:44 PM

I saw a quote on Twitter somewhere:

QuoteU know, if Martin McGuinness had sanctioned the maiming of Peadar Heffron, it wouldn't have been so bad. But Martin hadn't, so it was wrong.

or maybe you made it up...

Orchard park

Tommy Conlon a blushirter par excellence hardly a trustworthy source

He had enough apologising to do to Brolly in the past

Orchard park

Which he normally has to apologise for when threatened with law

longballin

Quote from: Orchard park on November 02, 2017, 04:09:37 PM

Is that the dose from Monaghan?

Itchy

Quote from: longballin on November 02, 2017, 04:51:31 PM

A dose from monaghan, ffs narrow it down a bit will ya.

longballin

Quote from: Itchy on November 02, 2017, 07:23:55 PM
Quote from: longballin on November 02, 2017, 04:51:31 PM

A dose from monaghan, ffs narrow it down a bit will ya.

:D