Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

There is always 2 sides to a story Kickham, I knew that there would have been players of his age group that he was friends with would have had sensible view on things, but for him 3 plus the chairman on a team of 25 or more wouldnt have been much support.. You're club should use that post as a comment, though getting into an arguement over it wont look good either way!

Spotlight on your club is the worst! strippers one week PSNI the next! clubs are taking a bashing in the closed season!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Kickham csc

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 30, 2017, 12:25:25 PM
There is always 2 sides to a story Kickham, I knew that there would have been players of his age group that he was friends with would have had sensible view on things, but for him 3 plus the chairman on a team of 25 or more wouldnt have been much support.. You're club should use that post as a comment, though getting into an arguement over it wont look good either way!

Spotlight on your club is the worst! strippers one week PSNI the next! clubs are taking a bashing in the closed season!
For clarification, about one spoke out against him joining and four spoke out in support during the team meeting, so from that meeting, I don't think Peadar would have any concerns about support, what happen in the months and years after the meeting would be him main issue.

Knowing the club, they will feel that getting into an argument over it wont benefit anybody and they will not comment.

If Creggan are to handle it, they will handle it will be through an EGM to discuss the issue within the community. The club has grown over the past 10-20 years, and "new blood" has come in which I suspect this has diluted the political views within the club, so I expect them to address it as a club to ensure everyone will have a fair and balanced view of the article.

T Fearon

Why was Brolly chosen to conduct this interview,and not one of independent media's professional journalists,of which there are many?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: T Fearon on October 30, 2017, 01:15:24 PM
Why was Brolly chosen to conduct this interview,and not one of independent media's professional journalists,of which there are many?

He has had dealings with him before? you read the article? Local Gaa man, panelist on the Sunday game, outspoken, liked and disliked its seems in equal measures.. why not Joe?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Snapchap

Quote from: inthrough on October 30, 2017, 09:05:24 AM
...The PSNI was the result of those efforts. Was it perfect? No. Is it perfect today? No. But guess what? No police force is perfect...

Doesn't that imply that it's a) almost perfect, and/or b) no worse than other imperfect forces? Given the lengths the PSNI is still going to in order to cover up state collusion surely it deserves to be held to higher standards this?

On 28th July, the PSNI was found guilty of breaching the human rights of the families of the Glenanne Gang's victims. It was found to have "frustrated any possibility of an effective investigation" into the activities of a mass-murder gang that the RUC was so deeply involved in. In other words, they were trying to frustrate any investigation into the mass-murder of around 120 people, perpetrated by a group which included a large number of RUC officers and security force personnel. As part of the judgement, the High Court ordered the PSNI to meet with the families before 4th September. It ignored this legally biding court order and did not meet the families.

If someone wants to join such an organisation, that's their decision and I don't condone or support for a second any form of attacks on such people, but while it is an organisation that works to cover up state collusion of so many civilians, and treats the victims families with such shocking levels of disdain, then it's not a police force that I'd ever want to be a part of.

http://www.patfinucanecentre.org/collusion/families-bereaved-glenanne-gang-still-waiting-hear-psni

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Snapchap on October 30, 2017, 01:49:40 PM
...The PSNI was the result of those efforts. Was it perfect? No. Is it perfect today? No. But guess what? No police force is perfect...

Doesn't that imply that it's a) almost perfect, and/or b) no worse than other imperfect forces? Given the lengths the PSNI is still going to in order to cover up state collusion surely it deserves to be held to higher standards this?

On 28th July, the PSNI was found guilty of breaching the human rights of the families of the Glenanne Gang's victims. It was found to have "frustrated any possibility of an effective investigation" into the activities of a mass-murder gang that the RUC was so deeply involved in. In other words, they were trying to frustrate any investigation into the mass-murder of around 120 people, perpetrated by a group which included a large number of RUC officers and security force personnel. As part of the judgement, the High Court ordered the PSNI to meet with the families before 4th September. It ignored this legally biding court order and did not meet the families.

If someone wants to join such an organisation, that's their decision and I don't condone or support for a second any form of attacks on such people, but while it is an organisation that works to cover up state collusion of so many civilians, and treats the victims families with such shocking levels of disdain, then it's not a police force that I'd ever want to be a part of.

http://www.patfinucanecentre.org/collusion/families-bereaved-glenanne-gang-still-waiting-hear-psni

So if a 23 year old Catholic joined, has never known NI to be anything other than the peace process, no baggage from family history or any other stuff, you'd think less of him/her because of it? He'd be dealing with the day to day, rather than the historical cases that are coming up, for me that's a problem from the top or ex RUC not the new lads and lasses surely?

You can't fix something from outside, new people joining can only make it better (in time) this element of collusion needs to rest with the ones that carried it out, blaming new cops is a bit silly

Whats your view on a proper police force?

red hander

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 30, 2017, 03:20:43 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on October 30, 2017, 01:49:40 PM

So if a 23 year old Catholic joined, has never known NI to be anything other than the peace process, no baggage from family history or any other stuff, you'd think less of him/her because of it? He'd be dealing with the day to day, rather than the historical cases that are coming up, for me that's a problem from the top or ex RUC not the new lads and lasses surely?

You can't fix something from outside, new people joining can only make it better (in time) this element of collusion needs to rest with the ones that carried it out, blaming new cops is a bit silly

Whats your view on a proper police force?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-35123352

The PSNI couldn't even be arsed to properly investigate the attack on 'one of their own'. Anything to do with the fact he was a Fenian, do you think? After all, the RUC had form for that. And last week's quashing of the PSNI's decision not to pursue investigations into the Hooded Men scandal would suggest to me a leopard can't change its spots ... a lot of people at the top of the PSNI were there before its makeover. How much has really changed?

Il Bomber Destro

The atmosphere around the PSNI now and their inception has changed significantly. There would still be a mistrust between the nationalist community and police force I would feel but nowhere near the level it would have been at the start. I would still have misgivings about the PSNI but that's the choice of those who join it, my objection would not have been as strong as it once was.

It's a sad story but the GAA club is just a proxy here in what would have been felt throughout any strong nationalist community on one of their own joining the PSNI at that time.

Wildweasel74

So is it ok to join the police force now??

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 30, 2017, 06:19:01 PM

It's as ok as joining the Ra

vallankumous

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 30, 2017, 10:46:50 AM
Val in a way you like our equivalent of a die hard dup supporter; still stuck in the past! You all be happy if the police was 100% protestant like the good ole days! How come he was shudded in creggan but when a lad where i live done the same 10-12yrs ago there wasnt a problem; people maybe suprised but nobody took offence or wished him harm! Creggan come out if this looking very poorly especially after the bomb

I'm very much I  the present but I didn't get here from the future.

You do not need to make assumptions about me, just ask and I'll give my opinion.
I don't call them the good old days and I would not be happy with a 100% police force from any one background.

paddyjohn

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on October 30, 2017, 07:22:33 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 30, 2017, 06:55:44 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 30, 2017, 06:19:01 PM

It's as ok as joining the Ra

They don't exist anymore.

Well someone was getting their knees done the other night! And it wasn't the Christian brothers doing it

Avondhu star

The G.F.A is finished. People have abandoned any middle ground
Just look at the triumphalism from sf after the Assembly election and the dup after the Westminster election when they knew they had the balance of power.
They're welcome to each other
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Avondhu star on October 30, 2017, 08:17:18 PM
The G.F.A is finished. People have abandoned any middle ground
Just look at the triumphalism from sf after the Assembly election and the dup after the Westminster election when they knew they had the balance of power.
They're welcome to each other

I don't know how old you are or where you grew up, but I'm seriously glad my children don't have to to grow up in an environment that I had to!

GFA might be shite but it's over 3000 times better than before it